OS basics.

@Callofthevoid I’m so with you on this one. I’m wrestling with the whole concept in an otherwise very useful tool.

I’m also wondering what the heck is up with “phantom” clicks/pops that often ensue any such editing attempts even after lifting the part!?
I cannot seem to get rid of them and there’s no sign of them in the display?? It led me to do a total tape erase a few times.

Am I missing something here?
Seems like an odd bug I haven’t yet make sense of.

@chet yeah from my brief experience so far the OS doesn’t feel fully ironed out for a few basic functions in tape -
No delete function.
Random segments are vanishing sometimes during lift.
The clicks/pops aren’t super common in the beta OS, but I still get them sometimes. Some kind of user definable fade in/out function on tape segments seems like such an obvious solution?
No tape markers. It sucks locating parts of tape along a 6 minute Timeline via scrolling. Having to wait while rewinding/forwarding tape isn’t one of the ‘good’ aspects of using tape :wink:

Some loose ends/weird os decisions/omissions for sure… A shame cos it seems like it could be tidied up pretty easily.

@chet yeah from my brief experience so far the OS doesn't feel fully ironed out for a few basic functions in tape - No delete function. Random segments are vanishing sometimes during lift. The clicks/pops aren't super common in the beta OS, but I still get them sometimes. Some kind of user definable fade in/out function on tape segments seems like such an obvious solution? No tape markers. It sucks locating parts of tape along a 6 minute Timeline via scrolling. Having to wait while rewinding/forwarding tape isn't one of the 'good' aspects of using tape ;)

Some loose ends/weird os decisions/omissions for sure… A shame cos it seems like it could be tidied up pretty easily.

I have to say I’m in agreement with you on all points.

I truly hope some TI folks are around here looking and listening. It really is like 90% a wonderful piece IMO.
It would be great if these loose ends could be dealt with in the new OS. And soon.
I’m trying to hang in there & be optimistic but?

I’m beginning to think I could possibly get more mieage from my iPad & getting something like a Volca sample for example. Shame, I love the op-1 ascetically and “almost” functionally.

I may be in the minority with these thoughts but none the less, it’s how I’m feeling re; composing in tape mode & with one hand tied behind my back edit-wise.

@chet I definitely recommend persevering with it for a while. I’ve only had mine a little longer than you but in spite of the frustrations I think it’s still the best portable unit available at the moment. I need something to jam around the house with my kids around etc. I feel it’s overpriced in terms of build quality and spec but they’ve cornered the market for now and hopefully they’ve been selling enough to fund cooking up a pumped up OP-2 at some point.

Ipad is getting better every year but is still a pain in the arse/flakey for linking apps internally and I much prefer physical buttons and rotaries to touchscreen. + Once you add a midi keyboard and means to get audio in/out it stops being so portable… Ipad mini + OP is great combo tho :wink:

Electribe sampler 2 should have been a contender but it has its own problems and I gave up being semi interested in grabbing one.

Volca sample is great, love mine. But you’ll find that way harder to compose full tracks on than OP…

Novation circuit looks pretty cool but not quite deep enough/powerful enough compared to OP.

If full portability wasn’t a high priority I’d probably sell my OP but nothing else really compares at the moment so it’s a keeper. And like you say, it’s great MOST of the time. Just those little workflow ommisions/oddities that kill momentum sometimes… Hoping TE ads some polish to that side of things when the legit update drops…

Op definitely seems to work best when you adapt to it and record ‘sections’ then use the shift + left/right to flick between them and record full song to album. This has its own limitations (especially outside of experimental/dance/glitch kind of stuff) but it seems to be the workflow where OP shines the most and is super quick/fun to mess with.

I’m somewhere between a bunch of different workflows so it’s kinda frustrating. But even if I don’t end up making full songs inside it I already sketched out a ton of ideas ready to take to daw. It’s perfect for that. And designing sounds while you’re watching TV etc that can be used in DAW projects or thrown in octatrack or used at shows etc too.

You should grab the beta and check out slump, arp, less pops/clicks etc as well before you think of selling :wink:

@Callofthevoid Yeah I hear you, trying to hang in there and give it some more time. Thanks.

I’m wondering,
-Does TI imply that it’s OK to upload the beta OS ? …ie; no real downside ?
&
-Are there good ways that others incorporate their iPads into the OP-1 workflow ?

I’m resistant to composing in sectional loops (other than drum stuff)… these days I prefer to try for more complete performances when at all possible. But, I’ll have to consider.

If TE comes out with an OP-2 and abandons this model we all spent so much money on, without fully developing the OS…

I will NEVER put a dime into that company again, and I’m willing to bet no one else will either

TE if your reading this, it’s simple: The tape machine needs to be fine tuned for PROFESSIONAL level usage, everything else is fine.

We’ve waited long enough, make the tape function work the way we need it too. We don’t need any more synths or gimicks.

@donallfin You just have to listen to the battles to realise that the OP1 is a very capable machine and can be used to produce finished tracks. But you have to work within its limits, like all gear. If you’re looking for TE to add features to turn the OP1 into a mini DAW you will be disappointed and you’re right, an ipad may be more suitable for you.

