OP1 first and then?

So my first keyboard thing ever was the OP1 which I love but I’m wondering where does one go next? Analogue keys? Electribe? What’s a natural instrument to graduate to do you think?

Are you more the rhythmic or percussive type? More a knob twiddler, or are you adept @ piano? More a drone / ambient type, polyrhythmic type or harmony / melody type?

Now that’s a hard question! It depends on what day it is, not a useful answer. I guess I can say I’d quite like a keyboard in the more traditional sense - but it’s not a deal breaker if something sounds so delicious to me that I get a case of the WANTS.

Here’s my soundcloud, I think there’s a broad range of most everything done badly there :smiley:

Now that's a hard question! It depends on what day it is, not a useful answer. I guess I can say I'd quite like a keyboard in the more traditional sense - but it's not a deal breaker if something sounds so delicious to me that I get a case of the WANTS.

Here's my soundcloud, I think there's a broad range of most everything done badly there :D

Yes… Post the soundcloud link.

Now that's a hard question! It depends on what day it is, not a useful answer. I guess I can say I'd quite like a keyboard in the more traditional sense - but it's not a deal breaker if something sounds so delicious to me that I get a case of the WANTS.

Here's my soundcloud, I think there's a broad range of most everything done badly there :D

Never mind found U. I’ll check it out after work.

Go in a music store and try different stuffs :).

OP-1 can do lots of things…and it can work with anything else, electronic instruments, accoustic instruments, animals, only imagination is the limit.

If you wanna have another instrument, your have to try them, feel them…and it depends of your budget too ^^

Yes… Post the soundcloud link.

Oh yeah doh https://soundcloud.com/daninski

Kaoscillator original mini…maybe.or a PO.
Maybe an iPod /pad.Or a potable recorder like the Zoom H2.
Monotribe is good too.

If you are unsure of where to go next, don’t buy anything.

If you feel you MUST buy another electronic thing to pair up, try some KORG Volcas or check out the PO’s to pair up with your OP-1.

If you want a keyboard, the 2 best “bang for your buck” synths IMO are the Moog Sub37 or Elektron Analog Keys. Great quality, great sound, great functionality.

Ideally I’d like it to be able to build tunes like the OP1 does. You know - no computer… The Analogue Keys appears to do that - but I’m sure there must be others too. I’m completely fresh to this world bar the OP1 and a stylophone when I was a kid.

Maybe the electribe or electribe sampler then

I second the Korg’s Volcas. They are all well priced and sound great. The Volca bass & keys are particularly useful with an OP-1 as they cover slightly different sonic ground - they are great for sampling some analogue sounds into the OP-1 without having to leave the couch or just for noodling around on by themselves. They were my entry point into synths a few years ago but I still use them a lot.

Ideally I'd like it to be able to build tunes like the OP1 does. You know - no computer... The Analogue Keys appears to do that - but I'm sure there must be others too. I'm completely fresh to this world bar the OP1 and a stylophone when I was a kid.

This may be a dumb question, but do you have an iPad? My iPad mini retina is my most valuable tool. As a companion for the OP-1, it not only furnishes an endless source of sample material and acts as a backup (w/a $40 RAVpower WiFi hub), but there are a LOT of great MIDI sequencers that really furnish a ton of extra flexibility, in terms of what you can do w/ the OP-1.

Not to mention the scores of great synths, effects and DAW apps.

I do have an iPad, it’s an iPad ‘classic’ as I like to call it. It’s maxed out on OS5 so it doesn’t run too much nowadays. Before the OP1 I was using gameboys, NDSs, IOS devices a little too. So it might sound contrary of me but I kind of want to play with a purpose built physical object at this point.

If you get a new Mini, you’ll be thanking me until Christmas. The form factor is fantastic. I always felt like the original iPad was unwieldy; conspicuous. The mini (with my SwitchEasy case) is so “grab n’ go”. Not to mention that the world of apps that exist for updated devices are sublime. Hell, I’d pay the $500 for a device w/ “Samplr” ALONE.

Also, I can’t imagine the classic iPad w/ iOS 5 was useful w/ MIDI. Where performance was a disappointment on iPad 1, it’s a dream on current models.

iPad Mini is a great tool to have for mobile music making.

With a million great apps out there you can use it for fun music, sketching or recording final pieces. Get as serious as you like.

iPad Mini is a great tool to have for mobile music making.
With a million great apps out there you can use it for fun music, sketching or recording final pieces. Get as serious as you like.

Right. Vs. a 1st-gen iPad, the difference is night and day. I never felt an iPad could really be all I needed until I got the Mini 2.

Don’t listen to dem ipad players! :slight_smile: Hardware is the only way! Which synth to choose is a difficult one as we don’t know what kind of sounds you like. Re:Analog Keys; I have one and it’s a great synth: analog, but it feels very modern compare to let say moog or DSI.

An iPad is hardware.

If you load up Samplr on a current gen iPad, they’ll have to pry it from your cold, dead hands.