OP-Z button issues - retrig, stiffness

The fact that not everyone is complaining about this issue seems to indicate that it is a manufacturing problem that only affects some units. Maybe the design is not robust, I.e. it does not properly take into account the variability of the components and materials used. More worrisome is if the issue may develop after production, with usage. The fact that the keyboard is non-serviceable is probably causing a big loss for TE here. I just hope they fix the root cause soon with a new HW revision.

1 Like

i guess it’s really rare but the ones with retrigs do post their questions and searching for help.

i guess i‘ve been the first starting a discussion about that and after an exchange the OP-Z is such a breeze but as always the first units of everything produced do have flaws and they often just start within a production…

that’s what the guaranty is for. which is Fine

Hmmm, I might need to exchange mine too :cry:

Hey, original poster here.
I went to the store here in Stockholm where i bought my OP-Z.
They were happy to exchange it for another unit after showing them the issues it had.
They even opened a new box for me to check for any issues on the new OP-Z.
My new OP-Z has zero issues. Love it! All buttons are very reliable and works as expected.

Im now very happy with my OP-Z. ( just wish it was slightly larger :stuck_out_tongue: )

1 Like

I would never buy anything with my fingers crossed, hoping its a ‘good’ one, let alone an instrument that costs that much (head scratch). It should be built like a tank, not a toy. Sounds like it was released before being thoroughly used and tested.

1 Like

Great to hear! May I ask what store you got it from? I’m considering picking one up next week for some portable beatmaking during my summer vacation. Reading about these issues has unfortunately been holding me back a bit though …

I agree with you. Actually had no idea about these issues when i bought it two weeks ago.

Got my OP-Z from 4Sound at Södermalm.
The OP-Z is a great summer companion. I’ve been beatmaking in sunny parks. :sunglasses::headphones:

I really struggle to see the LEDs even in the shade outside, you don’t have any issues like this when using your’s?

Actually yes. I can barely see the leds in sunlight. I try to not rely so much on them - more muscle memory. But when i really need to see the leds i shade them with a hand.

same. but I think they’re a lil bit brighter after 1.2.5 !? :fire:

1 Like

I ended up ordering one that arrived yesterday. My whole night got lost to it, such a fun device. :smile:

I noticed some buttons was a little bit skewed, but I don’t think I encountered any retrigs yet. I think there was some sound/sampling issues though:
Sampling from iPhone sounded fine while previewing, but the recording got distorted (no fx send, and same result with different input gains) and sometimes the microphone input got super crackling and weird, to the point that it was not possible to hear what was sampled (same issue both for internal mic and headset mic). A restart fixed that issue temporarily. After a few restarts the sampling did not distort either.
The buttons also became kind of unresponsive and with some latency while connected to the iphone over usb, so I needed to disconnect from that to be able to keep recording melodies. Maybe thats because of some midi settings or something, I’ll have to dig in to that a bit more tonight.

Anyone with similar issues?

I have encountered the same mic audio bug. Sounds like it’s bitcrushed. Must be a bug.
It’s gone after a restart.

Hi all,

Just want to update my experience with my op-z which had the retrigger buttons.
I sent it back to the shop (italy) on 11th July. Then they sent it to the TE, where they decided to send it back a new one.
I received it yesterday afternoon, so exactly 2 weeks from the day I sent it to the shop.

Now, I’m hoping that this unit will not have any issues, but, from my point of view, I’m really happy with TE customer support.

Sure, these 2 weeks were really hard without my beloved opz :smiley:

This seems to confirm that the keys are non-serviceable, which is a deal breaker for me that can’t easily ship it back for repair (the risk of getting a lemon is simple to high given that there are so many complaints about this issue).

1 Like

Or they just don’t have parts yet.

just buy it new and you’re covered

Same problem for me, I tested three OP-Z, and had a lot of problems with key retrigs, sometimes was like an arcade game machine with auto fire, OP-Z has very good concept but the product quality deserve more for me, is a problem that can appear with the time, and with a limited warranty time, I prefer to spend my money on more trustly gear. Anyway I have fun with pocket operators, maybe it fails sometimes but are 10 times cheaper that OP-Z. I hope that sometime this problem will be fixed, I had very funny times with OP-Z, but also so many frustating times. Maybe if TE can fix this problem, I will give a change to OP-Z in the future.