Side chain?

Anyone able to achieve a quarter note style side chain compression effect with this lovely machine?

Also what’s the difference between “beat match” and “sync” in the metronome menu?

Sync is for locking to external midi clock.
Beatmatch ties sequencer tempo to tape speed.Slow tape will slow BPM ,plus lines for every bar appear on Tape, allowing lining upto bars with shift and <> (useful).

There will be a few workings for pump effects.Ive bounced a tape to a new track (with Ear set in mic source).I set extreme bass EQ ,plus Drive set high.Combined with kick drum and pad.Pumped it hard ,then done another bounce with a cut on bass to get a pumping pad.Then mixed with original drum track (discarding 1st bounce of extreme bass).
But another one I’m toying with is to sample to Drum sampler ,a 4bar loop I want to side chain.Then use the transient type dynamic envelope (page 2 on Drum mode) to remove the attack section.Use a short click on 2nd,3rd and 4th beats, which will drop the volume of loop (turn down Blue in envelope page).
Both are long winded processes.Some people here have made good results simulating with the attack on a synth envelope.

Wow that’s intense… The attack on synth envelope makes sense

you can make a pumping side chain with CWO on the master effect, set the blue freq to very low and the red up just a touch. it works best with out any bass going through. just drums and some synth

@Spheric_El
Sync is for locking to external midi clock. Beatmatch ties sequencer tempo to tape speed.Slow tape will slow BPM ,plus lines for every bar appear on Tape, allowing lining upto bars with shift and <> (useful).

There will be a few workings for pump effects.Ive bounced a tape to a new track (with Ear set in mic source).I set extreme bass EQ ,plus Drive set high.Combined with kick drum and pad.Pumped it hard ,then done another bounce with a cut on bass to get a pumping pad.Then mixed with original drum track (discarding 1st bounce of extreme bass).
But another one I’m toying with is to sample to Drum sampler ,a 4bar loop I want to side chain.Then use the transient type dynamic envelope (page 2 on Drum mode) to remove the attack section.Use a short click on 2nd,3rd and 4th beats, which will drop the volume of loop (turn down Blue in envelope page).
Both are long winded processes.Some people here have made good results simulating with the attack on a synth envelope.

Thanks for the tip. I’ve been trying your first technique for a week now. Do you have punch or anything special on the master? How do you get a significant duck going on from riding drive?

Ooh ,I can’t quite remember Drive settings.Hit it hard:try 50% or more, then release needs to be tuned to source and tempo, try 40 to 150 ms.
Haven’t used Punch as much, but did get interesting transients with that, with minimal punch settings and high power ,freq and experiment with rounds.(different,off topic effect).

A tip with Drive is to keep an eye on gain reduction, the meters that travel down on peaks.This gives us an idea of amount of process.Make these move a lot, but return up ,by next big transient.So a release setting over 40.

in my experience, its not just the drive. its the whole screen.

setting the output levels of L&R also acts as like a threshold for the compression.
basically you want the comp to bite hard when whatever you want to duck everything else sounds, lets say a kick.
watch the gain meters.
sometimes it helps to set the kick a lil louder than the rest of your mix.

then u can set drive and release to taste.

this concept works on pretty much any compressor. its all about the levels

Very good point about L+R setting acting as threshold and it all being signal dependant .
I wanted to say release over 40 but set to taste and is source dependant.