"Piano of Love" Patch - Poly Issues

Hey guys, long time lurker here. Big thanks for all the help in getting to know this amazing instrument.

I really like the “piano of love” preset on the string synth in the beta update (think I may have had this in old patch/sample packs), but there’s some pops and clicks that I can’t seem to get rid of. I’ve tweaked the envelope, synth parameters, tried punch/nitro fx, and still no luck, which leads me to believe it’s the synth hitting the polyphonic limit (six notes) and abruptly dropping the first note when the seventh is hit. If that’s not the case does anyone have any suggestions or tweaks, filters, etc.

This seems like one of the best Rhodes like, analog electric keyboard sounds on the op-1 and it’d be one of my go to sounds if I can get the clicks out.

Will connecting a midi keyboard remove the six note poly limit and hopefully therefore the clicks?

(To clarify this is completely independent of the notorious and now greatly improved tape/loop clicks :wink: )

With lots of synthetic love,
Jeff

not sure you can go past a polyphony limit. thats like kinda what its there for.

string is the most easily clipped synth engine in my experiences. makes some beautiful sounds tho.
i can usually dial it out by messing w/ the synth params but sometimes you might end up w/ a different sound altogether.

I hear you on ending up on an entirely new sound. You can get rid of it with punch disabled, with a much brighter metallic sound. I knew I wasn’t running the drive but I found the eq was a little hot and it’s mostly a non issue with the punch off and eq low.

Not sure what you mean by what it’s there for. Im probably just not explaining it well and I get the feeling that people use synths mostly for lines and pads where this is a non issue or a less obvious one with different sounds especially with reverb or delay added. If you for instance play three triads C, F, G on the synth with a long release you’ll hear it on the beginning of the G triad (seventh note) and you’ll notice the root of the C chord is no longer sustained. I don’t know who would actually want that somewhat haphazard non linear abrupt release or how that could be there for a reason. You’re of course not going to perfectly simulate a sustained piano with the strings ringing freely and decaying to silence. it’s simply a realistic tech limitation right? I absolutely love this thing. Im from a piano background not synthesis so I’m basically trying to mimick a Rhodes with the sustain pedal held down, which the patch is great for - minus the clicks, which are absent when playing the first six notes after selecting the patch and constant following the sixth note. It’s nice to have some more organic sounds on the synth too ;).

With ambient sounds w a long release you can end up with more than six notes in the synth engine at the same time quite easily. (workaround being delay reverb etc)

The other thing is that extremely abrupt release settings on the synth envelope (like running the sustain into a wall if you will) usually create pops and clicks - most obvious in sequences, so I hypothetically when the seventh note enters the engine with the six notes held by the long release settings, the abrupt removal of the first note is potentially the cause of the click.

I’m certainly no expert on synths but that’s how I got to the conclusion. Maybe I’m totally wrong and I’m pretty sure Im being flamed for it in another thread lol.

Apparently the noise is completely gone if you remove the release entirely on the string synth envelope.

i just meant that like it is by design. pretty much every synth or digital device has a polyphony limit.

which keeps you from overloading the CPU, or because there is only so many voice chips if its analog.
plugging in a midi keyboard will not bypass this.

some synths have massive polyphony so you’ll prob never really run up against it. every device is different.

for the clicks and pops, u might try resampling your string sound into the synth sampler and see if u get better results? maybe the string engine is heavier on the CPU than the sampler?

op1 is all about thinking differently. theres usually a way