Op-1 discontinued?!

Did Steeezo just become a billionaire in net worth?

“My investment just tripled overnight” :smiley:

That was a joke BTW, my OP-1’s ain’t going nowhere, no matter what ridiculous sums they start selling for.

Got an email back from TE this morning. Definitely not discontinued. So, that’s good news. Updates, changes, prices… no idea, but more OP-1 action is coming. Lots of nice pieces on the market at the moment for $2000-$9000 if anyone doesn’t want to wait. :wink:

I now feel like the opposite of that time I sold my Fender Rhodes that was handed down to me - I’m never going to sell my OP1 :smiley:

I agree with @punji in that I see the “Electron MkII” treatment to use new components that aren’t end-of-line or near so, to spiff it up a bit, and perhaps add a faster (similar) processor and memory and update to USB-C, BTle.

This would minimize the software engineering required “right now” for release, but open up possibilities in future. Since the OP-1 demand is obviously still there it would be a waste to not have something to fulfill the demand. When you think about synths over the years, an OP-1 could last a very long time.

I believe the hardware of the OP-Z was completed a while back mostly, and that the software has been taking a while. Perhaps the hardware guys have already started on a mkII?

The other consideration with a small company like TE is that they would have really wanted OP-Z in full production selling like crazy to provide a solid income on which to commit the R&D resources/min part quantities for an “OP1mkii”.

Clearly my balls are crystal :wink:

@FLDPLN said:
Got an email back from TE this morning. Definitely not discontinued. So, that’s good news. Updates, changes, prices… no idea, but more OP-1 action is coming. Lots of nice pieces on the market at the moment for $2000-$9000 if anyone doesn’t want to wait. :wink:

Haha…now people wanting to sell gotta act quick. Cause we all know what happens to mkI prices when a mkII drops

(EDIT: moved here => https://www.operator-1.com/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/61633/#Comment_61633 )

Via Teenage Engineering email:

…but you can anywhere in between :disappointed:

That’s a relief!

I’ll second that!

“updating the hardware platform” :slight_smile:

Maybe the ebayer will get a conscious moment and will bet on his own offer so that Noone has to pay this ridiculous price.

But could be also a successful superstar trying to get any Op-1 that’s available for their next show…

@mixrasta Permission to use “Successful Superstar” as my next album title?

That might just work for TE. An OP-1mk2 with updated hardware (and later firmware) while the cult status OP1 fetches prices in the thousands. Want the latest updates, sell your classic first. Everybody happy.

Wasn’t it already very clear that those high bids all came from the same two or three accounts? They jumped up from 1200 to 2600 and so on. I don’t think anyone actually paid that much money for an OP-1.

A couple for $2000 and one for $2700… A few for $1500 or so…

An all-black mk2 op-1 would be cool. Thought I remember seeing a picture of one a while back…

@skintechnician said:
An all-black mk2 op-1 would be cool. Thought I remember seeing a picture of one a while back…

Yeah someone on here painted his one black (or was it plastidip or something?)

wow huge respect to TE for that email. they could easily start moving units at that price or employees could get first dibs and re sell. Truely makes me want to buy the opz more.