Travel friendly over ear headphone choices, affordable (under $200)

I use a pair of the ATH-M50X with my OP1. I’m not super particular about these things but they sound great to me and most importantly, I can wear them for hours without hurting my ears, unlike most headphones I’ve tried. Sometimes I’ll use iPhone earbuds if space is limited.

Anyone got any recommendations for decent quality earbuds? I can't stand the feeling of in-ears but need something small for travelling.

again, check out the bose range of in-ears, they dont squeeze into your ear canal like other in-ears, their bud parts just rest against the opening. the funny ‘wings’ hold the buds in place by sitting inside the shape of your ear. super comfy for hours and hours of wearing.

I should be on commission from Bose :wink:

I might give them a shot but it’s mainly the isolation that I don’t enjoy, and these seem to operate on the same principle although it looks like they might be a bit comfier. I like to retain a bit of awareness of my surroundings, and I hate that any jostling of the cable is transmitted as sound. A few years ago I remember some cheapish chinese earbuds being hyped as having really good sound but have forgotten the brand. Apple earpods have been doing me well but I keep losing them and don’t want to give Apple any more of my money, because I really hate what they’re doing with laptops atm.

edit: got em, they were Yuin PK3.

Edit: I ended up getting the sennheiser mx375 instead and have been using them constantly since. They’re very cheap and very good. Cable is a little thin but I wrapped it in electrical tape. Do give then a shot if you’re after earbuds.

The new akg k175 look pretty good (I love the akg design of headphones, super lightweight, very comfy)
But why 30 Ohms??
Does somebody use headphones with such a low impedance on the op-1? My other akg’s have over 60Ohm and they work great with it…

Even though they are consumer rather than studio qual, I use a pair of Skullcandy Aviators for travelling stuff. They’re small, super comfy, fold up into a little bag. They have really good output and OK isolation, so I use them a lot for recording vocals in the studio even though I have much better/more expensive options to chose from. I have the flashy gold/brown version. I’ve learnt them well enough now that they are often used as a 3rd or 4th mix reference point.

The new akg k175 look pretty good (I love the akg design of headphones, super lightweight, very comfy) But why 30 Ohms?? Does somebody use headphones with such a low impedance on the op-1? My other akg's have over 60Ohm and they work great with it...

Sony and Panasonic had some great Walkman-era headphones at 24Ω. Even 16Ω. Higher impedance drivers usually give a more even frequency response on a less-than-ideal amp, but to drive em requires a more powerful amp, and that requires more battery juice, more battery is worse for travel. On a great amp with low output impedance, low impedance headphones are just fine. More info. Edit: worth mentioning many headphones have a fairly flat frequency-to-impedance character - check yours here.

I love AKG headphones and use K240 MKII semi open for mixing and K271 MKII closed back for tracking in my home studio. I wish the over ear AKG were more travel friendly though. :frowning:

I love AKG headphones and use K240 MKII semi open for mixing and K271 MKII closed back for tracking in my home studio. I wish the over ear AKG were more travel friendly though. :(

I have the K240, too! I love them!! Can’t wait to try the k175, they are on ear but the foam material looks very comfy…