OP-Z randomly crashes

Hi all,
Got my opz about a month ago, everything working great, had added some samples from op1fun until the other day when after adding a few patches the opz would crash randomly - where it would stop all functions and just the kick track would flash white. Does anyone know what this is or why it is happening? I also paired the opz with an iPad for the first time yesterday and it had the same issue when paired.

Shortly after all this the opz now sometimes doesn’t boot or it takes a lot longer to boot if it does.

Halp!
Thanks in advance!

Hi @Xander how many space is left on th opz? I had the same issue after loading too much samples on it.

It’s my understanding that some patches aren’t 100% compatible with the OP-Z and can cause stability issues. Have you tried doing a factory reset (back up your data first!) to see if the issue persists?

Yesterday the same thing happened, everything stopped only white flashing kick track, but I just played with stock sounds( finger playing chords) . Did factory reset because op-Z did not want to start, it’s working for now

Hey all,

Thanks for all the replies! I checked and still had around 20mb of storage left on the opz.

I removed the sample packs that I had put on there from when I noticed the issue, I think @_bt is right and think it was an incompatible sample, all of the ones I have put on there previously were only a few hundred Kilobytes, there was one that was nearly a 1MB which might be the issue?

The ipad app hasn’t crashed it either so everything looks okay, and now can view samples in the configurator (which seemed to previously crash the unit). I will keep you posted if it happens again, or try a factory reset if it does. @dimadjembe do you know if this issue also occurred when you loaded up new samples?

Thanks everyone!

I am also experiencing occasional crashes with the Z going into firmware upgrade mode. The OP-Z writes an entry in the crash log that should help TE sorting things out. Maybe something with the file system? wild guess

Hi, i haven’t try it yet

Okay so it seems like the issue is still persisting, has anyone had any success with a factory reset?

Hey! I’ve had the same problem, this has persisted on some models since probably day 1. So far I haven’t found out what the actual problem is, but a factory reset seems just like a temporary fix, since it will crash again after some time. It does work a little better though since the .23 (?) firmware release.

tl;dr: try removing custom sample packs via the Config screen in the OPZ app. Especially if the crash is related to a trigger on a track with a custom pack (even if it came from the OPZ app itself).

If you connect your OP-Z to a computer as though you’re using the OP-Z Mac app or routing MIDI to software on your Desktop/Laptop computer, then it makes sense that when the OPZ crashes, it immediately drops into the firmware upgrade mode because that also displays a folder of the crash logs.

I noticed this frequently on my device after playing with the Configure screen in the OPZ app (frustratingly getting different results on different devices on different days). I’ve factory reset my device a few times too, trying to pinpoint some issues.

It seems that my crash logs mention “redmountPerc.aif” so I have a clue as to the culprit. I’m guessing that during transfer from the OPZ app or sometime afterwards (, I can’t tell), this file became corrupted, and the unit just didn’t like it. Ironically, trashing the “redmountPerc.aif” file from the sample packs directory did not remove the pack, and instead I removed it from the Config screen within the OPZ app, and it seems my device is more stable.

UPDATE:

Hi all, so I contacted TE over the crashing issues, they offered to replace the unit, which was great. I’ve just received a new unit today (live in AUS so it was around a 3-4 week process to send my old one and have a new one shipped). The unit I received looks to be in pretty good condition, only problem is that the green and yellow dials don’t feel very smooth (my original was) and at a point when you rotate it, feels like it’s scratching or getting caught/stuck. Has anyone else encountered this issue?

best.

Did TE give you any indication as to what was going on? I’ve had a crash like this happen randomly a couple of times and am wondering if it is purely a software issue or if there might be something going on with my particular hardware as well.

No real indication of it was hardware or software fault. When I sent them the crash logs they responded pretty quickly and said it had crashed in 3 different ways and wanted to replace the whole unit. That’s as much as I know. Ive done some more searching around and people have crash issues with loaded samples, have you got any on yours? For me I had some loaded, and put a few new ones on, and then it would crash every session, so I took the new ones off, but the problem seemed to persist

So working for a manufacture hardware can fail sometimes. Ram chips stop working. Codec are faulty. It could be a number of things not the users fault and only prone to certain units that have parts put on bad or a bad component all together. Them replacing it is great and I wouldn’t worry about the new one getting frozen. Mine has froze only because of me loading files on it. Other than that mine hasn’t had any issue. Have friends with them too with little to no problems either.