Pops/clicks (beta/general)

@chet: have you tried erasing the tape fully? Sometimes there are invisible tape segments left over from editing; I would try deleting the 4 tape .aif files via USB and see if that does anything. Otherwise, I’ve occasionally had clicks from String and Dr. Wave synth engines… could that be it?

It definitely sounds like your clicks/pops aren’t the same as what everyone else is talking about (which pertains to clicks at the end of looped sections)
@chet: have you tried erasing the tape fully? Sometimes there are invisible tape segments left over from editing; I would try deleting the 4 tape .aif files via USB and see if that does anything. Otherwise, I've occasionally had clicks from String and Dr. Wave synth engines.. could that be it?

It definitely sounds like your clicks/pops aren't the same as what everyone else is talking about (which pertains to clicks at the end of looped sections)

Yes I’ve done the “erase all tracks” a few different times. It does clean off all the tracks until of course I record on them again & get the pops. That said, I haven’t done any deleting aiff files VIA USB yet.

The synth patches I was using today are harm a chord & dissolver fwiw.

Yes the clicks/pops I’m talking about are not at the end of looped sections, but random.
Does any of this sound familiar to anyone else?

Also, I’ve tried to do a factory reset, didn’t help.
Is there anything else anyone might suggest? …reformat or?
Thanks much.

@chet think we’ve been having different problems. Though I have had (very occasional) random artifacfs during long passages of synth recording before too. Can’t remember the circumstances. Think it was mostly while using String. Also can’t remember whether it was due to peaking the record levels. I’ll check out those presets you mention and record a long passage here and let you know if I get the same issues.

Edit - I just has quick go with those presets. No problem recording 2 minutes of Dissolver. Harm A Chord was kind of clicky without me even going to tape tho. Especially if I hold chords. Sounded almost like occasional vinyl crackles. Badly trimmed sample loop points maybe? Not sure if these are the same clicks/pops you’re getting or you’re getting louder ones? Do you have master fx and any other CPU hitters activated?

Have you tried tweaking the presets’ synth parameters and recording levels etc and see if you can smooth things out that way? Though from what I remember I has a patch in String when I first got my OP that would seemingly randomly produce super loud clicks/pops and can’t remember if I figured it out/fixed it? Might have just been bad programming on my part. Or Maybe it’s a cpu thing, which is obviously more of a concern. I’ll try to find some time to check it out again later…

@callofthevoid Thanks for your ongoing thoughts.

As I try to sort this issue further, I’m finding that it might be an issue of pushing the OP-1 to the limits of it’s proccessing power? I honestly just find it odd that I’m the only one bothered by this limitation. Maybe because I’m NOT working in loops so much but linear.
For example, Even when holding down (sustaining notes) with Harm A Chord there are audible pops every now and then …possibly at “loop points” ?
So when I go to record in tape mode it seems the pops become more random, possibly again do to limited proccessing power. As well, this is with trying to use the ARP which I guess also involves further processing.

It doesn’t seem to be an issue of recording “levels” but, I’m starting to think that with “certain synth presets” …IF you want to hold out longer “PAD” like notes the pops seem to increase exponentially.
Again, possibly a processing limitation because I’m personally trying to do more held out ambient-ish type chords & in Linear mode ???

I have yet to figure out how most folks compose in loops (if that’s true). Can’t lift more than 14 secs I think?
I guess I’m struggling to find a workflow that’s more of a linear approach with the OP-1.

I’d love to find out I’m wrong but thus far, that’s what I’ve come up with. If this is true, I might not be able to hang with the ostensible limitations. It don’t think there’s actually anything “wrong” hardwaee-wise with my particular unit as far as I can tell.

Anyway, that’s where I’m at for now. Ongoing consideration but growing weary.

Also, Wondering if anyone has gone from the BETA version BACK to the official 14203 version ?

Is that ok to do ? Might have to ask TE to see if that helps.

When I said hardware issue, I meant a fault. You are right, no one I believe is experiencing this. Is your unit under warranty?

