Sketch sequencer

Just tried this for first time. Can’t really make sense of it. Got my first OP freeze first time I used it. And now it’s not crashing but behavior is confusing me.

When I have the page with the ‘marx was right’ drawing open and hit keys nothing really seems to be happening. But then I close it by hitting ‘drums’ button and it’s pretty crazy sounding but cool. Can anyone shed a little light on what’s going on/some ways they use this sequencer. Guessing it’s kind of like a Animoog on ios but I can’t quite get my head round it… IMAG4031

Shift essential.
S+orange = hold.
S+green = awesome speed multiplier. It hits lfo-like mod speeds or gentle.
Do yourself a favour…remove Marx pritty preset by shakin like an old etch a sketch.start anew.
It’s the only pitch shifting seq.
See it as a pitch lfo sometimes.
Find notes with keyboard. Micro tones click up & down a third of a semi tone. So not quarter notes but 6ths.
Very interesting.
Drums don’t pitch bend ,so not as useful ,but can still do super fast trigs with rappid blue and white clock wise -try it.
(Back to synth…)
It’s an off grid seq but white & shift brings up dots over lay to help.
Playing keys helps locate pitch ,then bend pitch with diagonals.
Try the tip of drawing a C note sustain at left edge (beginning), then move left again and click one above.repeat sustain note there and do same one click beneath C. Instant detune ,unison variation.
Before leaked update …help and keyboard notes would kick in sequencers without havin to leave this page…but I believe it crashs if youve jumped to beta.

If it recorded notes live into it ,it would be the killer seq. It’s still a favorite of mine, well equal to the others.

Where I’m at on it -

4 bars of a song on tape. Sampled that to a drum kit. Slice points on keys are where they fell automatically. Around 1.5secs per key. Set all keys to ‘loop’.

Activate Sketch sequencer. Leave sketch sequencer page and go back to ‘drums’ page.

Every time I hold a key down it seems to make an insane new loop. Which is great. But I have no idea what’s going on! And also seems like there’s no way to stop what the sequencer is doing without exiting ‘drums’ all together and going to synth etc, then returning.

It’s pretty crazy sounding, Def useful for finding random stuff. But I wish I had a better idea on what’s going on. And for example how to sync ‘rec to tape’ while using it. It doesn’t seem to make a loop start instantly when I press a key, it’s silent then loop kicks in like a few milliseconds later. So it won’t auto start on the bar when recording.

@Spheric_El thanks for the info mate. Didn’t see your post before posting mine. I’ll go through it again later with those notes you wrote out and see if I can make more sense of it. It sounds pretty wild from what I’ve heard though, lots of potential :wink:

Also, the drum version of sketch outputs midi. Easy to create crazy beats with your outboard gear.

Hey @Callofthevoid to get a simultaneous start between Tape and Sequencer, you should remove “HOLD” mode.

Go to tape.
Press Rec button (Tape get red)
Then press a key (preferably the C key if you want the default pitch)
Keep the key pressed, switch to seq, turn the orange knob to HOLD, then do your crazy stuff…

I made a couple of tracks using an interesting (but fairly laborious) method with sketch. The goal was to create music where individual notes/hits were off-grid, but in a predictable way.

(*) I entered an interesting pattern on sketch where each hit was off-grid and each was on a different note

(*) I then used this pattern as the only means for overdubbing new audio to the tape

(*) For each overdub, I prepared a drumkit and set each key in the kit to either silence or the sound of my choice for the corresponding step in the sketch sequence

As mentioned, quite laborious, but produced interesting results.

Hey @Callofthevoid to get a simultaneous start between Tape and Sequencer, you should remove "HOLD" mode.
Go to tape.
Press Rec button (Tape get red)
Then press a key (preferably the C key if you want the default pitch)
Keep the key pressed, switch to seq, turn the orange knob to HOLD, then do your crazy stuff...

Thanks for the tip :slight_smile: I think that’s what I’ve been doing already tho? I’ve been liking the results from the Marx drawing so I haven’t changed it yet. Maybe that sequence doesn’t kick out audio on the first beat or something? There’s a short silence on key press… I’ll draw something new later today and see.

@yoof sounds cool, I’ll try something similar here when I get some time. Been knocking out loads of scratch pad kind of quick ideas while learning OP, be good to focus a little on something now and try and do something ‘finished’ :wink: