Site Question.... Please read and leave thoughts

Yes, let’s go. Exodus!

@foxxyz said:

@wavi said:
Good idea!
Would be great though if all the posts and users here could be imported to the new forum.
I guess users would be required to change/recreate their passwords, am I right?

Most likely. We don’t store passwords, only hashes, so unless Discourse supports the Vanilla hashing algorithm we’d all have to reset them.

Good that it’s hashes only, just like it’s supposed to be.

There is one way to support existing passwords though, but that requires some small modifications to the login code.
When an imported user (from Vanilla) logs in:

1. Hash the given password the same way as Vanilla does
  2. Make sure that the hash is the same as the imported Vanilla hash (if not, don’t continue)
  3. Make a new hash from the given password the same way Discourse does it
  4. Replace the old Vanilla hash with the new Discourse hash

That way everyone gets upgraded to the new hash just by logging in with their original password.
Not a big deal though if passwords need to be reset IHMO.

@wavi said:

@foxxyz said:

@wavi said:
Good idea!
Would be great though if all the posts and users here could be imported to the new forum.
I guess users would be required to change/recreate their passwords, am I right?

Most likely. We don’t store passwords, only hashes, so unless Discourse supports the Vanilla hashing algorithm we’d all have to reset them.

Good that it’s hashes only, just like it’s supposed to be.

There is one way to support existing passwords though, but that requires some small modifications to the login code.
When an imported user (from Vanilla) logs in:

1. Hash the given password the same way as Vanilla does
  2. Make sure that the hash is the same as the imported Vanilla hash (if not, don’t continue)
  3. Make a new hash from the given password the same way Discourse does it
  4. Replace the old Vanilla hash with the new Discourse hash

That way everyone gets upgraded to the new hash just by logging in with their original password.
Not a big deal though if passwords need to be reset IHMO.

This is definitely a way to do it, but since Discourse runs completely in a docker-based environment and needs a ~8 minute recompile every time you modify it, it’s a bit tough to make those changes on an ad-hoc basis.

I like the current Operator-1 style but, if Discourse will make the admin’s life easier, I’ll agree with the change. Thanks for your efforts and for giving us a voice on this!

@dimi3 @foxxyz thanks for all your hard work. I’d be in favour of Discourse as long as we can port all the posts across = there’s so much great info that’s been posted in the forum.

@dimi3 +1 for Discourse.

@5StarNomad said:
as long as we can port all the posts across = there’s so much great info that’s been posted in the forum.

Agree with this.

I think we will aim for a simple discourse. We will try and create a merged space between the OP-1 and the OP-Z

Great news @dimi3!

i love discourse so much! the only 2 forums i read are operator-1 and lines. lines is discourse and its awesome!!

+1 for discourse
EDIT: Discord

1​:heart:-:heart:7

I’m in the process of trying to make all my browsing dark mode, so a dark mode on a potential new forum upgrade would be gr9 for me.

@ludicrouSpeed Have you tried https://darkreader.org/?

@l0c said:
@ludicrouSpeed Have you tried https://darkreader.org/?

I have some similar stuff ?

The problem is that if it’s not coded specifically for the site, it ends up often blocking things out of ruining the usability of the page because you can’t see things like borders and highlights etc

It would be nice for mobile.

@dimi3 said:
I think we will aim for a simple discourse. We will try and create a merged space between the OP-1 and the OP-Z
Is there any update on this and/or an ETA? And will there be capability to upload images or at least alter avatars as that functionality seems to be defunct here? Thanks for all the admins work here.

tumbleweeds blowing across a post apocalyptic panorama :smiley:

Discord is fine too

Discourse yes. Have it at work and moderated the Auxy forum for a bit, it’s a great platform.

Sorry for the delay in responses. We’re working on moving the site and trying to preserve as much as possible.

I’m having trouble keeping up with the numerous spam accounts that keep popping up. @dimi3, do you know if anything has changed with respect to approvals for new accounts?