OP-Z Delayed AGAIN

If you’re feeling upset (and you could) maybe you should talk with a digitakt user about overbridge lol

@DJ2D said:
If you’re feeling upset (and you could) maybe you should talk with a digitakt user about overbridge lol

Haha

@brundan_phraser said:

@stepanok said:
…this is beyond pathetic…not worth a decent answer…

Can you help my understand what you mean? It seems like you’re just being rude and I want to know what you actually think.

I was laying out how I see it because it seemed strange to me that the original poster thinks businesses have a responsibility to manage potential customers’ expectations. That’s scary to me. Why rely on businesses for the management of your expectations? Why need a product so bad that your expectations spin out of control and get you upset?

Im sorry if you found my post rude…i didn’t mean to be rude in anyway…i was just completely amazed about your comment

You say …":The lack of communication and delays and poor customer service and fragile supply chain are realities of their being an uncompromising design group who make products as interesting as the OP-1":…
No one cares about opinions about a company , mine included, such as uncompromising design group etc
what people care about is the product the company actually delivers and how a company can at least be remotely believable and reliable in its announcements…also if Teenage Engineering are idiosyncratic people…i could care less if they are or not…its irrelevant and a excuse for incompetence
Of course they aren’t planning to be inconsiderate…but they are and the problem is that a company that hypes itself so much and misses its targets for 2 years + is a company you cannot trust as a customer
As for the “they’re just not marketing/advertising/PR people”…sorry…but for 2 years that’s all they are doing with this thing" traveling all over the world showing bits of what it will be able to do…
TE can get away with this because of the fanboy obsessed customers…if TE sold toilet seats it would be bankrupt by now with the attitude they have…

thank you

@stepanok I just want to know more about what TE has done when people say have bad attitude. As far as I know they have made one public announcement about release date and they failed to deliver due to some accident in their factory. I’ve also read their support sucks, there are excuses for that. Is there something else I have missed?

@Fattigman said:
@stepanok I just want to know more about what TE has done when people say have bad attitude. As far as I know they have made one public announcement about release date and they failed to deliver due to some accident in their factory. I’ve also read their support sucks, there are excuses for that. Is there something else I have missed?

They havent “done” anything and thats the problem…a company that has become succesfull has to act as one and work as one as well and not act like its run from a garden shed by 3 part time students and their 12 year old brother… Im simply making an observation…many many people preordered this thing nearly 2 years ago…now, as someone posted, preorders will start 31st December…any anouncement has become a joke the stupidest one being the MOMA event !??..

I am willing to bet that TE is never going to release it…and they are simply trying to find the best way to anounce it without completely damaging their reputation…something like " we tried but we are extremely sorry that we cannot deliver what we aimed for because…blah blah "…we will see…its just a booly synth but it just goes to show what happens when success hits you in the head…

@stepanok I agree their communication with the fans is really bad and yes they are acting more like artists and not like a structured and organized company.

If they don’t release the op-z I think that will be the end for the company, nobody will ever trust them again. I’m 99.99% sure they will release this year.

@Fattigman said:
If they don’t release the op-z I think that will be the end for the company, nobody will ever trust them again. I’m 99.99% sure they will release this year.

That’s a bit too much. The OP-1 is still their flagship product and the demand for the PO-33 is surpassing the supply, also they got the IKEA collaboration next year. So I really doubt that would be the end of the company.

I see the OP-Z being a higher volume product than the OP-1 (but less than the PO’s?). Important to get it the hardware right. This was less of an issue on the PO’s as it was much simpler and cheap.

I’ve been on the OP-Z hype train like most everyone, and Im reading to all the arguments and feedback, and I feel that they are all valid. Yes, it is an instrument that doesn’t exist, so relax, and yes; Teenage Engineering is really abusing its customer and fan base.

Here is what I think: Most of us here probably dont have 600$ just lying around. A lot of time and sacrifice as well as cushion diving went into the OP-Z Funds. Here is the thing tho, at least in my case, there have been a number of modules I have been eyeing up for my rack that I could have easily acquired by now – especially on the second hand market. By now, I could have spent that 600$ two or three times over in saving and planning, yet Im holding onto it for that coveted item… that may come out whenever. Now say I buy that Verbos Delay Module that just came out (which is readily available) for 680$, and tomorrow TE says “Hai guize, here are the pre-orders!”, Pre-Orders come out, they sell out immediately, and we are now left with Zeds that are not only in backorder hell for the next 6 months, the only ones that can be touched are now on Reverb and eBay for twice the price of new.

The point is, in order to obtain this gadget, I cant treat it like a solid instrument company such as Arturia, Verbos, Elektron, Mutable. Im not even sure what the parallel would be, however TE knows it, and so they are riding on the hype and they could probably continue to ride on the hype simply because there is no one else doing anything that they are doing. They have zero competition, and the know it. The closest thing I have ever seen is something called the KDJ One.

So yes, basically its vaporware at this point in time, so who cares, and yes, TE is riding a wave of hype at the expense of their customer base and fans, which makes me care very much, cause thats not right.

Also consider too, if this is how they will be with a product that isnt even in production, how will they be with their new and shiny product if it breaks? OP-1 owners seem to have very long backlogs of waiting; how long would the wait be for the “dream machine”? Buy it now, and if it breaks, wait until the next batch or the next iFixit tutorial?

I’m only sure that it will sell out very fast and be on backirder for a long time.

At that price point, I don’t have any means to aquire it anyway…

@punji said:
I’m only sure that it will sell out very fast and be on backirder for a long time.

At that price point, I don’t have any means to aquire it anyway…

All I say is this…to me it’s worth every penny n then some…especially if u like the op-1…I don’t love how they market at all or their customer service butt for me it’s worth more than $600 if u feel the op-1 worth $899

So I’m a late adopter to the OP-1, and synths in general. I have been playing keyboard arrangers that could give me full orchestration (even cheesy-ness) since the '80s…and the OP-1, when I bought it a couple of years ago, opened up a quirky, fun and even somewhat productive new environment for me.

On that note, and being a gadget-eer kind of person myself, I was sucked into the possibility of a next-generation OP anything. That being said, the extended slow-release, virtual entitlement and low-communication effort has been a real turn-off, although I don’t surmise their intent is to be arrogant. But in my view and based on the evidence and price point, they’re definitely not pitching this to the home hobbyist or anyone with a budget. It’s a bit of a decadent investment that hasn’t even demonstrated it’s full capability set in videos or the limited info coming from the manufacturer.

Again - that’s an opinion, and not a judgment on the manufacturer.

Todd R.
Novato, CA

@Sparky you can be almost certain the hardware has long been locked…

As far as I can tell the ad posted on page 1 is by synthtopia (not TE) & even tho it states “coming in May” right after it states “we haven’t seen an official announcement yet”.
In defense of the people that state “TE promised” where can I find these promises?

@Sharris that’s no ad. that’s a “featured snippet” that Google has decided to list first.

@Sharris said:
In defense of the people that state “TE promised” where can I find these promises?

The first announcement was made on the OP-Z preview page, aiming for September '17. It was later changed to “late 2017”, and then disappeared completely. The next (and latest) announcement was made at Superbooth '18, for the MoMA event on July 30th.

@motone it being August now, we’re entering “pre-fall” :]

What eesn posted above def looks like a promise!

So Guitar Center is now saying “September 08, 2018” https://www.guitarcenter.com/Teenage-Engineering/OP-Z-Portable-Synthesizer-and-Sequencer.gc