Op1's "downfalls"

Let me try this comment once more… wanted to echo what dtwilson said about using the sampler for drum kits. Use sounds with long tails, make multiple chops of just the tail in different lengths, reverse some, they fit nice into the spaces between beats, adds a lot of ambience. Plus you can go seriously crazy with extreme pitch shifts +/-. You would be amazed at what new sounds you can conjure up.
With the Tape, you can get some very skittery glitch sounds from a spoken word bit by adjusting the speed and start/end points really tight, on the fly. Phone/delay or CWO for fx… A little hard to control, but fun for the weirdness factor.

Flying through 500 different kicks in Ableton eats up too much creative energy.

This right here is the reason I got into hardware :stuck_out_tongue:

This is what began to really bore me after a few years with Maschine. I’ve been making wayyyyy more beats with the OP1, all with variations of the internal preset kits (pitch shifting and fx, mainly). I think I’ve made more music with teh OP in 3 months than the entire year before that with Maschine and Ableton

I guess it depends on what kind of producer you are. Some folks are fine with just sitting down, getting something recorded and moving on quick, others are more easily distracted and overwhelmed by infinite options.

The reverb is not popular

Not being able to save sequencers (with the exception of endless)
Exporting to a DAW is a faff, especially if you like keeping sounds on individual tracks. A perfect solution is album mode containing your sequenced tune as a 4 track for export.

But despite these flaws, I use mine everyday.

Btw - A TE store which allows you to swap sequencers to ones with bigger memory or new ones would be great. Bye bye Tombola

@jonesy_op does the album really save all 4 tracks? I know a computer can see the 4 tape tracks but though album was just a stereo bounce. Big if true as you could use it to back up an entire song (have I missed this really obvious feature this whole time?)

Jonesy is just saying that this feature would be rad…

All cry

@anfim @jonesy_op

No I wish it did…just the one track…its fraustrating making a nice tune by picking various loops live and recording it to album but then that’s it, you can’t take that lovely sequence as a 4 track to daw…it would be a killer feature and surely possible as it already has 4 track capability. Arguably it’s a feature that people would pay for as a special optional OS upgrade. Any thoughts?

No I wish it did...just the one track....its fraustrating making a nice tune by picking various loops live and recording it to album but then that's it, you can't take that lovely sequence as a 4 track to daw....it would be a killer feature and surely possible as it already has 4 track capability. Arguably it's a feature that people would pay for as a special optional OS upgrade. Any thoughts?

I guess it’s not seen as too necessary because you can already export all 4 tracks from tape before you put it on album. Granted you lose any tape tricks that were part of a performance but that has nothing on the arranging possibilities that a DAW opens up.

Yeah I guess. I just got really comfortable and happy flicking through loops for composition. Also I like making beat/hi hat/snare patterns by muting/unmuting tracks (and other tape tricks) and recording it to album and bouncing back to tape. It would be nice to quickly archive those album bounces as 4 tracks to the laptop

True true, I guess if you´re already bouncing back to tape you could just be mindful to stash the segments on to spare sections of 4 track tape in preparation for dumping back to computer? Abuse the resampling abilities…

This would definitely be an awesome feature - however the problem is that everything is summed through the master channel (mixer, EQ, master drive, master fx), so this sums them down to stereo track.

Would be awesome if there was some way to do it though, as I often will do some panning to the album, but this is impossible to resample back to the track as it only resamples in mono :,(

I’ve been using the old school method of working on a final bounce and using key gate triggers etc to make the bounce more pro sounding. Not super flexible though. Wish we could have all the separate bits with tape tricks and what not all contained.

In the drum machine world this is where someone would drill some holes, install some mini jacks, and have individual outs for the 4 tracks, which for obvious reasons would be impossible (and sacrilegous?) to do to the OP1

I wonder if the OP-1 will eventually see some 3rd party jjos operating system. Something offering what we’re discussing - longer sequencers and better convenient ways of exporting stems…I think its possible for new things by mixing and matching what is already on the OP-1, TE are missing a trick with an online store to purchase new ‘apps’ for the device

I wonder if the OP-1 will eventually see some 3rd party jjos operating system. Something offering what we're discussing - longer sequencers and better convenient ways of exporting stems.....I think its possible for new things by mixing and matching what is already on the OP-1, TE are missing a trick with an online store to purchase new 'apps' for the device

Nooo :frowning: DLC sucks for games and it sucks more for synths (lookin at you Roland). Either add the features or don’t.

