OP-1 Update 2016

Any updates on a hard date for this yet? Patiently waiting impatientlyā€¦

Got a new OP-1, again with O.S. 14510 although this unitā€™s serial number is slightly older (in the 19ā€™000s).

Looking forward to an O.S. update, but I have lotā€™s of things to explore in the current O.S. :slight_smile: So far everything seems very intuitive except for the tape, hope I will get used to itā€¦

Tape is easy and explorative, just follow the flow ; )

mine gets stuck pixels sometimes. they are red. usually cleared up with a couple reboots/resets

Got a new OP-1, again with O.S. 14510 although this unit's serial number is slightly older (in the 19'000s).

Looking forward to an O.S. update, but I have lotā€™s of things to explore in the current O.S. :slight_smile: So far everything seems very intuitive except for the tape, hope I will get used to itā€¦

I just learned a few new things on the tape myself, using shift+tape button and shift+green knob to change the loop length while the tape is playing. Other than these last couple of things (which have made a big difference in my live arrangements), the tape has been quite logical. Donā€™t be afraid to ask questions around these parts. :slight_smile:

Also, discovered that the tape lift and drop keys act as copy/paste in the drum kits too. Great for taking a drum hit and copying it and tuning it differently.

@AdamJay, I suggest you read this thread entirely :smiley:

I feel like you might contribute at some point !

I bought an iPad 18 months ago. I thought I would love it, and I sure have spent (wasted) a bundle on apps that do neat things for music. But ultimately, the glass interface wasn't, isn't for me. And I've heard this from other musicians. Tactile control has serious value.

Also, I canā€™t really use the iPad like a computer replacement I hoped I would. The file system ainā€™t exactly wide open.
For how much I paid, a used 11" MacBook Air would have gotten me farther with the same benefits of portability.
And it depreciates in value much faster than an Apple laptop. I could probably only get $250-$300 for it if I sold it.

Paid about $700 for my OP-1 in trade value. Considering the original owner bought it new for $850 in June, thatā€™s a far slower rate of depreciation.

Iā€™ve had a similar experience. I do think that there are a couple of apps (e.g. Animoog, Borderlands Granular) that make interesting use of the interface, allowing you to do neat things you canā€™t do on a laptop. But other than that, I often find myself going back to hardware/laptop when I want to get ā€˜seriousā€™. I end up mostly using the iPad to amuse myself on the bus and making small loops that eventually I just end up sending to Abelton on my laptop, or sampling on my OP-1.

https://www.operator-1.com/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/25265/#Comment_25265

@yoof reduced patchs to a fraction of size

should be included in the update.

with this mod / hack the op-1 could hold 1000's patches in memory,
by striping the audio "this is a op-1 patch" from the aiff files.

OP1 PATCH. you will never be forgotten. but you wont be missed 1000 patches WOOOTT. now i dont have to decide if i need all of cuckoos 8bit patches or every drum sample i collected!

side note- thank you to all the people who upload their patches. you rule. and so do your patches.

sidenotesidenote. if i could random gen patches on the op1 and label them on the op1 i would be so happy.

OP1 PATCH. you will never be forgotten. but you wont be missed 1000 patches WOOOTT. now i dont have to decide if i need all of cuckoos 8bit patches or every drum sample i collected!

If this was to make it into an update then would increase storage for non sample based patches only.

fully switching to dsynth drums in 3. 2. 1.

more quirks to the op1 BRING IT ON. its so quirky i love it. ill let the fanboyism stop nowā€¦

i wouldnā€™t say no to a way to control more than 4 parameters via midi. how about 4 engine + 4 fx at the same time? how about midi-mapping the entire op1: 4 engine, 4 env, 4 fx, 2 mod amt/dest, 4 eq, 4+4 mixer?

dunno about (and have nothing against) models chewing gum, but many of us use the op1 along with other gear in live scenarios, so faffing around to find a parameter thatā€™s controlled by a slow and clicking endless knob, quickly gets on your nerves. this is aside from the bugsā€¦ 0-99 in half 0-127 span cc anyone?

i wouldn't say no to a way to control more than 4 parameters via midi. how about 4 engine + 4 fx at the same time? how about midi-mapping the entire op1: 4 engine, 4 env, 4 fx, 2 mod amt/dest, 4 eq, 4+4 mixer?
dunno about (and have nothing against) models chewing gum, but many of us use the op1 along with other gear in live scenarios, so faffing around to find a parameter that's controlled by a slow and clicking endless knob, quickly gets on your nerves. this is aside from the bugs.. 0-99 in half 0-127 span cc anyone?

Iā€™m doubtful that the OP-1 cpu can handle 4 engines and 4 effects simultaneously. The OP-Z on the other hand is purported to be multitimbral, so maybe it will be a possibility on that unit. Itā€™s also slated to have the same synthesis and effects engines as the OP-1.

I think @eesn meant 4 engine parameters and 4 fx parameters etc

I think @eesn meant 4 engine parameters and 4 fx parameters etc

Ah, that probably is what they meant

I'm doubtful that the OP-1 cpu can handle 4 engines and 4 effects simultaneously. The OP-Z on the other hand is purported to be multitimbral, so maybe it will be a possibility on that unit. It's also slated to have the same synthesis and effects engines as the OP-1.

I mean a way to control the 4 parameters on the active engine along with the 4 on the active effect. I'd disagree it's a 'creative' limitation. Even a silly Nanokontrol puts at least 16 parameters under your fingertips.
I mean a way to control the 4 parameters on the active engine along with the 4 on the active effect. I'd disagree it's a 'creative' limitation. Even a silly Nanokontrol puts at least 16 parameters under your fingertips.
That would be pretty nice