OP-Z: What's to come?

Maybe someone with either inside knowledge or with a general understanding of what the op-z’s hardware might be capable of might chime in:

what is there to expect? will the truly awfully sounding reverb and compressor sound better? will there ever be ableton link? will there ever be audio over USB? will the 3-note polyphony be increased? is bluetooth audio possible? will it unleash my dormant creativity?

No insider knowledge and to be frank I doubt you will get any, but I don’t see Bluetooth audio or audio over USB coming as these, if possible on the hardware, would likely have been launch features.

I think it is reasonable to assume the fx and synth engines will get impovements and additions, and more than likely some operational improvements too, but as seen on the OP-1 I don’t think any of these future updates will fundamentally change the machine too much beyond what it already is, hardware expansions aside.

I agree with @darenager. The features you mentioned, even a better reverb, would likely require additional processing power. What I think may happen (other than module related enhancements and additional engines/effects) is some feature that make better use of the apparent 1GB of available flash memory, like a version of the OP-1 album, perhaps?

I expect to see new synth engines and effects. I don’t think there will be any processing concerns, as you will still only be able to load two effects at a time. There’s even room for additional plugs on the tape track- who knows what could happen.

We’ve probably all seen the yellow oplab module by now, looks like it had cv, gate and midi on it. Wondering why it needs midi though as the op-z already does midi in/out. Seems like more synths and sample packs are coming, probably also fx, videopacks and app improvements.

working on chromecast would be nice. bluetooth audio would also be cool. android app? etc…

the chord track has 4 note polyphony

i actually love the reverb, i compare it to elektron digitakt s (owned before op-z) reverb…which never sat well in a mix. op-z’s blends nicely

I’m holding out for the CV module before buying, need it to integrate the OPZ into my setup :slight_smile:

There’s so many usb->cv modules out there, for example the endorphin shuttle control with 16 configurable outputs (which you can change over iOS). I use 6 as cv/gate, and the rest as divisions and multiplications of the master clock, as well as run/stop and reset.
What I hope is there is a sampling module. PLZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ. It doesn’t even have to be anything like the op1. It could be entirely new. Or, something to do with either sensory percussion or even better yet, those motorized solenoid drivers or…
Hahahaha.

Motorised solenoid drivers?

Sounds interesting.

@montgomeryword said:
There’s so many usb->cv modules out there, for example the endorphin shuttle control with 16 configurable outputs (which you can change over iOS). I use 6 as cv/gate, and the rest as divisions and multiplications of the master clock, as well as run/stop and reset.
What I hope is there is a sampling module. PLZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ. It doesn’t even have to be anything like the op1. It could be entirely new. Or, something to do with either sensory percussion or even better yet, those motorized solenoid drivers or…
Hahahaha.

I’ll have a look at that endorphin, thanks for that :slight_smile:

As OP-Z keys are small, my wish for an OP-Z update: Automatic Chromatic Chord on the Lead Track (3 note chord) or on the Chord Track (4 notes chord) add through a “Note style” or through the configuration pannel to build automatically complex chord progressions from single keys on the keyboard.

Half tones above key:
Octave: 0+12
Perfect 4: 0+5
Perfect 5: 0+7
Major: 0+4+7
Minor: 0+3+7
Suspended: 0+5+7
Augmented: 0+4+8
Trichord: 0+5+11
Major 7: 0+4+7+11
Minor 7: 0+3+7+10
Dominant 7: 0+4+7+10
Minor 7 b5: 0+3+6+10
Diminished 7: 0+3+6+9
Quartal: 0+5+10+15

This is how it works on Native Instruments keybords. https://youtu.be/X68DiOj9120

My second wish is a Piano added in synth engines.

2 Likes

Some low-hanging fruit (easy for TE to implement) that I hope we see is more LFO shapes and the ability to have LFOs that do not repeat (basically a simple once-triggering envelope). Just being able to route a sawtooth or ramp to the filter would add a lot.

I’m pretty sure (from memory) that the LFO is free-running when it is set left of the middle position and retriggers to the right. I think that may only be true for already sequenced notes and may not behave the same when manually triggering the keys.

I’m referring to the red encoder in the LFO page.

right… i meant like a 3rd option where it is triggered on a note event but then does not repeat thereby acting more as a routable envelope than an LFO

I’m certain there will be a live sampling expansion card.
If we’re lucky it’ll be a full-on proper sampler with loop points.
If we’re REALLLLLY lucky it’ll include a 4 track “tape”
IF we extremely lucky it’ll have microphone preamps built in.
And finally maybe an SD card slot for for track playback/recording.

3 Likes