I wonder if future updates for the op1 will ever be made in the form of an expansion/companion app, a la opZ. Open for speculation Q&A from the Reddit AMA:

Q: Is there any interest in developing TE software products or mobile apps?

[–]
teenage_engineering[S] 15 points 21 days ago

A: Hi, only as companion to the hardware we make.

one quick way to get a stereo track (sort of) is to bounce track 1 to track 2 (now you have 2 tracks that are the same). Use the mixer to pan each track to different sides (to your listening preference). Bounce tracks 1 & 2 to track 3 which now contains a ‘stereo’ image of original track. Lift (delete) tracks 1 & 2 and record/bounce as needed. You can layer tracks onto a single track building up a complete stereo master track. Bouncing tracks is as easy as record output (choose from source of input- looks like an ear). Practice a few times to get the right audio levels.

Yeah I guess. I just got really comfortable and happy flicking through loops for composition. Also I like making beat/hi hat/snare patterns by muting/unmuting tracks (and other tape tricks) and recording it to album and bouncing back to tape. It would be nice to quickly archive those album bounces as 4 tracks to the laptop

Yeah agreed. This is the kind of practical workflow area where an OP-2 could tidy up some loose ends. And the kind of limitation that has me hyped for the MPC Live, if it’s solid…

I wish it had a proper reverb section instead of just cows/boxes/strings which are cool indeed, but doesn’t sound to me like a the reverb sliders I wish I had. Somethin simple yet effective like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAeWwMC2EaI.
I know you can play with decay on the envelope but it’s not like, let’s say a specific reverb function per-instrument. Or at least what it’s provided does not sound blooming or smooth enough to me.
You can do hundreds of tiny cool things on your OP1 but most of the times when you put it all together the result is a bit chopped and sticked together least bad. Like in a draft of what you can do on Ableton later on.
Guys at TE may be able to add better and proper reverb in next firmware updates but I bet this would cap the hardware limitations of the device. The OP1 is awesome, but will always have a single-core 400mhz processor. In my wet dreams, I think what would be possible to achieve putting a Snapdragon 820 and a Nougat based rom in it T____T. It might really match ableton, but with portability. Maybe in Op-2 :smiley:

I miss stereo, I could sacrifice one track to link two and be able to record stereo tricks…

I miss copy/pasting the current loop or tape segment onto the next loop place to avoid cutting the flow while live jamming.
But for these I have Elektron machines…

I’m currently in a phase where OP-1 gets less love, I find playing with my other gear way more interesting these days… Until next time :wink:

@<a href=“https://operator-1.com/index.php?p=/profile/100/docshermsticks” class=“Username” style=“margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-weight: bold; font-size: 15px; font-family: “lucida grande”, “Lucida Sans Unicode”, tahoma, sans-serif; vertical-align: baseline; text-decoration: none; color: rgb(66, 157, 168); background-color: rgb(252, 252, 255);”>docshermsticks<span style=“color: rgb(37, 38, 30); font-family: “lucida grande”, “Lucida Sans Unicode”, tahoma, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; background-color: rgb(252, 252, 255);”> I love your post :slight_smile:
<span style=“color: rgb(37, 38, 30); font-family: “lucida grande”, “Lucida Sans Unicode”, tahoma, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; background-color: rgb(252, 252, 255);”>

nothing else got that vibe so fast and immediate.

https://youtu.be/ZqtOQRnlfSs

@<a href=“https://operator-1.com/index.php?p=/profile/223/JohnnyEgo” class=“Username” style=“margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-weight: bold; font-size: 15px; font-family: “lucida grande”, “Lucida Sans Unicode”, tahoma, sans-serif; vertical-align: baseline; text-decoration: none; color: rgb(1, 115, 198); background-color: rgb(252, 252, 255);”>JohnnyEgo<span style=“color: rgb(37, 38, 30); font-family: “lucida grande”, “Lucida Sans Unicode”, tahoma, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; background-color: rgb(252, 252, 255);”> you should stop spamming… It’s not a good behavior. Unless it’s funny, which it is not.