sex drive ¶¶ night drive ¶¶ op1 electro beats (cassette & digital release)

Hey thanks @docshermsticks for the explanation! I think I’m getting what you’re saying now. For example A//SEXDRIVE is one tape session that you had a bunch of 30-60 second beat ideas on that you stuck together and transitioned from one to another all within the OP-1? Did you end up rearranging the order and stuff or import the tracks into a DAW or anything? Did you work on them as separate sections with space in between then attach them or just have them one after the other from the start. Sorry for all the silly questions!

Full disclosure - I just got another op-1 second hand. This is my 3rd. Hopefully 3rd time’s a charm. The other two were sold within a year. I would do what you said, just using it as a sampler or synth and just record into a daw because I was too lazy to figure out the tape. This time i’m determined to reach that eureka moment I’m sure you had at one point to make this album.

Thanks!

@megamaeng yea! and B//NIGHTDRIVE is another tape session. they are the 3rd and 4th tapes i’ve made w/ the OP1

the first 2 if yer interested
http://music.digdugdiy.com/album/six-minutes-of-tape
http://music.digdugdiy.com/album/br-inf-rt

i just do it one after the other. gotta max out on the tape time! no rearranging, no importing, no DAW except to record the stereo outs. i usually don’t even listen to the whole thing from beginning to end until the tape is all filled up. just let it marinate

Awesome, great tips! I’m gonna have to give this a go. I keep thinking I need to import the 4 tracks to a daw because I have this thing about archiving tracks with stems either to remix or prep stuff for playing out live. But when I play out live I just fire off stereo tracks on a pad in the sp404 and split drums to the left and everything else to the right and use guitar pedals. I really should just not worry about it, focus on mixing with the op1, and just have the tape archived in an backup if I ever want to revisit it and prep stuff for live. It would be amazing if there was some lightning quick way to swap out tapes to do a full set of say like 4 or 5 tapes.

yea that would be tits.

i haven’t really messed w/ the importing at all. but theres lots of ways to go about the thang

focus on a few things at a time, instead of everything all at once. i find it can be helpful to break it down a bit.
one thing i’ve learned, is to try to make every take count. u can always undo, but if its done right when recorded the first time, it can save u a lot of headaches later on w/ getting your mix right and other stuff that tends to pop up later on down the road.

yaaa SP! <3

Yeah I’m breaking down your tips and am gonna try them out all deliberate styles. Gonna try and pretend the import function isn’t an option to force myself to get comfortable with the op1 as a solo unit.

One thing that’s worth mentioning is that if you want to do the external effects trick without the need for speakers or a mixer, you can get a traktor dj cable or any other iPad dj cable that splits the left and right signal into two separate dual mono signals. That way you can monitor with headphones.