OP-1 Tips and Tricks

ohpeewon
help
tutorial
op1

I’ve been hooking up my Zoom H5 field recorder via line out, to the input of the OP-1 for a really good quality mic for sampling. And you don’t have to have the audio material recorded, the mic can just be live a go straight into the tape or OP-1 sampler.

I've been hooking up my Zoom H5 field recorder via line out, to the input of the OP-1 for a really good quality mic for sampling. And you don't have to have the audio material recorded, the mic can just be live a go straight into the tape or OP-1 sampler.

Nice idea, i have an H1 used to capture rehersal sessions, though it is nowhere near studio mic/preamp quality it is really decent. Should try and hook it up to the OP1 soon :slight_smile:

@jurfin yes, just like that. Another tipp (not found by me) that goes into the same direction is to use the Sketch sequencer and put in a sustained C plus a line one encoder-click up and one down. Though you loose polyphony you'll get some detuned oscillator sound.

I enjoy adding a few tasteful bends on the three notes, then you can even resample back into synth for poly.

I assume y'all mostly know, but you can fast forward the stutter effect tape trick.

how mate?

I assume y'all mostly know, but you can fast forward the stutter effect tape trick.

how mate?

When you have the stutter button held down, press the FF and RRW buttons an the stutter speeds up/slows down.

Another trick is to use the stutter button, press it repeatedly and it creeps backwards through the tape, so you can get some reverse granular stuff happening. If you time it right it can be a great intro for a song

Thanks Mill <3

Damn you guys are dropping the knowledge. So many hidden tricks.

This thread is so awesome!
Do you guys think it would be ok if I write these tricks together and post them on my blog? I think there is so much great stuff written here but I find it inconvenient having to read the whole thread over and over again whenever I forgot something and think it woul be nice to have these tricks somewhat ordered :slight_smile:

This thread is so awesome! Do you guys think it would be ok if I write these tricks together and post them on my blog? I think there is so much great stuff written here but I find it inconvenient having to read the whole thread over and over again whenever I forgot something and think it woul be nice to have these tricks somewhat ordered :)

That would be awesome, but you must provide a link :slight_smile:

hello

the op-1 can hold notes without re-triggering them a.k.a latch / drone

use endless
shift + blue encoder go into manual (crank) mode
register notes/chords with shift + notes
turn blue encoder to shift between registered notes

use portamento set to max for maximum satisfaction

enjoy your free hands

Just discovered, that you can undo and redo the drawings in Sketch Mode: Shift+Blue encoder to the left for undo your drawing, Shift+blue encoder to the right: redo drawing.

If you want to transpose the finger sequencer (or other) use shift + Mertonome to detune the master input

I accidentally found out that the op-1 does some sort of normalization for you. only tried it in drum mode yet.

when you have a sample in drum mode just press lift and drop. the sample vol will be increased all over you chops however the red vol indicator is still +0 so you can still turn it down.

note sure if this is common knowledge but i think it didn’t got mentioned here yet.

GODDAMN HOW DID I NOT KNOW THIS TILL NOW:

YOU CAN SHIFT+GREEN ON FM, TO GET EVERY POSSIBLE FREQUENCY COMBINATION. NON_SHIFT TURNING DOESN’T HIT EVERY OPTION.

fm might be surpassing dr wave as my go-to fav op-1 synth engine…

YOU CAN SHIFT+GREEN ON FM, TO GET EVERY POSSIBLE FREQUENCY COMBINATION. NON_SHIFT TURNING DOESN'T HIT EVERY OPTION.

fm might be surpassing dr wave as my go-to fav op-1 synth engine..

I didn’t know dis.

Tanks

YOU CAN SHIFT+GREEN ON FM, TO GET EVERY POSSIBLE FREQUENCY COMBINATION. NON_SHIFT TURNING DOESN'T HIT EVERY OPTION.

fm might be surpassing dr wave as my go-to fav op-1 synth engine..

Wait, are you sure? I think it just goes through the frequencies slowly (i.e. fine adjustment like in LFO etc)

There’s definitely more frequencies to choose from when you press shift. Thanks a lot for this @beefinator! It’s not just more possibilities for sound sculpting, but also great to make a slowly evolving drone sound. I used this trick for my latest battle entry.

In this regard, Shift + red knob is also interesting… Always shift + things !

And with an LFO on green or red you can add further craziness :smiley:

I use an arp on latch when experimenting for synthesizing a sound… Very helpful.

Just found out some tape mode magic: Shift + Blue encoder lets you pick up and move a tape snippet. In tape mode, you can use the Blue encoder to scroll through the tape, if you set the loop markers close, you can get more details. Now if you press shift and turn the encoder while the cursor highlights a short section on a track it sticks to the encoder and snaps to the left to match without a gap if there is another snippet on the track. if you move the blue encoder to the other direction while holding shift, it just moves the snippet around.

Another one with the Arpeggioator:

1. arpeggiate a sound (1/16 with some gaps with the white encoder)
  2. record to tape
  3. cut and paste a short section into the sampler
  4. adjust envelops to max (straight square)
  5. play thes arpeggio-sample with the arpeggiator on (experiment with another pattern, setting)
  6. Only part of the sample will play but with interessting and fresh new arpeggio sounds.