Organelle

Well, soundwise patches like MI lmnts are incredible, so make sure you've tested it first.

About documentation... Well, I haven't really felt the need for it, most of them are straightforward or at the very least inviting to experimentation. And MI real modules are well documented, so you can start from here ;)

But yeah, accessing a specific menu with more than a click as become a deal breaker for me. Adios Blofeld and PreenFM, I love the sound but can't bear the UX. I rather love Elektron or TE way in this regard.

Yeah I had a good play last night and you’re right it’s amazing stuff. But I honestly think I’d rather buy a dedicated pedal to do a specific job. The non standardisation of patches almost makes me feel a bit like using IOS… The apps are great but there’s just too much shit going on sometimes. Feels cluttered because of the lack of dedicated controls (as you rightly mentioned). I think the only way I would be happy using this is if I paired a midi controller with it. Going down this route almost defeats the object and I’d be better off attempting to build my own PD machine.

I’m just going to chalk isn’t down to experience. Some things just don’t click.

The reason i wanted to try Organelle is because I’m going travelling for 6 months. Really wanted a partner for OP1 as I can’t/wont take elektron stuff with me. I think I may actually just pair up Circuit + OP1 and have abit of fun on my travels.

I agree about documentation and usability of some patches. A lot of the “academic” generative patches where you have to press aux five times and twiddlebuntil something shows up are patches I dropped from the Organelle. You don’t have to use every patch available - and many of them won’t be worth your time. I get your complaints, but part of what keeps me in it is that I don’t have to buy specialized pedals now. The cost of two boutique pedals or eurorack modules make the price tag worth it to me.

1 Like

I agree that the documentation for the newbie is poor / non existent and is something that C&G need to sort.

The Organelle is a love / hate thing. I honestly almost use nothing else these days but am more a synth or patch nerd than a musician.

If I were travelling I’d take just the OP1 or OP1 & iPad.

If I were travelling I’d take just the OP1 or OP1 & iPad.

Yes mate il be taking the OP1. Also I’ve still got a soft spot for the Circuit. There’s something about that little guy, I don’t know if its the workflow or design but it’s just really inspiring to use even when you’re tired / inspiration is low.

Get a PO-12 or PO-32 besides the OP-1, it’s so great for beats :slight_smile:

I bought one a couple of months ago. I still haven’t spent a ton of time with it, but it’s not entirely the fault of the device, but just the fault of … stuff. Before I got it, I too lambasted those that said there were too few knobs. But after getting it… Yeah, it does feel a bit short and small in some areas. But it’s also a wide open playground. And there are a lot of personalities inside of it. But my overall feelings on it are mixed.

Pros (for me):
  • Complete system in a nice container. No “make your own enclosure” (Axoloti), more keys and controls and navigable patches than PatchBlocks.
  • Good community making good patches and OS updates and it’s still fairly approachable.
When I compare the ability to have some Eurorack-inspired patches and compare them against the price of actual Eurorack modules and cases, the Organelle should be a no-brainer. But I still find myself wanting Eurorack. Maybe that’s just GAS.

I’m really starting to think of shedding a lot of gear, including Organelle, and get myself a dedicated music-making laptop to run Max, Reaktor, PD, etc. I have a desktop that can do this all but I just don’t like sitting at it. But I may be fighting things too much to have ‘sit on the couch and play!’ devices when a laptop could do similar.

I tried going all-software before. It just didn’t work out, for a variety of reasons. One of those reasons is I can’t stand using a mouse to edit synth parameters. Organelle on the surface looked like a reasonable compromise, but it looks like I’d be back to mousing around again to edit Pd patches for it.

I am inclined to design the patch using software and leave 4 performance related controls to the 4 knobs.

Is anyone here paying Shree $5/month or more to get the patches? Has it been worth it? I just don’t feel like I can justify $60/year which is like 13% the cost of it originally. But some of the patches look good. Just wish there was a pay-what-you-like option per patch.

@GCF said:
Is anyone here paying Shree $5/month or more to get the patches? Has it been worth it? I just don’t feel like I can justify $60/year which is like 13% the cost of it originally. But some of the patches look good. Just wish there was a pay-what-you-like option per patch.

I’ve considered to but haven’t yet. Be really interested to hear/see some of those patches that are locked down to patreon. Would probably persuade me but from only his written descriptions I normally get the feeling I could buy a £5 app every month that does equivalent/more with a better UI/stability…

I pay £1 a month but generally don’t download his stuff, some of it is beta and barely usable or working, some of it just makes no sense to me (as @Callofthevoid states) and some is genius, I don’t have the time or energy to filter that out. Has he deleted all his patches on Patch Storage?

No, he hasn’t deleted them. But it seems like a lot of the ones that show up on there are academic and not as “traditionally” musical. I agree with both of you that between the price and energy, combing through those he does release doesn’t feel worth it.

The Organelle and Arturia’s MicroFreak are such great pairings with OP-Z IMO.
Noodling with the Organelle an using the TRS Splitter, have been able to use the OP-Z effects, and drive the Organelle M, fairly straightforward with the OP-Z USB C-> USB A (MIDI) - receiving in the Organelle M.

There are a bunch of patches, that can add some variety from the default synth engines that come with the OP-Z

TRS Splitter for the OP-Z : FUTURE RETRO WAVℇ by digdugDIY on Etsy
Patch for the Organelle M : Supersynthengine | Patchstorage

I didn’t really need the 1010Music BlueBox, I just use it to send out the recording of the mix.
I could do all the mixing on the OP-Z. Patiently waiting for the OP-Z Line/Green module that would
make the 1010Music Bluebox non necessary, and make the rig even more portable.