So many problems?

They should def make a premium version. It would probably resolve all the issues. Wishful thinking though.

1 Like

Most units work fine though, Iā€™m sorry youā€™re is having issues. You could try to send it for repair? Mine works very well.

Iā€™ve had 3 units in my hands. The first was slightly bent, the second developed double trigs and the third had double trigs and popping encoders. I have a friend that recently started noticing the random trig issue. That screams quality control problems and you just need to do a simple google search to find about this recurring problems. I simply wouldnā€™t recommend buying it second hand.
I donā€™t like the ā€œyou are using it wrongā€ apple mentality and, like I said, I wanā€™t to buy another unit but I need and official statement from TE saying that theyā€™ve sorted out the manufacturing problems.

All these issues have been getting better and better and I feel the thing is a premium product, Iā€™m completely in love with it and there is no way Iā€™m gonna let these things make me not want itā€¦ I would buy it again tomorrow, if it had any issues then I would pay to get it fixedā€¦I love it that much!!
If you really are that mad about some double trigā€™s why not just get something else? Polyend has a new portable sampler coming outā€¦ Iā€™m sure the build quality will be predictably perfect and wonā€™t have any of the quirksā€¦ Nor any of the fun weirdness that is TEā€¦ Plus it is four times the sizeā€¦
Pick your poison, my pocket operator canā€™t keep batteries in the back of it without falling out and the op1 has had lots of issuesā€¦ my friends first one was DOA, he returned it and loves it nowā€¦ but really, I love my opz so much more then the op1ā€¦ the glitchy lo-fi sound is just perfect and totally does itā€™s thing in every track I use it in, nothing can replace this thingā€¦ itā€™s like a sp1200 and a digitakt had a baby and put it in the shrinking machineā€¦

This is going to be my last reply because you are only bringing emotional and anecdotal arguments and missing the point completely. The double trig is not a quirky feature but simply an obvious malfunction that makes it very hard to input chords and melody lines. Itā€™s not that Iā€™m ā€œmad about itā€, it simply shouldnā€™t happen.
And lastly, thereā€™s a difference between a fun and quirky product like the op-1 or the Organelle and one that has faulty hardware or inconsistent quality control.
I bought the op-z because I love my Op-1 and was exited to have the next flagship product from one of my favorite brands and I associate TE with premium, creative and fun products not faulty hardware.

1 Like

But the op1 has faulty hardware too, just not yoursā€¦ and my opz works perfect, not like yoursā€¦ you are right that it shouldnā€™t happenā€¦ lots of things shouldnā€™t happen, but it did.

First of all, I like this forum, visit it regularly and enjoy the community here.
One think that slightly annoys me about it though is that even constructive criticism about TE products seems to be ignored or looked down upon.

I donā€™t mean to be causing an argument here, so please donā€™t take this wrongā€¦
Has there been any proof, that these problems are getting better?
It seems like these problems are occurring now, as they did in the beginning. And as far as I know, TE never made a statement these issues would be sorted out. Which is telling about the companyā€™s care for the consumer. Not even admitting to failures. In my opinion a ā€œpremiumā€ company, which they are clearly trying to stylize themselves as, should uphold a certain standard to try to mitigate these issues. Itā€™s just not professional behavior on their part, there is no denying that.

As much as I love my OP-Z, I canā€™t deny the shabby quality it has. Mine is a banana with serious double-trigs and pop-out encoders. I donā€™t care too much about it being bent (although I think it shouldnā€™t happen considering itā€™s a $500 device), but the double-trigs are a serious issue in terms of playability.

I think people should be able to voice these issues. Not just at TEā€™s support, but also on forums.
WHY?
So other people interested in the product know what possible problems they might encounter. If everybody just says itā€™s the best thing since sliced bread and noone is allowed to voice their troubles with it, TE will never acknowledge the problems and will just keep selling 2nd grade units to oblivious people without batting an eyelash.

Just my 2 cents.

4 Likes

I agree. I love my OP-Z so much, but I really am worried/disappointed at how many issues I see people having, and now, many of them are manifesting in my unit (warping, double trigs, and most recently, encoders popping out). Itā€™s an amazing device; however, at this price point, one really should except better quality control. Sure other devices and manufacturers have defects from time to time, but these issues are quite common and relate to the physical build quality, not just an occasional manufacture defect.

I think most people (or at least me) are so critical of these issues because 1) they effect your ability to play and use the device, and 2) they/I love the OP-Z and want to keep using it. Iā€™ve had my OP-Z for well over a year now (actually have a model with the old step component icons) and iā€™m worries I might have to replace it if these issues get worse.

The worse part, is even if I have to replace my unit, thereā€™s a good chance Iā€™d get another one with the very same issues.

1 Like

I would also love a high quality build OP-Z.

NOBODY is telling you that you canā€™t voice you opinionā€¦ just giving an alternate view. That seems to bother you. Just because you feel your opz is sub par quality does not mean they all are, or even a large majority are. Mine is from the second batch so I have had it over a year and have had zero issues. I feel it is a very high quality build and feels much better then other stuff in this price point on the market. So we have had different experiences and have formed different opinionsā€¦ Thatā€™s okā€¦ but donā€™t pretend like me or anyone else is trying to ā€œshut you upā€ or something just because we have had no issues, that is not true and makes it seem like TE has a faulty product and is bullying people, that is not true eitherā€¦
The truth is that there has been much less complaint of these issues then in the past, to me that means is getting betterā€¦ it is a known thing that there were lots in the first couple batches with the popping encoders and double trigā€™s, but it seems these issues have been less and less, maybe people are just complaining less idk. But neither of our experiences are a indication of the larger picture so neither can pretend like they are. Iā€™m really over talking about this, sorry youā€™re had had issues, I know that has to make you mad somewhatā€¦ usually the ones with the problems are the loudest.

2 Likes

Expecting TE to admit fault in their design when they are 1. Way too proudā€¦ and, 2. A design firm, not a instrument makerā€¦ is just a bit like pissing in the windā€¦ sure I wish they would tooā€¦ But we know they wonā€™tā€¦ thatā€™s just not how they work, the have always been a company that does not care after the sale, with little to no support.

You sound like a brainwashed fanboy.

I didnā€™t say you told me to shut up, I am only expressing a general feeling that I get when someone criticizes TE products. (Just my perception, you might see it different)

Also I donā€™t expect TE to ever come out and speak plainly about their issues. I donā€™t expect them to because I can see that they donā€™t seem care about customers (Please TE prove me wrong). I think it is unprofessional of them and the argument that they are a small company doesnā€™t fly anymore. There are a lot of smaller companies that handle customer service a whole lot better and admit flaws (like intellijel).
And because I realize that they probably wonā€™t admit to their flaws it is even more important for the consumer to voice it when they have issues. Because who else is gonna make it known to other potential buyers?
In that sense it is not really pissing in the wind, I would say.

In addition, a DESIGN FIRM should be familiar with the materials they use and therefore be checking if the material warps and if the buttons workā€¦no matter if itā€™s an instrument or a chair.
Otherwise Iā€™d consider it bad Industrial Design.

Anyway, hope this makes my stance clear. I donā€™t want to attack any person here and I hope nobody feels attacked. I am just voicing disappointment with a company that received a lot of money from me and other people and doesnā€™t provide the service it should (provide a non-faulty product).

2 Likes

They will just abandon it and make something else that will sell out immediatelyā€¦ I guess you made your point though.

That wasnā€™t his point at allā€¦ He point was for TE to admit the OP-Z has issues and fix it. This mentality of ā€œwell if itā€™s not good enough for you just buy something differentā€ doesnā€™t fly. The reason we are (or at least I am) so critical of the OP-Z is because I LOVE it. The issues we are bringing up are not ā€œman, I wish it could do X, and because it canā€™t do X, itā€™s a crappy device.ā€ The issues we are bringing up are quality control and sustainability issues. I want the OP-Z to be better because I want to be able to use it without it breaking/malfunctioning in my hand.

3 Likes

You guys can pitch a fit all you likeā€¦ you will not get what you want and will destroy any resale value as well as insuring that TE has no interest in further development what so everā€¦ So for someone that says you love it you sure are hurting itā€¦ you really think they are gonna apologize to you and commit to admit they made huge mistakes and redesign it for almost no profit at all? Just because you say thatā€™s what they should do? I wonā€™t hold my breath for that and just keep loving it for what it isā€¦ not crying because of the things itā€™s notā€¦ If that makes me a fan wellā€¦ Im notā€¦ Iā€™m realistic.

And what do you mean it doesnā€™t fly? By whoā€™s standards? If you donā€™t like it then buy something elseā€¦ your not speaking with your walletā€¦ TE could care less about you and you have no effect on themā€¦ who cares what you say can fly or not? I sure donā€™tā€¦

You sound like a total fanboy, double trigs - love it, they are happy accidents, popping encoders and bent case - thatā€™s the way it is, love it or notor buy something else. Imagine Elektron releasing Octatrack 2 with randomly non working step buttons or screen showing other functions than you actually pressed by buttons. Letā€™s say, after some firmware update OP-Z will start resetting and loosing all data. ā€œI LOVE IT, THAT IS A HAPPY ACCIDENT, I LOST ALL MY PROJECTS, THIS BOOSTED MY CREATIVITY, I CAN START WORKING ON SOMETHING NEW, WOW TEā€.

1 Like

If youā€™ve narrowed it down to those two, I would definitely go with the OP-1.

:grin: