OP-1 field feature requests

It has a sampler. Which can be used granular? Just trim those samples and modulate them.add some very short delay Voila. Granular.

2 Likes

There are two things missing from the sampler necessary for making it a reasonable granular engine.

1. Ability to modulate beginning of the looping portion without changing duration of the loop. I.e. the end of the loop has to be an offset, rather than an absolute position.

2. Different logic for decay portion of the sample. Instead of just playing the decay portion, it would have to play the looping portion until the decay can cover the rest. Frankly, this would be a very desirable feature in its own right. It’s a shame this is not how it works on Field. I understand there are some minor edge cases to think of, but OP-1 deals with stuff like this everywhere.

I always felt this is a huge missed opportunity. As far as I know, none of these things are a huge technical lift and the same features would make the sampler capable of using wave tables.

Let me clarify the second part. Let’s say you have a sample with 0.1 second Attack, 0.1 second Loop and 0.1 second Decay. Then you set your envelope to .5 second attack and .5 second decay.

Current behavior: the synth will play ‘ALLLL’ during attack portion of the envelope, but will play ‘AD’ during the decay portion and then just cut off.

Desired behavior: ‘ALLLL’ during envelope attack ‘LLLLD’ during the decay.

3 Likes

Assigning LFO to sequencers would be a game changer

2 Likes

It would be awesome if it would be possible to change the input from stereo to mono when recording a guitar for example. Toggle mono/stereo could be switched by clicking the blue encoder.

1 Like

That’s not the same. That’s you or me making a granular sound. I’m talking an actual synth where it can be played on the keys. I mean this is a $2000 item. We should expect nothing less than the best.

Just turn the brown encoder and voila the feature is magically added.
Sometimes the color in the display is giving a hint of an interaction with the corresponding knob.
Unfortunately this color scheme is not as consistent in the OP-1 field as it was with the OG-1.

1 Like

Yeah easy is nice but diy is better :grinning:. Look up :Iannis Xenakis. He invented granular synthesis with tonegenerators and tape splicing. Sounds familiair?
For me OP-1 is about experimentation, but. I would love a REAL granular synth in the op-1field and the OG op-1.

1 Like

Haha, and I have been soldering special cables for this… :joy: thank you so much the information!

4 Likes

not a full solution but you could hard pan things in tape tracks to get 8 mono tracks for use in a daw for arrangement? I havent actually tried this yet but unless there is bleed from one channel to the other even with hard panning i dont see any reason it wouldn’t. Only problem is it would sound weird as hell like oldschool mono recordings with drums on the left or right haha (could just monitor in mono too though)

Layering

you can do it with the opz hooked up to the op1s midi lfo.

Shift function on drum second screen for changing ADSR to a traditional(and maybe more experimental ones?). That would help me so muchhh

If they could get it to work with all modern, class-compliant usb-c audio interfaces, that would be nice. Tried to use my MOTU ultralite mk5 last night and… nothing. I thought this was supposed to work.

this is literally the only thing i want at this point

Hi, two features for dbox would be really great:

• Ability to revert the whole thing to default like with other engines. I understand that shift has a different purpose in dbox, but there definitely should be a way to do that
  • Ability to copy/paste a note. Each time I want to make a 100% similar kick but pitched down and put it on another key, I have to microtune it spending a lot of extra time. Copying it instead would be more motivating.

lift + drop doesn’t copy/paste in dbox?
it does in drum sampler

No, it doesn’t work that way.

However I just realized, that Shift + Synth or Shift + Drum work only if you are working with one of 8 presets. It reverts a preset to its initial state. Would be cool if it worked always, right after you choose an engine, and want to revert it to default state

thats strange i just tested it on my OG
and lift + drop definatley copy and pastes in DBOX
from one key to another

are u sure it doesn’t work on field?
weird that they wouldn’t bring that over

Thank you, it finally worked.
I tried Lift / Drop + button at first. Should have pressed button + Lift / Drop instead

Single biggest change I want is to the Element LFO. Current sources are G-force, External inout (mic/line/radio/usb), Envelope (T2) and Master output Sum. I don’t want the main output. Hardly ever. I want tracks 1-4. Kick drum on track one, bass on track 2 with lfo triggered from track 1. For example. Many other creative uses though. A string part on a track could ‘follow’ the level of vocals on another track. Really want this.

4 Likes