PO-Modular

wanted to let you guys know that this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BV8WKCP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 adapter comes with a barrel adapter that fits the PSU exactly and works. That adapter is the wrong polarity however

AE Modular or Behringer Neutron (as a semi modular gateway) teamed with a Beatstep would be my budget suggestions.

If you get a power supply then you won’t have the PSU issues, it only happens with batteries, the filter slew isn’t really that much of an issue when modulating the filter IMHO.

It is a really nice sounding system and a good entry point to modular, it isn’t perfect but it certainly is a lot of fun and nice and compact, I don’t regret buying mine, I think TE will sort the battery power issue.

2 Likes

Damn also have the same issue with the battery pack whine…

@skeletonmeat are you recommending that adapter you linked or did you need to buy a separate adapter that had the correct polarity?

I finally got the external power to work. It indeed was just a matter of getting the correct plug.

I bought this one from amazon and it worked without any problems:

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B004KIQZYS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_lSvJCbFEFH3G4

1 Like

Finally got a response from TE with an RMA… we’ll see if anything happens now

Update: Got a shipping notification for a replacement PSU. From the turnaround time, it’s almost certainly going to have the same issues, so I’ll stick to wall-powered.

1 Like

Power in mine is acting funny because its tip is not 1.7mm and that’s what it says in the manual.
It will stay on only if propped in the proper position and any moving of the modular too much and
it turns off. I was going to mod mine and just put a 4ms row power in it and see if that changes
everything. At least I could keep the power on if I did this mod.

Does anybody know the -12 mA draw? it says 350 for the 12v somewhere in the forum but is that
for both the +and- 12?

I will document the mod process I do and share it when I finish.

So I did the mod…
http://www.outofthebag.org on the DIY page is the step by step I did.

So much better.

3 Likes

very cool! … is it that easy?

drilling was a breeze. It took about 30 minutes,
and a solder gun, a drill, a power supply, and a multimeter.

Nice work @josepailo I also made a temporary PSU solution for mine.

For reference for anyone wanting to do similar the busboard/psu connector is 2.54mm pitch, the red wire is +12v, black wire is ground, white wire is -12v.

Don’t get the wires wrong or you might blow something, I always double check before applying power.

3 Likes

Will pretty much any euro PSU work? Any power Params to be aware of?

its just +12 -12 and ground. I would take a meter and test their TE power supply to remember
what pins are what, but yea its really simple. I didn’t check the mA draw, but the supply
I am using is +12 780mA and -12 285mA and there is 5v on my supply but the PO Mod
doesn’t use 5v.

hope this helps.

3 Likes

Hello
pardon my ignorance
how do you listen to your 400, since we are not supposed to plug headphones directly?
thanks

If you turn the volume all the way down and then use a speaker that is one way.
Another is plug it into a Eurorack Mixer that has line level outs that’s another.
You can also use something like a Volca Mix to mix it with other instruments.

It is very loud level out so you just have to turn the mixer all the way down and turn up slowly.
If you go too far it can damage speakers and mixers that don’t have enough head room.

2 Likes

thanks a lot josepailo
I don’t mean to insist, but:
if we turn the volume very low, and then use headphones, is it still not possible?

inserting the line out into e.g. an OP-1 should be all right, since OP-1 has level. Correct?
thanks

It’s mono throughout so you would only hear on one side of you headphones instead of both. That’s why a Volca Mix or any mixer that turns mono to stereo helps. You could just plug headphones in Extremely Low Volume but it will only come out of the left headphone

1 Like

thanks again… very appreciated

… and, is it safe to plug the 400’s line out into:

• op-1 line in
  • one of those portable speakers
    ?
    i suppose yes, starting with very low volume
    is that correct?

If I’m not completely mistaken, its NOT safe to plug the 400 outputs into the OP-1 or any line-level gear.

From the PO400 manual:

do not connect headphones directly to the 400. you can damage your headphones or much worse your ears.

and:

do not plug outputs of the 400 directly into equipment that is not designed to handle the larger voltage. for example, pocket operators, effects pedals etc. please consult the manufacturer of the product in question if you are not sure.

Maybe you could do it with a low volume but I wouldn’t take that risk.