Root Note for Sample-based Presets

If I wanted to create some sample-based patches for the OP-1, what root note should I sample from the source?

Looking to sample synth presets from hardware and software then want to be able to play them as true as possible sounding on the OP-1

Good question! I always do it by ear by comparing with another preset.
I’m quite sure this has been discussed here recently though, but couldn’t find the thread, weird!

If you’re sampling away from/outside of the OP-1 your pitched samples should be C.

If you’re sampling with the OP-1, the key you press needs to match the pitch of the thing you’re sampling.

Yeah I’ll be sampling probably into Audacity on PC recording from software and hardware then using the Patch Creator VST.

Yeah I'll be sampling probably into Audacity on PC recording from software and hardware then using the Patch Creator VST.

Is this the drum utility? I am interested to hear how to import an audio file into my OP1 for use by the Sampler, is there a tutorial available?

@ghostly606

Hrm, you’ve got me doubting if I’m going mad or not. I’m sure you can do it from drum utility.
I’ll have to try this through the week.

@ghostly606
Hrm, you've got me doubting if I'm going mad or not. I'm sure you can do it from drum utility.
I'll have to try this through the week.

I just checked and as far as I can tell, you can only generate an .aif file for the drum sampler. Perhaps you can then place that file in the synth folder and if you have only used the one sample then it will be usable. You can’t set loop points etc though.

@ghostly606 yeah I think that’s the way it works if I remember correctly.

Once you’ve got the sound in there you can then tweak the loop points etc
then save it as a proper preset in the OP-1 and export out for backup.

OP-1 is such a pain in the ass for preset archiving.