T3 Effects question.

Hi, I would try looking on Youtube but I’m two weeks in an area where watching video is like the good old days of dial up. I’m taking time to really get to know my OP-1, I’ve printed off the user guide I got from here, thanks. One thing I seem to be getting stuck on is that I’d like to apply effects to a sample I recorded off the radio into my synth engine. I’d like to apply Nitro to the sample and record any encoder manipulations I make to tape.

I seem to be coming unstuck here, as to record appears to require going into Tape mode, which once in, hitting record, then pressing synth,then selecting T3 and providing Nitro is clunky and interrupting the flow of recording. I’m sure I’m doing it wrong.

I thought I might be able to apply the effect to a tape track once the unaltered sample has initially been laid down. Once again, if this can be done, I haven’t quite sussed it yet. If anyone here knows where I’m going wrong, please advise. Thanks :slight_smile:

<span style=“color: rgb(37, 38, 30); font-family: “lucida grande”, “Lucida Sans Unicode”, tahoma, sans-serif; font-size: 14.3px; line-height: 20.02px; background-color: rgb(252, 252, 255);”>> “providing Nitro is clunky and interrupting the flow of recording”

<span style=“color: rgb(37, 38, 30); font-family: “lucida grande”, “Lucida Sans Unicode”, tahoma, sans-serif; font-size: 14.3px; line-height: 20.02px; background-color: rgb(252, 252, 255);”>I don’t quite get it… If you do what you say, coming back to the synth then hitting T3 once should get you to the FX page, then you can toy with the parameters, should work without any pb.
<span style=“color: rgb(37, 38, 30); font-family: “lucida grande”, “Lucida Sans Unicode”, tahoma, sans-serif; font-size: 14.3px; line-height: 20.02px; background-color: rgb(252, 252, 255);”>
<span style=“color: rgb(37, 38, 30); font-family: “lucida grande”, “Lucida Sans Unicode”, tahoma, sans-serif; font-size: 14.3px; line-height: 20.02px; background-color: rgb(252, 252, 255);”>Either you toy with the FX while playing the synth or drum, or you record your synth/rum to Tape, then you resample with ear while toying with the Master FX.
<span style=“color: rgb(37, 38, 30); font-family: “lucida grande”, “Lucida Sans Unicode”, tahoma, sans-serif; font-size: 14.3px; line-height: 20.02px; background-color: rgb(252, 252, 255);”>
<span style=“color: rgb(37, 38, 30); font-family: “lucida grande”, “Lucida Sans Unicode”, tahoma, sans-serif; font-size: 14.3px; line-height: 20.02px; background-color: rgb(252, 252, 255);”>What’s wrong with your plan ?

Sorry, I didn’t articulate that at all well, what I meant to convey was that it seems that having hit record, one has to press a short sequence of buttons to move from tape to the effect of choice before then beginning to tweek parameters using the encoders. What I had hoped was that there might be a way whilst in an effect, to hit record, then continue with encoders without having to navigate to the effect in the first place.

Another minor headache I’ve run into today is not being able to undo a take such as a badly timed note on a recording. In an ideal world, I’d hear the mistake and perform an ‘undo’ function, then try again. Is this not something that can be done?

Try pressing record in synth mode,T3 open.
Hold record while stopped. As soon as keys are pressed play&rec kicks in allowing you to release rec and do your FX jams to tape.

undo = lift + drop your tape track before you record. saves the lifted portion in a buffer.

if you mess up just keep dropping the saved clip and try it again.

@Spheric_El I do believe as soon as recording starts you’re sent to Tape screen. Might be wrong on this one… Have to test this :slight_smile:

Ah ok.
T3 should stay open ,I thought, even when moving to another mode (Tape) then when returning to Synth T3 still open?
Yes does need clarification ,thanks @LyingDalai .

Thanks for the responses, the undo workaround seems like a workaround :slight_smile: The dynamic alteration of Nitro during recording does seem to involve starting in Tape, hitting Record, swiftly switching back to Synth, then T3, then encoders. I successfully pulled off an intro using these steps but it did feel a little clunky. I do wish TE would make an accompanying app for more precise manipulation of track elements so that the kind of ‘parts’ the Op1 is very good at creating can be arranged in a more traditional DAW framework. I do love the device but having had it for a couple of months, I often get frustrated at the way that errors in timing, and other user artefacts can really drag a tune backwards instead of forwards. Having said that, I’ve seen some wonderful creations on Youtube so I’m guessing at some point, a shorthand and practical method can yield more satisfying results.

@hiabex the thing is, OP1 is a lot different from an Elektron where you can always alter the source. Usually, it’s better to sample what you do, put some FX on top, maybe sample in drumsampler and get crazy with it, etc.
I.e. Work with audio and forget the idea to always keep the source…
I know, it’s hard. But do it and keep walking, soon you’ll find funny tricks and interactions with e.g. a sequencer, etc.

@Spheric_El you were righ, mate : when you’re on T3 FX screen and start recording, Tape screen apears, but as soon as you hit the Synth button you end up on the former T3 FX screen.
Not as painful as what you were describing, @hiabex :smiley:

Excellent! I will try it in the morning.