OP1 field : audio clicks and how to avoid them?

Yeah…we already addressed that.

It would have helped if you read through the thread!

And thanks for the Logic course. Been only using it since v8, but always keen to learn about the fade tool! :wink:

Maybe it is better to put some time in learning how to record with this device instead of constant writing/complaining about it ?
And remember the op-1 is not a daw or logic. It is an experimental musique concrete studio in pocket size.
Focus on possibilities instead of impossibilities
Can I ask what type of music you wanna make? If it is 4 to the floor techno/house, there is a YouTuber called redmeansrecording. He has some tutorials about using the op-1 for that kind of music.

First of, lemme take the blame for the clips/clicks confusion. It’s on me.
So bash all you want, guys. I’m good for it.

As for the issue at heart : the audible clicks.
Anyone who reads the thread would’ve understand, by now, that we (the « please give us a fade tool » crowd) know there are workarounds, still create with the machine and only hope it gets better.
None of the vague, sterile or negative advice is of help, here.
It’s a given fact. Audio clicks are annoying.
So yes. The OP1f is not a DAW - granted. There are workarounds - but it helps discussing one another’s tips and tricks as to how to avoid them, that’s the core raison d’être of this forum. It’s clicks, not clips - I get it. Are there tutorials out there (both talking, complaining) about this? Yes.

But the main goal here is to be constructive.
If I get on the « stop complaining, it is what it is side », then I’m guessing I don’t care for updates/upgrades of my 2000$ machine once in a while. I guess I don’t care about the occasional bugs and missing features that would future proof the machine even further.
Complaining that we complain is sterile at best. It’s complaining. Plain and simple.

As for the produced styles, it is irrelevant.
I’m gonna get these remarks again…but here goes.
In less than a week, I wrote about 25 sketches and 10 full songs on the op1f. Used a variety of tools and ressources to do so (samples, loops, external synths, guitars, basses, ukus, pedalboards, Logic’s output for both iOS and macOS, the op1f on-board options, etc). Ended up, so far, with many genres such as Lofi, Metal, Folk, Pop Anthems, Exotic Club, Afrobeats, Funk, Minimal, Ambiant, Hip-Hop, Trap, Grime, Dubstep and a few more. Not relevant at all to this topic, since the workflow on the OP1f is what it is, regardless of the genre.
Red Means Recording’s videos are dope, tho. They should be mandatory. Son Wu’s and RMR’s channels are one of the reasons that made me pull the trigger on the OP1f. Killer content there.

And although you can still blame the user - ie. me - for most of the audio clicks I end up with, it would still be a given - in 2023 - to have a way to fade in/out some audible clicks. Or, at least, having a zero crossfade tool. Or a revised sample engine with automatic fade out on played samples so as to avoid audible clicks when playing said samples. Or all of these tools.
And, it is probably the most important thing here, ask TE as I did and they will kindly tell you that they are aware, and they will probably fix it at some point.

So yeah.
Stop humoring us, start educating us a bit. If that’s at all possible.

And I say this with the outmost respect. With great love.
We are all here to learn.

Cheers!

2 Likes

Yes.
Learn to use it and enjoy making music is what it is about. Good luck with that.
See you in a few months :).

1 Like

All comments aside, tho.
Your confidence makes me want to listen to your tracks.
By the looks of it, you mist be a master of all OP1’s trades.
If you’d care to share, again, we’d be happy to learn!

And one thing for sure. Unless TE implement a fade tool of sorts (which they kinda already did, I know), one year or ten year won’t fix this. Ask any engineer in pro studios.
On that matter, had a talk about that with some pro engineers last year. Audio clicks in all eras of music production. Edifying. But most definitely, « time is the answer » was not their take.
But hey. They might be wrong too.
You tell us! :blush:

:). I don’t know any pro engineers. Thank satan for that
And I do not have a public music sharing outlet anymore, but I expect that the type of music I make has less PRO requirements I make shoegaze/dreampop/wave/spacerock/ambient music. I make music for fun and the so called clicks/clips or how you wanna call it have never bothered me. I never even experienced them at all.
The OG op-1 was a little sketchy sometimes with input gain and with the normal tick/click/clips but recent firmware made that better. With the op-1 field it is not a problem at all IMO. But what do I know?
Like you I am doing this since the 80ies.

And now I am tired of this negativity so you are on your own now.

1 Like

Thanks for the input, as always! It’s all in your answer, tho. Different requirements mean different needs.

Take care, my friend.
Cheers!

Regarding clips and clicks, it’s an international forum, not everyone is a native English speaker, there’s no need to be obnoxious about it.

And if you haven’t heard the clicks it just means you aren’t using the OP-1f in a way that many other people are using it. I don’t believe that one person has an OP-1f that is special and better, clickless, and different from all the rest.

We all enjoy our gear and use it differently. If you haven’t heard a click yet, you may very well someday if you expand your current workflow. We are OP-1 fans here, we want it to be as good as it can be, and that is in no way being negative. But insinuating that the rest of us are ignorant or unmusical because we noticed the problem is just weird.

Otherwise, how are you today Heyes? I haven’t had a chance to check out more about the sync stuff we have been discussing, it’s been a busy day. Hopefully I’ll get a chance tomorrow.

2 Likes

@opsr doing well! Gonna try MIDI routings tonight and tomorrow morning. And, at the moment, I’m uploading stereo kits with mono samples. I hear it’s gonna be a drumkit game changer for laying beats later on. More on that later.

And I couldn’t agree more with what you said. We’re all separate users trying to build a community. I may have watch too many Walking Dead episodes and such, but I think we all learn and benefit from one another.

Can’t wait to try your MIDI tip, tho.
Got myself a Dato DUO last month, and I think it is time to see how well it gets along with the OP1f. Fun incoming!

I had to look up dato duo. That really looks like fun. I hope you get a chance to use it in collaboration with someone to make some crazy noise. I love making music with other people, I can get stale and repetitive only creating by myself.

1 Like

Funny story, the Dato DUO was found by my wife. She ordered it so we can play with our baby (dur in September, but she wanted to try it first hand). And I gotta say, it packs a lot of fun.
Already recorded 3 Arcade-ish tracks in Logic Pro. It is fun af. And really capable, sound wise. Don’t expect too much control - it is, after all, an expensive toy. But it feels good enough. And it has all the MIDI ports and capabilities you’d want. So here goes nothing, but I’m still gonna try it with the OP1f. The Dato team said it should work well together (they referred to the way it connects to the POs).
Will update here or even post a thread later on, to document what’s doable here.
I read somewhere that the Dato DUO was a great companion for the OG1, lofi-wise.

Congratulations! That’s wonderful.

1 Like

And thanks again for the kind words.
Means a lot!

I usually have this problem when playing samples from either the drum or synth sample engines, and to remedy it, I set the playback type as a “one-shot” and not a “play until release”. This one -->| and not this → one. The first one is able to decay fully and not be stopped at a non zero crossing.

1 Like

Nice tip! It helps a lot with lot of sources.

I tried it with kicks, but ended up with frequencies overlap.

For now, until a further update of the engines, I use a mix of two techniques.
Yours first. And when needed, I make two passes of two different kicks.
It’s becoming a staple of my workflow. I prepare drumkits with a fat kick and a shorter version of said kick. That way, I record a first pass with the fat kick and a second pass (overdub) with the short kick (note : the short kick is edited in a DAW prior to using it).

Found my way to this thread after also being frustrated by clicking, in my case specifically with the drum sampler.

It’s kind of a deal-breaker for sampling and “chopping” sort of workflows, which I find to be a bummer.

That said, I sent a bit of feedback to TE today asking for improved declicking in the drum sampler, so perhaps I’ll hear back! The Field certainly seems powerful enough to be able to run a robust declicking algorithm against drum programs in real-time. Or, one would hope, anyway.

1 Like

Thanks for sending feedback to TE. It’s the only way to effect change.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for keeping this thread alive and sending your thoughts to TE.

I just made a beat on the OP1f and it was clicks on clicks.
Tried all the workarounds I could think of. But the one that did it was changing the playback mode and layering two similar kicks on two separate overdubs.
I think it was @opsr that suggested this in the first place.

And I do get the « deal breaker » part. It is astonishing that 10+ years laters, this is still an issue.
I could live with fixes and workarounds if TE had a way to rationalize such an issue (ie. it was the way tape was working back in the days, etc). But even then…it’s one of the first things that comes to mind when you start thinking « sampler » in your designer mind.

I do hope they get us a fix out of the proverbial hat asafp!

Here’s another aspect to this, anyone who knows a work around that I don’t let me know.

When sampling in drum kits from an audio source there’s no way to have a hard rolloff to the end of the sample. There’s that with the attack at the beginning. But if there’s a pop at the end of the drum sample it is hard to get rid of.

1 Like

For now, the only workaround I have one this one is repairing out of the op1f - in a DAW or in the RX suite.
But the Fade tool is a either a mess and/or a miss on the op1f.
It baffles me that in 2023, a sampler is missing this feature.

I still haven’t got the time to try the « reverse » technique I had in mind. Basically, trying to apply the fade in, reversing the sample (thus creating a new one) to apply the fade in at the end, and re-reversing it again (creating a last faded in/out sample).
Dunno if this could be a useful workaround for you, but there you go!