teenage engineering op-1 not charging via usb

charging. it will fill up and stop once fully charged.

thanks a ton. i think the issue might be subsiding - will post back soon w/ more info… my sense is that @husker may have it right, and that the battery had a hard time popping back.

sound like you might be waking your sleeping battery - good luck!

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/low_voltage_cut_off

FWIW, ended up sending the unit back to TE and getting a necessary repair done.

try TE Boot

Try unplugging it. Sometimes mine won’t power up when it’s connected to power/USB.

If that alone doesn’t work, see if it will start up in TE Boot (diagnostic mode) by holding the Com button when you turn it on.

Are you getting any charging LEDs lighting up?

I got the same problem, four times, but it recovered.

But now something different appears, as the usb line got a voltage spike due to transformer failure.
Right before the incident the unit was operative, having used it for quite a while whitout problems since last blackout… So I’m guessing something related with EMF over usb can stun the OP-1.

The time of the incident the unit was indirectly connected to a midi to usb unit, its powerline fused.
Op-1 was connected but off. Now refuses to turn on.

Again, just seconds before, I was using the Op-1 without hassles.

Is there a way to reset the unit? I do not know I can I have harmed the unit if it was off this way, but it has…

Any idea???

Leds not charging. Opening for check if something bad happened…

FYI the transformer in question is the tectronic shipped wth the Kenton midi to usb; 5v, 1.2a.

That caused the blackout, and possibly stun the OP1.

PCB fried… that’s why… anyone knows about voltage protection usb cable??

FWIW, ended up sending the unit back to TE and getting a necessary repair done.

Out of interest, how much did the repair cost?

Mine has had the same issues since I got it - always assumed updates may fix it, but now im getting the same issues so frequently, as well as an infuriating off = on, and on = on on the slider…

I think after almost 3 years of hoping, it might be time to bite the bullet and get a repair :frowning:

Hello, just a thought for those experiencing battery wonkiness :

"to recalibrate the battery meter please do the following: disconnect USB, turn your unit on and leave it on until it turns off by itself. do not manually turn off the unit. this could take up to 18 hours. the unit is off when the screen has turned black. after this, charge it fully using a computer or any standard USB charger. this can take about 2.5 - 6 hours depending on your situation. (the battery is 1800mA). this should recalibrate the battery indicator."

Source : https://teenage.engineering/guides/op-1/help

1 Like

Happy Holidays everyone.

I believe I may be experiencing the same issue as the first/original post(er).

This is my second OP-1 to purchase, after my first was taken by Mexican Customs in Guadalajara Airport a few months back. So I’m really hoping and praying that I do not have to purchase a third.

I’ve attached a quick clip as reference. Has anyone experienced this before? Either way, does anyone have any suggestions, troubleshooting tips?

Thank you for your time and any info you’re able to share.

Looks like that video isn’t going to upload. Basically, when I turn the OP-1 on, I get a flicker on the display and a slight sound from the speaker - outside of / after that, nothing. I’m going to charge for the next few hours using the USB + charger (not the computer) to see if anything changes.

In the meantime, again, any info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Heath

Maybe you’ve all solved it. But here’s how I brought my OP-1 back to life (only yesterday).

Prerequisite is that the unit gives at least a minimal response when you try and turn it on. Mine didn’t show anything in the display… but a slight burst of noise was audible from the speaker, about 1 second after the attempted switch-on.

If that noise isn’t audible… just try to charge it (with the power off) for a looong time. Just hook it up to a good power source, and leave it there for a day. It should give you some juice… and switching it on should give you that little burst of noise. If that’s not there, you might be in REAL trouble.

But let’s assume it’s there…

Try to boot into te-boot mode. Press the “COM” key while you turn the unit on… you might have to wait a little… but a menu should appear. You can try some of the options here… but that didn’t do anything for me. I had to reinstall the entire firmware.

1. So… hook your unit up to a PC or Mac via USB. It should appear as an external Drive. Mine showed up with NO content whatsoever.

2. Download the appropriate firmware from the TE website. Should be an image file of some sorts.

3. Drag it onto the external drive that is your OP-1.

4. Eject that drive from the OS.

5. Unplug the OP-1

6. Power it off… and on again.

7. It should start reinstalling the OS.

8 Hale-fucking-lujah!