The Definitive Guide to Trying to Connect Your OP-1 Via USB-MIDI

Maybe look into the iConnectAudio4. It has MIDI DIN in and out, USB Host for MIDI, and audio ins and outs. Might take care of all of your needs. I don’t know how the audio acts without a laptop or iPhone/iPad controlling it. But worth looking into for sure. If you ever need additional MIDI DIN, then MIDI splitters are cheap. But might as well use USB MIDI when you can - one cable that you probably have hundreds of by now. Hope this helps.

I just tried connecting the op-1 and my iPad Air 2. It works. In both directions. But when I play on the op-1 keys i get a message on the iPad that the connected accerories need too much power. I use a simple usb to iPad adapter. Anyone else experienced this?

I’ve just given this a go with the raspberry pi - which judging by other people’s experience should work without too much hassle. I followed instructions using ‘aconnect’ in raspbian:

Op 1: USB-MIDI connection to rpi
OT: Standard 5-pin DIN connector with el cheapo USB-MIDI cable to Rpi
Observations…

• Both devices are recognised when I query with aconnect -i
  • When connected individually I can see that midi data is being sent to the rpi using aseqdump ip command
  • When both are connected Device 2 goes a little haywire: midi timing is all over the place and when I play notes it triggers random midi events
  • I can connect both devices together using aconnect port1 port2 with some success i.e. notes/clock are sent/received but, as above, the timing is all over the place and the notes being received are not those being sent

Is there any reason why these devices would function correctly when used individually but conflict with each other when plugged together? Perhaps its a dodgy usb-midi/din cable - but weird how they seem to be able to communicate with the Rpi individually:(

I just tried connecting the op-1 and my iPad Air 2. It works. In both directions. But when I play on the op-1 keys i get a message on the iPad that the connected accerories need too much power. I use a simple usb to iPad adapter. Anyone else experienced this?

OK. Just remembered to switch off charging. That way it should work with the iPad via USB.

A few people have mentioned ‘pisound’ hifi soundcard for raspberry pi with 5 pin midi din ports built in. I bit the bullet and bought one and confirm - amazing plug and play connectivity for midi - Octatrack and Op-1 work out of the box using the ‘modep’ raspbian distribution available on blokas’ (pisound manuf) website, no obvious hitches. I’ve also connected a Beatstep Pro and Op-1 through the pisound in the same way - no fuss.

What’s proving to be even cooler though is with pisound you get an instant DI box which you can plug guitars, bass, microphones directly and straight from there into the octatrack. No need for a preamp for these instruments.

Cooler still is using modep and pisound you get a whole suite of guitar fx style plugins, softsynths and other fx that you can apply to the instruments and/or control through midi by the octatrack. You can use the raspberry pi/pisound without a monitor - but can connect to it wirelessly using an Android/apple phone or tablet to change FXs and connect your equipment together using a graphical interface: https://blokas.io/pisound/docs/MODEP/

£100-ish well spent. Highly recommend if you’re looking for a versatile/compact set-up.

https://www.operator-1.com/index.php?p=/discussion/4011/usb-midi-sync-hub-invention-for-cheap-but-do-you-need-that#latest

…this is the only thing everyone needs. no hassle. no hick ups. tight and fast USB midi.

Im trying to find the most affordable (but still reliable) device for midi expansion for my OP… really hoping to find something that doesnt need a power supply. would the midisport work? If I could even find the right cable to connect them… https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MIDISport2AE--m-audio-midisport-2x2-anniversary-edition?gclid=CjwKCAiAlfnUBRBQEiwAWpPA6cJVCleTVKacbj1ZUbYeL6DRE5Aj2XaUb2_aUDycrNFb0CFGqXz6CBoCGAwQAvD_BwE

any other suggestions?
Is anyone there has the CerebelUSB ?

Yes I have the cerebelUSB. In fact Im just trying to use the op-1 together with a Boss RC 505 looper (slave). Inbetween I use the midihost. The tempo transmits fine to the looper but Tape "play" does not start the looper. Does anyone have an idea on how to make this happen?

