suggestions for new firmware features

spoiled musicians with their multi-core, multi-Ghz devices, thinking it's just a flick of a finger to get something awesome on a low-power, low-mem embedded device like the BlackFin inside the OP-1.

Sorry boys but from a programmer's perspective, most of what you want is utterly impossible to squeeze in there and QA qithout disrupting what's there right now.

World peace might just work though...

Lol. No one said it would be easy :wink: Just feels like it needs a shot in the arm or a price dropā€¦

spoiled musicians with their multi-core, multi-Ghz devices, thinking it's just a flick of a finger to get something awesome on a low-power, low-mem embedded device like the BlackFin inside the OP-1.

Sorry boys but from a programmer's perspective, most of what you want is utterly impossible to squeeze in there and QA qithout disrupting what's there right now.

World peace might just work though...

Maybe itā€™s time to jettison some things that are least used for more useful things? Do folks really depend on the sketch sequencer? Yes itā€™s cute that it uses the accelerometer, but would you rather have a better tool?

Sketch is Boss.
True wobblieness plus vast speed range. contributes to the OP-1 sound on a major way ā€¦for some. See it as a pitch LFO ,amongst other things.

midi control over transport controls. rec, play, stop, in, out, ghost jump, track mute/ then I can use my FCB1010/op1 for looper duties. Ive been asking since launch. and i will continue to ask.

random things id like to see but dont need;

Distortion effect
Copy Pasting between the sequencers.
More Real Value information (tiny text)
more control over pitch shifting/time stretching.

Merge down tracks.

Either Undo, or I think I might actually prefer a simple ā€œcommit-to-tapeā€ feature. I would love to stay in record mode more often and then choose to commit my last clip to a track. At present I feel precious about entering record mode because Iā€™m sure Iā€™ll screw up my track that Iā€™m overdubbing. This means I often miss good stuff hat I want to keep

While recording, if I switch to synth or drums, I would love to see a progress bar (just a few pixels along the top or bottom of the screen) that would show me where the tape head is Within the current loop. That way I can easily see when a loop is almost complete or where each bar ends and I can have a visual queue to stop playing. I often keep playing after the loop and end up overdubbing. This is probably less important if you have a solid drum track already, but I stink at drums right now.

I also second the idea of shrinking the tape reel animations and fitting something more helpful on screen.

Donā€™t know if itā€™s totally impossible, (maybe for op-2) but treat clips as midi. Then we can tweak , change, remove, add effects after the fact. Wouldnā€™t that mean smaller files and more free disk space?

And it feels like a bug that the encoders donā€™t change settings each click. Has it always been that way?

Hi @justgotanop1 ,
Some settings may take a few clicks to move on. Others are quite broad and can require shift & encoder to fine tune settings. It depends what your editing.
With the midi clips thing - thatā€™s what the sequencers are. You will just need to change your work flow to embrace the OP-1 method. (Itā€™s certainly unique.)
And for undo we can lift a track - re drop it ,before recording and if we mess up there is a copy ready to re drop . Or just copy the whole loop (shift & lift) ,drop next door and experiment.

Used my Op1 for couple hours by itself for first time in a while today. Got reminded of a few things that could maybe be added in updates -

• Copy pattern from finger to endless. And vice versa if within step limit.
  • Transpose finger sequences
  • Pattern metronome
  • Pattern extendable to 32 or 64 steps
  • Some kind of Drive effect param per patch
  • Some kind of memory status. Sucks hitting the patch save limit out the blueā€¦

Those functions + the stuff I previously mentioned (tape markers, return of the beta arpeggio etcā€¦) and Iā€™d be pretty stoked.

Here are another two features, that would be fun:

• LFO: quantized Divisions below 1 like 1/2, 1/3, 1/4, 1/5, 1/6 or some slower lfo that cycles every 2 (3,4,5,6,7,8) beats as modulation source
  • arpeggiator parameters as modulation targets of the LFO

Noob, so take with grain of saltā€¦
I would trade an album side for an Undo buffer.
Quantize live drum inputs when metronome is enabled.

You might need to sacrifice both album sides for undo (2 x 6 min stereo tracks = 4 x 6 min mono). Would be a good option tho. Could have undo available while jamming in tape and then disable it when you wanna record to album.

Just three things:

1. Epic , smooth Reverb
  2. Free adjustment of beatmarkers (4/8/16/32)
  3. Being able to save patterns in the endless sequencer (at least 3)
I have one simple request; double / quadruple the length of the pattern sequencer.

Saving sequences would be nice, or at least the ability to lift from pattern and drop into finger.

+1

A small change for TE but a big change for consistency: Make the color highlights on the DSynth match the encoders used to change them for the green and white encoder!

Edit: Nvm, Iā€™ve upgraded to th elatest official FW in the meantime and lo and behold: Itā€™s ā€œfixedā€. Thanks

1 Like

Bypassing the master FX for some channels. This could be implemented by clicking the encoders on the mixer screen to toggle on/off.

I would very much like Crank LFOā€™s position to be saved like any other LFO setting. When set to ā€œspeakerā€ mode it allows to detune patches, control their volume and add neat overdrive. Tons of utility thatā€™s already in the system, just not saveable. This would be a god-send for enhancing some sounds.

Also, I would like Random LFO to have a selector for destination rather than affecting all parameters at once.

ā€”

Smooth reverb would make OP-1 a killer machine for ambient electronic music. Itā€™s definitely one of the biggest gaps in machineā€™s sound palette. Spring sounds way too metallic if itā€™s tuned up. Grid can make a kind of reverb, but itā€™s character is ugly, especially when you play low-frequency sounds through it.This is why I bought Big Sky. It turns ā€œinterestingā€ OP-1 patches into truly amazing stuff.

+1 on bypass master fx per mixer channel with knob presses.
Great idea. seems doable?

1 Like

I would like TE to openup the firmware at some places. Audio processing should be open so anyone could create custom effects/engines/LFOā€™s/sequencers.
Thats my only request. And it would really make sense. At least for me. The OP-1 could be so much more to everybody.

donā€™t go changingā€¦

a lot of the features people are asking for i have on other workstations and music machines. i never ever finish tracks on those things.

no undos and no saving of sequences are two of my favourite features of the OP1. it means i donā€™t just endlessly make minute adjustments and never commit to anything.

not to mention that lift+drop is basically also an undo buffer