Tape Track Bouncing Megathread!

So I’ve been doing a little bit of experimenting, as the way I see it there’s quite a few ways to bounce down to free up tracks once you’ve recorded on all 4 tape tracks.

Here’s the methods I’ve seen:

1 Tracks 1,2,3 bounce using ear onto Empty Track 4

2 Bounce Tracks to Album

3 Bounce Tracks to Sampler

4 Bounce Tracks to Drum Sampler

But there’s a 5th method, which I’ve not seen mentioned anywhere, and that’s that you can mute a track with stuff on it and use ear to overdub all the other tracks onto it.

So for example you have drums on track 1 and bass on track 2, You can mute track 1, activate the ear to record the output, and record to overdub the bass on track 2 onto the drums on track 1.

Maybe it was just me misunderstanding, and this is the way everyone’s been doing it, but previously, if I had 4 tracks recorded, I’d be moving things around to free up a track so I could bounce everything down together onto it.

From my experimenting, this method seems to avoid the volume drop you get when you do it that way.

I’m probably going to edit this first post with pros and cons of each method, so feel free to chime in!

14 Likes

Like! Never thought about the 5th one, smart move

1 Like

Clever! Taak

1 Like

Oh hell yeah. Some serious thinking outside the box there.

Getting the mix just right between the two is a bit tricky. Is there a trick to that?

1 Like

Love it Thanx!

1 Like

This is the most useful/helpful tip so far, thank you! It changed my workflow for good.
Method 1 Composer :slight_smile:

1 Like

interesting, going to try this out after my charge!

1 Like