I hear pops and clicks on loop points occasionally and crackles when overloading the meters, usually when using unison. Never had any issue with cpu overload.

I have reverted to old OS, no issue and probably worth trying.

@chet maybe make a quick video showing your exact settings/preset/notes you’re playing/arp settings etc and others can mimic and see if they get the same problems. Just to rule out it being a hardware issue or not.

Also, like I mentioned, I get crackles here too when I hold chords down on the Harm A Chord patch. Seems like it’s probably a nonzero crossings loop point in the synth sampler settings? Have you added any reverb or delay? That could maybe explain the crackles getting exponentially worse possibly? Or maybe that preset has some kind of slow LFO slowing increasing something?

Harm A Chord is a synth sampler patch which loops from the blue marker on the wave form to the white marker. I also get a pop if I hold a continuous note down on that patch, I guess because there’s an abrupt jump from the end point to the start point. If you hold down a two note chord, you’ll have two loops of the sample running and they won’t be in time with each other, so the pops will appear more random. Do you also get pops with plain synth patches? (Note: I have heard certain settings of String make the odd pop)

Thanks for the thoughts.

@ghostly606 I bought mine used from someone on another forum so not under warranty. They said they had no issues and and I'd like to believe that. That said, my battery life is not all that great.
I may just revert to the 14203 OS.

@callofthevoid I haven't gone through all synth menu patches to experiment with which patches are at issue but maybe I should do a short video but finding the time is the problem right now. I can say that the pops seem to happen (so far only) with dissolver & harm a chord when holding them out for long passages.
...of course they're some of my favorite kinda patches for what I'm trying to do now! :(

@yoof I get the pops with the patches above ^ but seemingly not all. I haven't tried all patches in rec to tape mode.

I'm thinking I'll now revert back to the last official OS and see.

Oh man, I got an issue. I reverted back to the last official OS 14203 but when I do a restart I keep getting this message. FullSizeRender-4

So I did a motherboard check & functions test & factory reset, came out ok but still same msg on restart.
So I downloaded the OS fresh from the TE site and did Another install, this time all seems to be as should be.
Geeeesh scary for a min.

Do some more testing of the sounds and things seem better all in all.
But crap, no dissolver & harm a chord !? I didn't realize they were beta only. Damn.

Reinstall new beta, save those patches as snapshots, save to computer, reinstall old OS, load up snapshots and you’re good to go.

Could that startup issue be linked to having snapshots that include Arp still saved on the OP-1? You might need to get rid of any snapshots that include a reference to the beta OS features.

The snapshots are totally independent of sequencer settings. Good point though, could be some slump settings in there maybe?

Ah yes, that would make sense :slight_smile:

Sorry not sure what a snapshot is. (rookie)

So slump is just one specific preset / synth engine right?

It’s seeming as though most of my pop issues were with sustaining harm a chord and dissolver patches although, it still happens from time to time, albeit infrequently. I’m now just dying to get my head around op-1 more so in general.

It just seems to be a specific kinda workflow that one can either find a way to make work for them, or not.
No doubt some find their way onto some creative furtile ground though.

@chet
Slump is a synth engine.

Harm A Chord is a Sampler preset/patch.

Sampler is one of the ‘synth’ engines. But isn’t really a ‘synth’, it’s a sampler.

Snapshots are any user synth engine settings that you have tweaked in to a sound that you like and saved on OP. You then have to connect to computer to name/save/organise them.

Harm A Chord is a Sampler preset. And that preset has some issues with pop on the sample loop points I think. So holding chords will give you a bunch of seemingly random clicks each time the sample loops. Which varies in speed depending on which note you’re playing. So that might have been the problem all along maybe? Though like mentioned, it isn’t totally unheard of for very occasional clicks/pops when using synths. ‘String’ synth is especially easy to force to do this. And in the beta ‘slump’ seems to max out the cpu so that might also be prone to it, though I don’t seem to be getting any issues from Slump beside the graphics lagging when recording to tape.

Do a factory reset .
I got an old OP1 and it would crash.i reset it and it is fine.