OP1 the only device you need?

Ok... let me rephrase that... if you like the op1 and are into sampling sequencing and synthesis have a look around... there some really good fully featured work station all in one units that go for very reasonable prices atm. I’m not dissing the op1 here. Just saying that if you like this type of thing then there are units that have features that you may really really like.

Anyway, can’t let my pot noodles get cold. Got to go

If you have nothing to say then why bother posting at all?

The guy talks shit. Ignore him. Can’t provide a straight answer to backup his claim. Talking in fucking riddles. Blatantly a spotty little kid listening to Wu Tang Clan sho spends his parents money on equipent to troll forums

Ok... let me rephrase that... if you like the op1 and are into sampling sequencing and synthesis have a look around... there some really good fully featured work station all in one units that go for very reasonable prices atm. I’m not dissing the op1 here. Just saying that if you like this type of thing then there are units that have features that you may really really like.

Haha ok. So your not going to confirm it was the asr10/mv8800… mc202? Whatever, they are all good but not really the same as OP1.
And none that are close are any where near 1/3 of the price of OP1

Ha… I’m a retiree on the wrong side of 50. I was a house DJ In New York in the 80s and 90s.

Ha... I’m a retiree on the wrong side of 50. I was a house DJ In New York in the 80s and 90s.

Why don’t you tell us about this all in one, standalone sampler, synth, drum machine with
16 hours battery life then?

Couldn’t care less if you were a trombone player in the middle east, doesn’t mean you can talk to people in a condescending way and not back up your argument. That is called trolling

If you have nothing to say then why bother posting at all?

The guy doesn’t make sense. Says one thing then can’t actually give a straight answer. I can only think he’s talking about push or maschine…which aren’t standalone, take up a whole workspace and are the same price

Ha... I’m a retiree on the wrong side of 50. I was a house DJ In New York in the 80s and 90s.

Got to be Mr Bones.

Got to be Mr Bones.

The ride never ends!

I think it’s Georgio Moroder

I think it's Georgio Moroder

Or thinks he is!

I used to own a Korg Oasys Workstation (try sneaking that past your partner) & at the same time had 2 Virus Ti’s (1 Polar, 1 Desktop), 2 Machinedrums & several high end fx processors (Lexicon PCM81, 2 x TC Electronics Fireworx)

But in the end sold all the other gear to work solely with the Oasys. I also sold that eventually, but more to do with finance/mental health issues at that time, as opposed to not wanting to keep it.

Of course on paper the Oasys & Op-1 are mile apart, in terms of tech, features etc. But the sensations i get from using just the Op-1 are very reminiscent. I made my best ever music on the Oasys, but i enjoy the experience of the Op-1 almost as much.

Currently i have an MPC Live, OP-1 & a few fx pedals/rack fx.

I’m using the Op-1 & MPC separately. I’m not even sampling one with the other. & I’m really enjoying the different vibes & environments. At this stage i couldn’t say which 1 i’d keep if i could only choose 1, but i do like working solely on 1 piece of gear at a time. It keeps things focused & fresh. If i get a little tired of one i switch to the other. I’m also considering getting the Digitone & using it in the same way. I’m not saying that i won’t ever try to incorporate everything, but i’m really happy keeping everything separate. it just feels less cluttered, in my mind & that makes a real difference to me.

I used to own a Korg Oasys Workstation (try sneaking that past your partner) & at the same time had 2 Virus Ti's (1 snow, 1 Desktop), 2 Machinedrums & several high end fx processors (Lexicon PCM81, 2 x TC Electronics Fireworx)

But in the end sold all the other gear to work solely with the Oasys. I also sold that eventually, but more to do with finance/mental health issues at that time, as opposed to not wanting to keep it.

Of course on paper the Oasys & Op-1 are mile apart, in terms of tech, features etc. But the sensations i get from using just the Op-1 are very reminiscent. I made my best ever music on the Oasys, but i enjoy the experience of the Op-1 almost as much.

Currently i have an MPC Live, OP-1 & a few fx pedals/rack fx.

I'm using the Op-1 & MPC separately. I'm not even sampling one with the other. & I'm really enjoying the different vibes & environments. At this stage i couldn't say which 1 i'd keep if i could only choose 1, but i do like working solely on 1 piece of gear at a time. It keeps things focused & fresh. If i get a little tired of one i switch to the other. I'm also considering getting the Digitone & using it in the same way. I'm not saying that i won't ever try to incorporate everything, but i'm really happy keeping everything separate. it just feels less cluttered, in my mind & that makes a real difference to me.

Mate you sound very similar to me. I go through mental torture on a daily basis…“Should i keep this, im not really using it” then il pick it up and really enjoy it. Im in the mentality of, i must use everything or i can’t justify the £££s, and as a result ive sold so much gear i regret.

Currently rocking an OP1, Octatrack and Digitakt. Im going through the same thought process of “I have to try and use it all together”, but in fact im more creative if i just use one device at a time.