@donallfin Please replace “we” with “I”.
Although far from perfect, I’m OK with this synth as is.

@Callofthevoid Yeah I hear you, trying to hang in there and give it some more time. Thanks.

I'm wondering,
-Does TI imply that it's OK to upload the beta OS ? …ie; no real downside ?
&
-Are there good ways that others incorporate their iPads into the OP-1 workflow ?

I'm resistant to composing in sectional loops (other than drum stuff)… these days I prefer to try for more complete performances when at all possible. But, I'll have to consider.

Loads you can do with OP + Ipad (Ipad mini is great size for small footprint combo). Either just using Ipad as portable sound source to feed OP samplers. Or if you have the camera connection/lightning > USB adaptor you can do tons of midi related stuff (in both directions I guess? Have only used op to play/sequence ios keys so far. Need to check out sending midi in the other direction.). I read on here some users have began exploring Modstep with OP. That seems quite promising for ableton style clips/sequencing if that’s your thing. Or you could use something like Beatmaker/Cubasis etc for a more ‘DAW-like’ linear midi sequencing + audio tracks environment…

Risks (if there even are any?) from installing beta OS seem harmless/reversible just by rolling back to the legit OS.

@donallfin You just have to listen to the battles to realise that the OP1 is a very capable machine and can be used to produce finished tracks. But you have to work within its limits, like all gear. If you're looking for TE to add features to turn the OP1 into a mini DAW you will be disappointed and you're right, an ipad may be more suitable for you.

I would however respectfully contend that although I personally have no hopes that TI would add more DAW-like features, to somehow change their awesome design,

It seems completely rational to hope very much that the TAPE “pop-clicks” at edit points (and moreover at times ghost-like randomly) be addressed in an update ASAP.

It’s a perfectly reasonable request for something that’s so annoying and thwarts workflow significantly.

I will for now, do the beta update I suppose and hold tight.

Hey @Callofthevoid & @chet regarding deleting long 4min linear takes, how about recording 15sec of silence, lift ,then locate beginning of target and press drop ,rapid, 15 times?

This is also how to erase ghost clicks that have burnt to empty tape through edits.. drop silence recording on top to clear.

Hey @Callofthevoid & @chet regarding deleting long 4min linear takes, how about recording 15sec of silence, lift ,then locate beginning of target and press drop ,rapid, 15 times?

This is also how to erase ghost clicks that have burnt to empty tape through edits.. drop silence recording on top to clear.

Thanks for the tip, def sounds useful for getting rid of ghost clicks :slight_smile: And maybe a little less tedious than what I was doing before for deleting long segments too. Not sure without trying though - locating empty tape, recording silence for 15 seconds, getting back to the segment location, hitting delete 15 times, then locate the start of the section again to try another take. Still sounds kind of insane just to delete a block of audio :wink: Tho I guess after you’d done it once then the process would be quicker next time for as long as you had the 15 seconds silence already in the lift/drop memory. I’ll try it next time I’m sucking at recording long sections :wink:

I was thinkin - have a silence section at end of tape ,ready to lift any time. Locate end of tape with stop+> .
Record starts are normally marked with “1”.

I was thinkin - have a silence section at end of tape ,ready to lift any time. Locate end of tape with stop+> . Record starts are normally marked with "1".

Yeah that might be quickest workaround currently, thanks for ironing out the theory :slight_smile:

I hate to be a downer but I’m still getting these bloody frustrating ghost pop/clicks after working on tracks for hours, getting something I like and then cannot get rid of them without loosing what I like about the track in the first place! It’s a big bummer in my world.

This is w the new OS. If I can’t sort this stuff out my patience with the op-1 will be soon exhausted.

Still, many can do cool work w it.
I just haven’t found that unobstructed workflow.
Maybe in missing some key learning points thus far. Or, maybe it’s workflow doesn’t jive with my limited attention span.

It seems most reach a plateau where it clicks and it works for them.
Maybe ill get there, …maybe not.

@chet I still get clicks/pops occasionally here too, on the beta. I think most users are reporting same kind of frequency. It’s way better than before tho. I only used the old OS for couple of days but clicks/pops were everywhere and super loud. TE have done a good job at improving it on the beta. I still think that additional, user definable, fade in/out function on tape segments would maybe be worth adding, that would eradicate them right? or am I missing something?

Edit - you say ‘ghost’ pops/clicks. Not sure what you mean by that so maybe I’m misunderstanding.

I’m not sure if they’re related to an in our segment of something recorded on top of something else on a specific track for example …or not to be honest.
Need to check a bit closer.

I do think that “any” if these such artifacts (especially without a reliable removal solution) is kinda lame though.

Appreciate the thoughts though!

@chet I had some weird click/pop stuff tonight here too. I just wrote a post about it in case anyone can advise on ways to avoid. Annoying…

@callofthevoid I’ll be very curious to discover if I’m doing something wrong or if there is a rational solution.

I’ll look for the post. Thanks.
I’m simply loosing my desire to keep digging to suss it out. Hard to believe this is some kind of oversight with such an otherwise cool creative tool.

I’d be happy to be proven wrong.