The NAMM Thread (22-25 January 2015)

no polyphonic sequencing on the beatstep pro, though? hmmmm. =\

oh dear lord… scratch that… throw it in the bin

lol. i can’t tell if you’re being sarcastic or not. i think you are, but i’m not sure. :slight_smile:

i think it looks totally awesome, but i like chords! hmph!

Overbridge is here! from Elektron Instagram

I don’t see the point of Overbridge TBH, maybe I am missing something but surely if you use a DAW then you already have a means of getting audio into your computer, does it matter if it is by Overbridge (USB) or the audio outputs of the Elektron? Or is there more to it than that? I mean is the audio quality going to be better than a decent audio interface? Personally I’d rather they concentrate on fixing some of the other OS issues.

at least one biggie @darenager is that with the Overbridge, the Analog four (one physical stereo out) can multi-track its synth track to the computer, as if you had four stereo outs on the A4, if I’m not mistaken.

The other is that there’s supposedly some kind of VST-like control possibility of the A4 on your DAW, but that just completely defeats the purpose of why I got into hardware in the first place.
I don't see the point of Overbridge TBH, maybe I am missing something but surely if you use a DAW then you already have a means of getting audio into your computer, does it matter if it is by Overbridge (USB) or the audio outputs of the Elektron? Or is there more to it than that? I mean is the audio quality going to be better than a decent audio interface? Personally I'd rather they concentrate on fixing some of the other OS issues.

I only have an Apogee duet, so the ability to multitrack my RYTM without buying an expensive new interface is one of the reasons I bought it!

Ah ok, I see. I don’t use a computer for music so that never occured to me about the separate channels thing.

Gotta agree about the VST thing though, controlling Elektron gear used to be about standalone hands on tweaking, and it seems that most other companies are getting away from being tied to a computer (finally) then Elektron go the opposite way!

cool thanks, VF. unfortuantely, 4-tracks and no sampler are a no go. damn. form factor looks perfect though.

Any word on new workstations at NAMM? Since TE didn’t give us an OP-2 (a Microsampler-sized workstation with expanded track count would have rocked) I’m hoping someone gives us a more portable solution (in many ways the OP-1 is too small for comfort). Methinks a Microsampler sized synth/sampler/sequencer workstation would sell nicely. If not, I’m going to have to plunge for a big ass Fantom :-/

Sounds like this is what you want. Microkorg size. 4 parts (2 digi, 1 analog, 1 PCM) each with a sequencer track and a vocoder. Sounds like a nice all in one little package.

http://www.rolandus.com/products/jd-xi/

why no synth/sampler/sequencer workstation in a microkorg-sized package?? seems like it would sell fairly well. we either have the teeny op-1 or the mammoth korg/roland workstations. argh!

why no synth/sampler/sequencer workstation in a microkorg-sized package?? seems like it would sell fairly well. we either have the teeny op-1 or the mammoth korg/roland workstations. argh!

Microsampler? Always wanted one of those!

Wow AKAI - Expanding the Wolf shite range with more flat dead sounding rubbish! What a JOKE!

It’s funny that it’s the same guy showcasing this stuff as was showing off the original wolf.

The Beatstep Pro seems a good upgrade to the first version which is a little limited and gets boring after a while - i think the thing i dont like about is that you are guessing at notes in the sequencer. If they had a display on the thing it would have been a lot better.

Actually think I will pass on the new OP offerings. “Toys” like these are too much of a distraction and I’ve promised myself to really get my head down this year when it comes to music making.

^ I thought you’d be excited about the new Wolves! LOL

Hahaha. I’m gonna empty my bank account and buy the whole range multiple times over - fill a room with it all!

After me saying I wouldnt buy the “toys” above I just have haha.

I figure they’ll be cool for time away from serious musicmaking and fun for jams with the OP and Volca Sample.

Please hurry up and send them TE :slight_smile:

@spacetravelmadeeasy wait you just bought it on the TE site?

The new site is up, but I’m having trouble with the store. I can’t add the cases to my cart (though I’ve decided I don’t want them after all) and it fails on the shipping address screen with ‘paymentMethodNotFound’.

Has anyone else made it through the checkout process?

@honkfestivalI just made it through the checkout process, and I also tried adding the case too, but it didn’t show up. Is it possible that it’s free?? There isn’t a price graphic just ($$$)

^ Yeah could not add cases to my cart either :frowning:

Colette didn’t sell them either, so I’ll presume they’re still in the prototype stage :slight_smile:

They really shouldn’t put stuff on their shop if they don’t have it :expressionless:

Yeah the Microsampler is damn fun and perfect size, but no synth and no song mode. it’d be awesome if someone did a portable workstation ala Fantom G8.

Microsampler? Always wanted one of those!

Sonicstate from the TE booth: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGCT6dAfrNk

Well, JD-Xi looks pretty interesting. It would probably seem more impressive if the demo guy atually tried playing something. I think it would make for a great beginner’s synth. (Although, knowing Roland there has to be something wrong with it. Some kind of thing that makes all the features not work together.)

Prophet-6 sounds amazing, just like most Dave Smith stuff.

TE’s toys made a better second impression on me from this video, but I am still not particularly interested in any of them. I will buy the drum machine when and if TE releases new OS update for OP-1.