I often feel that if i use more than 1 or 2 devices at a time im not really getting under the hood and using it to its full potential. I think i may clear my workspace and put everything on a rack, and just grab one device at a time depending on how i feel.

I use a similar method to simplify the building a track if I get a little overwhelmed or stuck in a rut. I’ll record 1 track, mute it, overdub it or record another track, mute again and repeat the process. That way i’m not directly influenced by the tracks i’ve previously recorded. This way I tend to create things that might clash but still sound coherent. Of course sometimes it turns out shit, but all those happy accidents/unforeseen/random events are magic.I’m finding all of this really liberating. I’ve been buying/selling gear and making music since 87, but I’m using less gear than ever before and feel so positive about where i’m at.

Of
course on paper the Oasys & Op-1 are mile apart, in terms of tech,
features etc. But the sensations i get from using just the Op-1 are very
reminiscent. I made my best ever music on the Oasys, but i enjoy the experience of the Op-1 almost as much.

I am always surprised when people are not bothered by the Oasys/Kronos UI. OP-1 has one of the best UI designs I’ve ever seen. Kronos has one of the worst. I actually want to make a YouTube video series analyzing UI/UX of synthesizer I owned. Korg/Kronos fans will probably hate me forever if I say what I want to say, though.

I’m all over the place when it comes to UI’s I’ve enjoyed using. The 1st ever synth I used and bought was a Korg Waveststion. So I actually have fond memories of digital synths and menu diving. In fact I never cared for Analog/knobby synths. Loved using the fiddly buttons and small screen on my old Roland S760 sampler. The list goes on. But I had no issues whatsoever with the Oasys. I found it a fantastic experience in all regards. But I hated the Kronos because it felt cheap in my hands, and even though the sound quality was technically the same or perhaps slightly better, it just didn’t feel right when I played it and using that cheaper Keybed ruined my perception of it. I know it’s all in the mind, but that’s the way I am. I won’t use an iPad but loved the touchscreen on the Oasys and enjoy using the touchscreen on the MPC Live. In most respects the functionality is more important to me than the UI. But I still have to enjoy the UI. Absolutely hated things like the Blofeld and Octatrack. Thought the Nord Lead 3 was beautiful. So you can see how all over the place I am.

What didn’t you like about the Oasys/Kronos?

Edit: Didn’t really use the Karma functionality on the Oasys.

I can write several articles about this. Some of the most obvious issues:

It’s a synth with 10 sliders, 11 knobs and dozens of buttons, and yet you have to dig into double-nested menus and use touchscreen to do anything worthwhile with the sound. They absolutely wasted their physical controls.

They have a giant high-res full-color screen, an yet UI is remarkably static and generally reminds me of custom-made office applications of the mid 90s. (Fun fact, Windows stole controls from Apple, which licensed them from Xerox, which designed them for black-and-white monitors.) The controls are tiny, the screen feels crammed, and yet if you look closely they waste most of the screen space on most tabs.

The UI is inconsistent in most ways imaginable. Knobs vs Sliders (on the screen), checkboxes vs toggle buttons, menus vs tabs.

Distribution of functionality across tabs makes no sense whatsoever. Why is “Drum Track” under “Basic/Vector”, for example? What is “basic” anyway? The same can be said about context menus. They are nearly random. What does “Write Program” has to do with “Exclusive Solo”? Both can be seen in the same menu. After years of owning the things I still forget what is where.

They almost never use hyperlinks.

It’s a bloody mess. They slapped some features on top of it to make it usable for gigs, but other use cases are just ignored.

Kronos doesn’t need bank buttons, they could be used for other things. It needs a “shift” button like OP-1, Roland synths, Elektron synths and many others. It should have active tooltips and context-sensitive actions for physical controls. It needs hyperlinking. It desperately needs a mod matrix screen. It should use color coding. The whole modes/tabs/menus systems needs to be scrapped and redesigned. UI should duplicate most operations with physical controls. They should ditch most things that look like Windows controls, because those controls were designed for the mouse, not touch-screen. It should ditch most skeuomorphic onscreen controls, because those take too much space and convey little information. Really, most parameters are just multi-select options, numbers and toggles. There are much better ways to visualize those. Also, with something this complex users should have some (a lot, actually) UI customization options. And I’m not talking about changing some fonts. I’m talking about having your own screen where you place controls of your choosing.

Really, the only good things about Kronos UI are integrated help and Set List.

OP-1 is lightyears ahead in terms of design, and I can assure you it has nothing to do with how “simple” it is. (Tape is complex. Compare it to Kronos sequencer.)

Gulp! I feel dumb and relieved in equal mesure.

It’s fascinating to see it broken down like that. And yet know I wasn’t bothered, distracted or perhaps even aware of certain aspects you mentioned.

Are you more of a programmer than a player/musician?

Are you more of a programmer than a player/musician?
When you say "programmer" do you mean writing code or making synth patches?

Making synth patches.