Pattern longer than 16 steps

@headwar said:
Is it possible to combine 2 patterns into one? For example, combine one pattern with 16 steps and another pattern with 16 steps into a new pattern with 32 steps? Would make sense and should be pretty simple, no?

Don’t know how easy to implement that would be, but it would be awesome. I was messing around with sudden changes between two patterns that were harmonically related, but contained different sound settings. The jumps were pretty smooth (no effects changes or anything severe), and it made me realize that you could essentially do sound locks this way. Maybe another future feature could be to hold a step and the track button and select a different sound per step.

I havent seen anything like this. Chaining oddball patterns together works similarly, although editing would be seperate per pattern.

I’m a fan of sequencers and a fan of teenage engineering.

Now that is out of the way I find it a bit shocking that a pattern is limited to 16 steps.

So there are workarounds fair enough but the rest of the design is pretty neat so why the hell did they go for this design, seems pretty strange to me.

Maybe I have it wrong so I will check:

If I want to work with 64 step patterns I either have to use 4 patterns chained or slow the pattern down where I can’t sequence the 64 steps?

Have I got this wrong?

1 Like

The blend of trig sequencing, playability, and step/master component usage appears to be the “trifecta” workflow TE wanted operators to use when creating. Im with you, 64 steps of trigs via 4 pages would be ideal.

I’m with you, the trig stuff great (electron greatness) and the component stuff great(nearly genoqs greatness), neat stuff.

I will end up loving the opz like the op1 but I’m just not a 16 step person, I really hope they change this limitation.

I must admit I was hoping I misunderstood something about the way it is.

1 Like

Yes that makes sense . It means that there is no options to set a subdivision rather than a binary subdivision .
In your case you will need to let the sequencer run in triplets subdivisions .
I think we should suggest this , because it is very important to get this option as a good sequencer .

Can someone know if there is an official feature request page for the opz ?

All the track I have composed on the opz are on 8 bars based sequenced , so don’t worry t is NOT a 16 steps sequencer . You just have to think differently because , whatever you set the length , you will still have one page of 16 physical step on the device , this is why it is a bit confusing .
It is just another way of sequencing .
You can even extend to 16 bars for a track if you want; use the live e recording mode for recording in this entire length .
That being said , of the opz would been a 16 steps sequencer , it would not be a problem so much , because of its powerful “ step components “ feature a simple 16 steps sequence can looks like a very long sequence by ear .

If I can’t edit or even see the “other” steps then to me it is a 16 step sequencer.

1 Like

Well , consider t as a 16 step sequencer, but man I can swear that this 16 steps sequencer is more powerful than most of the 64 steps sequencer on the market .
Please , just think differently . Of course the edition is not accurate as you expect . I was thinking the same like you but after putting my hands on this thing I was completely refounding my judgment

Just because it doesn’t work the way you think it should doesn’t mean it doesn’t work… they don’t want to add too much where is too confusing to even use. You know you can copy and paste whole patterns, tracks, or just all the settings except note data from pattern to pattern? With just that and chaining you could technically do anything you need it your willing to work the way the sequencer wants to… or maybe instead of trying to get it to do things other sequencers do that it doesn’t just try another sequencer? It’s incredibly deep, but the 16 step thing has always been there and it’s kind of a big part of the physical design, having four pages of steps would really complicate it.

I agree. I’m really surprised about this since I always thought that the OP-Z had multiple pages of 16 steps that could be viewed and edited. I was considering getting an OP-Z mainly for the sequencing capabilities but this is a bit of a show stopper for me.

As Kja says it is still quite powerful but not if you want a “step” sequencer with more than 16 programmable steps.

I’m hoping they will fix it in an update, the underlying stuff is all there but you can’t page through the steps.

1 Like

if you do the math, save one time and re-use the settings you can arrange every art of step sequencing capabilities known in the history of step sequencing. it’s not a toy.

and to chain things is like adding multiple 16 steps, with pages so to say