Thoughts on Roland SP-404SX?

I've got one. Mostly just to be used for one shot trigger samples. Can run stuff through it for some nice effects. No complaints but it's sequencer is pretty basic and truncating samples is a chore! If you can get your hands on an MPC 1K off of ebay for a similar price, i'd definitely get one of those.

I love my MPC

I sorta like the sp truncate method. Nice to be able to punch in with the mark button while samples are playing then use knobs to finetune. But yeah, compared to visual truncate it can be ballache. Also agree the mpc 1000 with JJOS looks great. Been vaguely gassing for one for a while but kept seeing videos where loading and processing etc looked kind of slow. Looks like a great ‘production’ unit tho like you say, which isn’t really something I’d call the 404.

404 with a big memory card gives you somewhere to record your op tracks to that isn’t a computer plus the quality always sounds great . Goes really good with op

404 with a big memory card gives you somewhere to record your op tracks to that isn't a computer plus the quality always sounds great . Goes really good with op

I wonder if any of the Zoom field recorders have a USB file browser, acting as a temp backup for tape tracks.

My Zoom H4N has a file browser. So you could totally connect stereo line ins to H4N via stereo splitter from mini jack to record in.

My Zoom H4N has a file browser. So you could totally connect stereo line ins to H4N via stereo splitter from mini jack to record in.

No, I mean put OP-1 in disk mode, while connected to Zoom USB, and back up the OP’s 4 folders, via a file browser on the Zoom.

404’s are the bread and butter of the lofi hiphop world. they are also awesome with ableton as a lofi effects processor. that being said though, my op-1 is the goto lofi machine for me and paired up with my tape players/wacky loopers/BBD’s it is heaven…or church …or both…lol

I it's sequencer is pretty basic and truncating samples is a chore..
pretty easy methods. Just some working around to learn them. The machine is real quick so func-copy-paste and just mark in/out and then del/mark/del to truncate. Doesn't do the 16 pad Mpc thing but you can do that pretty easy with ur OP

404’s are the bread and butter of the lofi hiphop world. &nbsp

this! Plus there’s just a certain vibe to the machine and the aesthetic and the community is great! Sp-404 freaks and sp-404 heads on fb, lofi.hiphop, YouTube and soundcloud are full of sp beats… Lot of bands utilize them, phantogram, anco, grimes, etc

I gotta recommend it again haha

Damn this thread is making me really gas hard for a 404! I already have an OT, OP1 and Ableton… Is there such a thing as too many samplers?

I freax mine strictly OP.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMtS3bHf4bApCOvce0c7GWMMXIAtg86o4

Is there such a thing as too many samplers?

Nope

I had also to choose between those, but decided to go with the OP first, after a year long decision process. :smiley:

Now, I’m happy to say hello to you all. My new love will arrive within the next weeks. :slight_smile:

No, I mean put OP-1 in disk mode, while connected to Zoom USB, and back up the OP’s 4 folders, via a file browser on the Zoom.

Ah I see. My bad. Then no I don’t believe this is possible. It’s so annoying that there isn’t a really easy and usable way to file transfer from mobile devices. I mean sure my laptop is pretty small, but I prefer the idea of grabbing patches from my phone etc

^ i’m pretty sure you can use those wifi hotspot / thumb drive things to transfer between disk mode and your iOS device.

honestly if you have an OTG type phone you can do it w/ just an OTG cable….
Damn this thread is making me really gas hard for a 404!

Me too!

^ i'm pretty sure you can use those wifi hotspot / thumb drive things to transfer between disk mode and your iOS device.
Just to save a digression - search the forum for Kingston MobileLite G2 or RavPower.
I freax mine strictly OP.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMtS3bHf4bApCOvce0c7GWMMXIAtg86o4

ur tunes are dope as hell
Crazy good drums I’m dyin over here
Bout to lurk every one of ur posts for clues and hints