The Perfect App Companion?

It seems rather amazing to me that the OP-1 has not inspired a companion app. To me it seems like such a no-brainer, given that doing so could really extend and showcase the functionality of the OP-1. I totally get that the OP-1 is designed to be used “standalone”, however they didn’t shy away from computer interfacing with their file structure or firmware upgrades, not to mention a manual… So it isn’t like a “purist” thing where a computer is totally taboo.

A companion app that extended the multitrack or effects capabilities, maybe including a real-time sequencer, would be a very nice addition to this product’s offerings. Yes, there are other apps that can do these things, but not one specifically designed for the OP-1. I would be willing to pay a pretty decent price for this. Yamaha has done a pretty decent job of making companion apps for their workstations, so there is a precedent for this type of app.

So… TE, or third party developers… Where is it? Somebody can come along and take the OP-1 to the next level. After several years it could use this shot in the arm.

Yes this would be cool.
Snapshot naming ,auditioning.

Always thought this about the OP-1 too.

Thought that this would be the means that they would increase the capabilities of this machine and get round restrictions of memory size and processor size.
Sadly I don’t think the OP-1 is capable of communicating with an iPad this way though.

Would have been a no brainer to create a marketplace where TE could sell new software synths/samplers/fx/sequencers that users could then port to their OP-1 or hosted on iPad that was linked to OP-1. This could have then been extended to allow users to sell/share/trade their presets etc.
Maybe even could have been made open source so that people could create their own instruments/fx etc.

But even doing something like file naming and auditioning would be amazing :slight_smile:

Well it’s not like the OP-1 doesn’t communicate with an iPad - it absolutely does. And, there are plenty of apps that are a good compliment to it… but none that are written specifically for it, and even if they stayed purely within generic MIDI/iPad specs in writing it, they could produce something that is more than just complimentary, but actually an extension. This is where I wish I had app coding skills. :frowning:

Yeah agreed. I’ve often thought/said about this kind of thing. Surprisingly few ‘hardware+ios’ purposely matched combos. I think Akai are the only people to really try it and their attempts sucked and the ipad/iPhone specs weren’t quite up to it back then either…
Seems like an obvious way now for companies to bring in some extra cash by making a sister-app that either extends the hardware’s current functionality etc or does something entirely different but using the same existing hardware in a new ‘onscreen button/knob for hardware button/knob way’. I have no coding experience tho so Im just guessing. Not sure what’s actually possible. Ideally TE/someone could use ios to convert the OP in to a kind of tethered Organelle. Probably outside the limitations of what’s able to be communicated via midi/lightning etc tho?

@Billjv it communicates with the ipad in terms of midi but i dont think it can jack into the system/engine side of things.

Check out what Roland are doing with the ARIA effects modules.

You buy a bitcrusher module for your eurorack, plug in your ipad/iphone/computer and then you can start adding more FX modules and patching in crazy ways. This is a genius hardware/software marriage.

Well, as far as I can tell, the OP-1 does generate and recognize MIDI CC events, so there’s a level of integration right there that could be easily exploited through an app. And opening other areas of communication with iOS devices (or Android too) could be done if the TE folks were willing to open up their dev toolkit with an app developer and make it happen. It’s not rocket science. It’s computer science! Haha!

TC Electronic pedals are another good example, with their toneprint editing apps.

I’ve seen a few VST-style synth editor apps created for specific hardware, though not often by the manufacturer. It would be cool to see something like this for the OP-1, allowing more control of the synth engines beyond the four knobs we’re given for parameters.

I believe it could definitely bridge the gap for some users who gave up on the OP-1 due to it’s constraints, which they feel made it too much of a sacrifice for professional use.

Presume you have seen the OPAL-MS that uses Liine’s Lemur to control the OP-1?
https://liine.net/en/community/user-library/view/348/

and the sequencer that someone else built too. Sure they annouced it on here (or previous version of forum).
https://liine.net/en/community/user-library/view/568/

I hadn’t seen those in particular, but I am aware that such templates can be created using apps such as Lemur. That’s not really what I’m getting at, tho. I’m talking about real integration with TE - branded and tested, using more than just CC commands. Something produced in conjunction with or by TE that capitalizes on their humor, style and playfulness in design. Rare and precious that would be… :slight_smile:

Well, as far as I can tell, the OP-1 does generate and recognize MIDI CC events, so there's a level of integration right there that could be easily exploited through an app. And opening other areas of communication with iOS devices (or Android too) could be done if the TE folks were willing to open up their dev toolkit with an app developer and make it happen. It's not rocket science. It's computer science! Haha!

Not only CCs, OP-1 definitely talks with Ableton Live via sysex messages when used as control surface. I know it because those python scripts for Live are open on github. Live sends track names, clip colors and other stuff to op-1, and there is a lot of gear that can communicate via sysex with large amount of data, so is’s not a hardware limitation.

I just read an article talking about the OP-Z and how it’s interface will be through iOS/apps. My guess is they will be working on that and not on an app for the OP-1.