OP-Z custom chromatic samples without OP-1: hacky solution

is this still working? it wont download anything for me after upload on any device i have from any browser. i see the 1.1.27 update fix some issues with ready aiff files with out metedata. but idk if i still need to do this to get chromotic samples or not. ive already tried your method with out the upload and download of the add time make freqency.

This site doesn’t seem to be working any more (chrome on a mac).

https://gerotakke.de/op-z-sample/

It’s a real shame, is there any other way to convert < 6 second one shot wav samples into an aiff that will work on import to a one shot sample slot on the opz?

i believe they updated the Z a while ago to handle import WAV and AIFF directly

either way pretty much any audio program will convert wav’s to aiff’s as well

edit yea 1.1.27 they added this functionality
https://teenage.engineering/downloads/op-z

Thanks but… Just tried dropping a 4 second 16bit 44.1 wav into the tenth folder of the lead instrument (6) any it’s not showing up in configurator. I guess I must be doing something wrong.

It’s a shame samples are all such hard work. I love the portability and the sequencer but the sounds in the opz are really boring to me.

Sorry, I realise I’m now being that guy on a forum who’s a bit annoyed about a thing and gets mean spirited about a whole device, but it is pretty opaque on sample transfer.

I put it in the folder, it doesn’t show up in configurator, and the next time I attach on USB it’s not there in the folder any more, it’s been deleted.

The device isn’t failing very informatively! What am I missing?

I tried using the op1 drum utility to prepare my single shot sample as suggested here, that didn’t work either.

The disk absolutely isn’t full.

When I add a short sample into any of the ten folders in the Lead folder, it disappears. The number button to select it doesn’t light up when the unit reboots, and when I put the opz back into usb mode there is nothing in the folder, the sample has been deleted. There is nothing in the Rejected folder, despite the how_to_import.txt file in the root directory of the OPZ stating:

5. if any content was rejected, it will end up in a folder named
   'rejected' on this disk the next time content mode is entered.

This is pretty mystifying, any help or advice gratefully received!

what does your import.log file say?
maybe some insight in there?

1 Like

Ah didn’t know that existed! Informative in the sense that it tells me the sample has failed, but not why.

Raw wav, and aiff (created by op1 drum creator, as someone in forum said one sample in that makes something compatible as an opz synth sample) both failed, no clue to why. Both mono, less than six seconds, 44.1, 16bit. Wonder if anyone has any ideas? I really don’t want to manually re-sample everything I want to transfer!

[IMPORT STARTED]
Reading content disk…SUCCESS
Calculating used sample space…8.9/24.0 MB
importing bassoonstac.aiff…invalid synth sample
Syncronizing rejected
Syncronizing config
Syncronizing projects
Syncronizing bounces
Rebuilding plug definitions…SUCCESS
[IMPORT COMPLETE]

[IMPORT STARTED]
Reading content disk…SUCCESS
clearing lead/10/
Calculating used sample space…7.9/24.0 MB
importing Clarinet.WAV…invalid file
Syncronizing rejected
Syncronizing config
Syncronizing projects
Syncronizing bounces
Rebuilding plug definitions…SUCCESS
[IMPORT COMPLETE]

Ah, odd. “Get info” in Finder on Mac said they were 16 bit but actually in Audacity they were 32bit floating. Exporting and re-trying at 16bit and they work fine. Sorry to be a bore!