Pre-Purchase Help, Please

Hi OP-1’ers

I have a few questions about OP-1 that I’m finding it hard to get answers for on the web and would be very grateful for some info to help my with my purchase.

One of the main uses I’ll have for OP-1 is having jams with my friend. I want to know if it’s possible to build up loops on the tape (recording several synth and drum/percussion parts) and then cut an paste the loop to extend from 4,8,16,32 bars etc without stopping playback?

I’m assuming you can overdub, selecting/building new patches without stopping playback - is this possible with sequencers and playing live phrases?
Also is it possible for me to record external audio in whilst a loop is playing and have it start looping seamlessly without stopping playback?

I also wondered how many user presets are available for synth patches - I have seen this somewhere before but can’t find it now but also wasn’t sure if this changed with further OS updates.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Hi and welcome!

You can build up loops on different tracks without stopping playback, but because pasting (a “drop”) happens at the playhead, you can’t do this without stopping. A workflow may be to record live into the sampler and then record this in real time over a number of bars, although the initial recording wouldn’t start looping.

You can record and loop external audio, no bother.

100 user synth presets, although limited to 42 sampler presets.

Hi

Thanks for that. Sounds like setting the initial loop length would be crucial to what I’m wanting to do and using the 4 tracks would give me plenty of options to add progression.
Cool sounds really promising for my purposes.
That’s a decent amount of presets : )
Nice one - away to test one today.

Appreciate your response - always good to hear from someone who actually uses one.

Cheers

op-1 is really good fun for jamming with.

recently had a jam with a few mates and there was a LOT of quality synth and computer gear there to play with including boxes from elektron, moog synths, classic korgs and rolands …
… but the thing that hit the spot all the time, that managed to fit into every mix and always created fitting sounds for each jam was the OP-1.

In terms of the cutting and pasting you cant do that live as ghostly said. but you can live record and loop on the fly.

If you’re a bit apprehensive on dropping big cash on a new one why not try get one second hand?
They hold their value pretty well at this point so if you dont like it you could sell it and get most of your money back.

but the thing that hit the spot all the time, that managed to fit into every mix and always created fitting sounds for each jam was the OP-1. blockquote> Loving the sound of that!!! Shop has sold out again. I didn't make it today to test but will get there this week - the shops 2 hours drive!

I’ve been looking at buying one for a few years but I’ve always needed something else more but now I have the cash and happy with the rest of my setup so just want to hear it in person before pulling the trigger.

Don’t mind parting with the cash if I like it and I kind of prefer the piece of mind of buying new : )
Thanks for the reply and encouragement - jamming is mostly all I really do these days!

I think most of us on here probably lusted over the OP-1 for a year or so before biting the bullet :wink:

It’s a funny little synth. I kind of have a love/hate relationship with it.
It’s great for jamming and coming up with crazy sounds. The thing I don’t like about it that much though is that it doesn’t really fit into my process of making music with the purpose of finishing and polishing a song.
That’s just me personally though.
And I’ve toyed with selling it a few times but then i’ll have a little session with it and think … nah I can’t part with this.

I can’t really see it fitting into that scenario very well either. That and the price are probably what has stopped me from buying it before.
I have all the bits and bobs for sequencing and producing that I want now so it doesn’t have to play that part which makes it more appealing! I would only really use it as a colouring in a final mix and probably wouldn’t try and write whole songs on it.
I do like building loops tho : )

I too lusted over the OP-1 for months before finally giving in. I’m a songwriter and producer in the old school tradition, so “beat making” is not really my thing. Using the OP-1 I’ve found that it really doesn’t make it easy to write and record a song in the old school way - it’s definitely geared toward beat making. That’s not to say that you can’t write songs on it - in fact the tape can record six minutes of anything you want, including a scratch vocal for a song idea - but it’s not ideal for linear recording of ideas, IMO. With the OP-1 I take a different approach, creating a groove and then improvising on that. I see a lot of that on YouTube, so I guess I’m doing it right… lol!

I think overall that the OP-1 is best on it’s own, doing it’s thing, and not trying to force it to be what it isn’t. I love the drum presets and my OP-1 will definitely get used for drums with my other gear. I love the sampler and haven’t had this much fun with a sampler since my Ensoniq Mirage back in the 80’s! There is lots to love about the OP-1, but just like all of my other gear, it has areas where it really shines and other areas where it could use a little help. But, if you want a box that fits in your backpack and has more sonic power than most keyboards twice its size, one that makes beats practically on its own, then the OP-1 is the shiznit, plain and simple.

I too lusted over the OP-1 for months before finally giving in. I'm a songwriter and producer in the old school tradition, so "beat making" is not really my thing. Using the OP-1 I've found that it really doesn't make it easy to write and record a song in the old school way - it's definitely geared toward beat making. That's not to say that you can't write songs on it - in fact the tape can record six minutes of anything you want, including a scratch vocal for a song idea - but it's not ideal for linear recording of ideas, IMO. With the OP-1 I take a different approach, creating a groove and then improvising on that. I see a lot of that on YouTube, so I guess I'm doing it right... lol!

I think overall that the OP-1 is best on it's own, doing it's thing, and not trying to force it to be what it isn't. I love the drum presets and my OP-1 will definitely get used for drums with my other gear. I love the sampler and haven't had this much fun with a sampler since my Ensoniq Mirage back in the 80's! There is lots to love about the OP-1, but just like all of my other gear, it has areas where it really shines and other areas where it could use a little help. But, if you want a box that fits in your backpack and has more sonic power than most keyboards twice its size, one that makes beats practically on its own, then the OP-1 is the shiznit, plain and simple.

Cheers BIlljv! I think loop based music seems to work well as a means of creating a performance/track on OP-1. I went and had a demo of the op-1, twice. I got a fair idea of the sound engines but was unable to go a bit deeper without following instructions/manual. I really liked it but hesitated AGAIN! I ended up buying an Analog Four! Would still love an op-1 at some point down the line.