Did you ever figure this out? Im hoping to use my op with my infinity looper…

Im trying to find the most affordable (but still reliable) device for midi expansion for my OP... really hoping to find something that doesnt need a power supply. would the midisport work? If I could even find the right cable to connect them... https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MIDISport2AE--m-audio-midisport-2x2-anniversary-edition?gclid=CjwKCAiAlfnUBRBQEiwAWpPA6cJVCleTVKacbj1ZUbYeL6DRE5Aj2XaUb2_aUDycrNFb0CFGqXz6CBoCGAwQAvD_BwE

any other suggestions?

No, that will not work. Something like the hobbytronics that people have mentioned or the cerebelUSB will be the cheapest – but most limited for future expansion. If you don’t plan on going for more than OP-1 and one USB DIN device, then cheap will be easy. Anything more will cost more.

Hi. Have anyone tried out the Miditech USB host. Seems better than the Cerebel V2 since it has both IN and OUT. Further it is cheaper than the Kenton.

https://www.thomann.de/dk/miditech_usb_midi_host.htm

cheers

It’s not cheap (roughly $225 on reverb) but you can use a USB hub and it has some pretty cool I/o and Midi hacking abilities… https://www.bome.com/products/bomebox
anyone have one?

I am trying to sync my op-1 to the rest of my rig, using the Kenton. The sync works for everything else but the tempo numbers are way off for the op1. Sync works great over usb, but I get a bad hum that way. Any ideas? connection settings are correct.

@nomadjames

what’s your setup and midi clock source? I have Kenton too and it just works.

@mathelev said:
Hi. Have anyone tried out the Miditech USB host. Seems better than the Cerebel V2 since it has both IN and OUT. Further it is cheaper than the Kenton.

https://www.thomann.de/dk/miditech_usb_midi_host.htm

cheers

Can anyone comment on this? it seems to be a cheap solution (if it works)

1 Like

any new portable battery powered solutions?

@Onemanbandthing I have a bomebox.
Experimenting with: OP1 + BomeBox connected to a Roli Seaboard Rise. Midi Hacking the Seaboard MPE values and mapping to the four Midi CCs of the OP1.
btw. bomebox is connected to micro usb battery power.

So, basically everything is battery powered. OP1, Seaboard & BomeBox.

I could not find any information on here about the Midiplus USB MIDI Host Controller (https://www.amazon.ca/midiplus-USB-MIDI-Host-Controller/dp/B074NGTGHN)

Has anybody tried it with the op-1? There is one post mentionning on reddit that they’ve used it to control a midi device from the op-1 but I’m wondering if it’s working on the other way? (Reliably controlling the op-1 from an external controller).

it took me way too many hours of fiddling around but i finally figured out how to connect w/ serial to enable realtime messages w/ the hobbytronics usb midi host boards.

while searching how tf u are supposed to do this, i came across this thread which i think some ppl said that the realtime messages didn’t work correctly for op1? but this was from several years ago.

not sure if the guy fixed it in subsequent updates or what but
can say that the clock sync to/from both the op1 and opz are golden! among others.

if anyone is ever trying to do this on mac osx
(because i couldn’t find much info on this)
don’t use terminal (& screen command)
for some reason i couldn’t get it to work at all.
used CoolTerm like someone suggested here and added the baudrates.ini file w/ 31250 in it
in the same directory for the correct baud rate.
used a FTDI Basic from sparkfun (any FTDI serial thingy should work).
connected RX of FTDI Basic to TX of hobbytronics
TX to RX
and 5V to 5V and GND to GND.
or if u are powering the HT separately already,
u just need to connect the GNDs (is important as just connecting RX and TX doesn’t work either)

hope this might help someone out there now or in the future

@Boytec said:
Is anyone there has the CerebelUSB ?

Yes I have the cerebelUSB. In fact Im just trying to use the op-1 together with a Boss RC 505 looper (slave). Inbetween I use the midihost. The tempo transmits fine to the looper but Tape “play” does not start the looper. Does anyone have an idea on how to make this happen?

did you figure this out I AM GOING to have both these devices soon