Operators 'Christmas album 2016'?

I got 23 in the battle and just checked out some of the tunes, great tracks :slight_smile: Couple of them had a little christmas vibe. Made me think might be fun to do a separate Xmas battle?

Life gets hectic in late nov/December so maybe could lay it out now ahead of time for anyone down with the idea and say like Dec 8th as deadline? If enough people contribute we could throw it on Bandcamp as an LP, charge a couple of $ and give all (if there is any) money to charity? Dec 8th would give enough time to do a little promotion ahead of Xmas before everyoneā€™s on holiday (send it to blogs/online zines etc).

Dunno if anyoneā€™s in to the idea? If yes Iā€™m thinking keep it loose/fun/no rules except all has to be done in OP-1.

Anyone interested in doing something like this?

Edit - changed the thread title from ā€˜battleā€™ to ā€˜albumā€™. Just saying so the post below still makes sense :wink:

In this forum, it's not called Christmas battle, but Christmas album/compilation :D

https://www.operator-1.com/index.php?p=/discussion/1496/christmas-2015-album

Good idea to put this on the table !

Iā€™m REALLY interested! :wink:

Cool, yeah no one should ā€˜battleā€™ at Xmas :slight_smile:

I'm REALLY interested! ;)

Cool :slight_smile: what are we saying?

• no rules/winners except has to all be done on op-1 (sampling allowed)
  • has to have Christmas vibe or Christmas related samples.
  • Dec 8th deadline. Letā€™s try to be strict on it so we can try to promote/raise some money before its too late :wink:

Sound OK?

Whatever we call it, I am eager to join :smiley:

Cool, yeah no one should 'battle' at Xmas :)

Great point! I heard that even the English and Germans on the front line laid down their arms and shook each othersā€™ hands at this merry time during WW2. Im not a history buff at all but I remember certain things :slight_smile:

Obvs if anyone has better ideas for rules/promo/where to host the LP etc then let us know :slight_smile:

Great point! I heard that even the English and Germans on the front line laid down their arms and shook each othersā€™ hands at this merry time during WW2. Im not a history buff at all but I remember certain things :slight_smile:

Haha, yeah didnā€™t they play football together? I canā€™t remember whats real and what Iā€™ve seen in films :confused:

Edit - think I might actually just be remembering the Pipes Of Peace video by Paul McCartney!? Haha

This happened in 1914 during WW1:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_truce

Heard similar things on Beirut war in the 80ā€™s, where mercenaries would play football in the morning and kill each other in the afternoonā€¦

War stories always break my heart.

Haha, yeah didnā€™t they play football together? I canā€™t remember whats real and what Iā€™ve seen in films :confused:

Edit - think I might actually just be remembering the Pipes Of Peace video by Paul McCartney!? Haha

Was Pipes of Peace a McCartney Crimbo hit? Wow, I never knew that. All in all, Iā€™d love to make something reminiscent of my number 1 favourite Christmas tune - Simply Having A Wonderful Christmas Time. I love Paul and he is officially the only act I would like to see live. He loves Japan too so Iā€™m expecting him soon. In the meantime I have almost all of his recordings on vinyl.

There was a certain era where Christmas songs became cool and their modernness has passed into classical. I feel that modern musicians of today canā€™t muster up that same energy. First we had the great Crooners, then we had the modern stuff, and since that it HAS NOT been toppled or parred.

Everyone should love Christmas music. Iā€™m really looking forward to going back to good old Gloucester and enjoying the choir at the cathedral this year.

Heard similar things on Beirut war in the 80's, where mercenaries would play football in the morning and kill each other in the afternoon...

War stories always break my heart.

Such a f*#ked up species :frowning:

Letā€™s get back on some happier vibes :wink:

Was Pipes of Peace a McCartney Crimbo hit? Wow, I never knew that. All in all, Iā€™d love to make something reminiscent of my number 1 favourite Christmas tune - Simply Having A Wonderful Christmas Time. I love Paul and he is officially the only act I would like to see live. He loves Japan too so Iā€™m expecting him soon. In the meantime I have almost all of his recordings on vinyl.

There was a certain era where Christmas songs became cool and their modernness has passed into classical. I feel that modern musicians of today canā€™t muster up that same energy. First we had the great Crooners, then we had the modern stuff, and since that it HAS NOT been toppled or parred.

Everyone should love Christmas music. Iā€™m really looking forward to going back to good old Gloucester and enjoying the choir at the cathedral this year.

Seen Macca live a couple of times. Havenā€™t paid much attention to his music post 80s but big Beatles fan so was cool seeing him play those songs. He canā€™t help but be cringey a lot of the time (kept doing a really bad Jamaican accent while talking in between songs at Hyde Park, no idea why!?) but I guess heā€™s always been like that really. Genius melodicist and musician/voice tho.

Yeah Christmas ā€˜songsā€™ seem a thing of the past. Guess the worldā€™s (or at least UK and US) too self-conscious for them nowā€¦A shame really. No idea whatā€™s in the charts these days but would be nice if there was still a place there for that kind of corny optimism now and again for my kids to grow up with :frowning: I hated the 80s when I was growing up but they look a lot better from here nowā€¦

Yeah Iā€™ll be taking my kids to a big choir show somewhere this year too, gotta get those memories/experiences in their little heads as often as possible :wink:

Iā€™m in! Just repurchased an OP-1, this would be my first compilation / battle

@<a href=ā€œhttps://www.operator-1.com/index.php?p=/profile/2532/avclubā€ class=ā€œUsernameā€ style=ā€œfont-family: ā€œlucida grandeā€, ā€œLucida Sans Unicodeā€, tahoma, sans-serif; font-size: 15px; margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-weight: bold; vertical-align: baseline; text-decoration: none; color: rgb(66, 157, 168); background-color: rgb(252, 252, 255);ā€>avclub<span style=ā€œfont-family: ā€œlucida grandeā€, ā€œLucida Sans Unicodeā€, tahoma, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; color: rgb(37, 38, 30); background-color: rgb(252, 252, 255);ā€> Here is the battle ! Feel free to participate !!

<span style=ā€œcolor: rgb(37, 38, 30); font-family: ā€œlucida grandeā€, ā€œLucida Sans Unicodeā€, tahoma, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; background-color: rgb(252, 252, 255);ā€>The present thread is about Christmas-oriented songs :slight_smile:

Maybe should add ā€˜cover versionsā€™ of Xmas songs to be allowed as well if anyone wants to do one? Basically no rules at all outside of using OP to make it :slight_smile: Anything Christmas vibes and uploaded by Dec 8th! Everyone cool with that? Iā€™m not really in to being the person writing this rules stuff!

Oh yes, there is another rule : if this album is used to raise funds, it is mandatory to avoid using samples that would be protected !

Or mangle them sufficiently so that they cannot be recognizable :smiley:

Thatā€™s the Law rule :D. So what we should do ? Covers are pretty attractive :stuck_out_tongue: (I was just listening a 100 top christmas hits playlist to find something great to be sampled )

Oh yes, there is another rule : if this album is used to raise funds, it is mandatory to avoid using samples that would be protected !
Or mangle them sufficiently so that they cannot be recognizable :D

Good point!