Two x OPs?!?!

I know Steezo has like 5 OP1s or something!

But I just wondered if anyone rocks 2 successfully?

My question being 2 fold…

A) I’m dreating the day my OP1 dies. It really has changed my musical life and I was really close to packing music up until I discovered this workflow. I love it.

B) I’m an elektron user and LOVE the Octatrack in particular. However I do sometimes look at my gear and think “I only really need my OP1!” It really is that good I honestly think I could sell everything and just keep this alone.

As I get older I’m becoming a big fan of portable gear. Just the OP1 with a selection of small devices…microgranny, Volca FM, boss delay pedal etc. It does cross my mind now and then to sell my Elektron gear for like £1500 and invest in another OP1.

I’ve been thinking about getting another op-1 too. To be honest I couldn’t say I really need it, but it would be such a good feeling. And, 8 track… yummy. Damn I have to buy one more. Cheers

I use two I love it

Yeah man…i can sit at my Elektrons for hours and mess about. Get really deep, do incredible stuff but not really get any track down 9 times out of 10. I don’t think I could let my octatrack go…

HOWEVER I can lie on the sofa with my OP1 have lots of fun and get a usable finished track down pretty much every time I use it.

I shouldve changed the title of the thread…I guess what I really should say is…I think the OP1 is all I really need! It doesn’t feel right because I’m used to thinking more gear is better but I’m in love with this thing. People talk about limitations but I don’t think it’s limited at all. Sure 4 tracks…but you can import your shit into a DAW

I use two I love it

How do you use them mate? Whats your workflow?

I’m also curious about your workflow @uuniverse - do you use one more than the other for certain tasks?

I’ve also been considering a second OP-1 for a while. The main thing that keeps me from pulling the trigger is that the iPhone (or iPad occasionally) satisfy my effects processing and multi-tracking desire. Especially when I can get a wider variety of effects and more than just 4 more mono tracks (8 stereo tracks MultiTrackDAW). The OP-1 also plays nice with USB MIDI so I can use it as a controller and effectively add multiple synths and samplers to my workflow and stay portable.

Those factors and the allure of the Digitakt (it really gets my gearlust going) are more than enough to distract me away from a second OP-1 most days…the TE fun factor keeps me on the fence though. I just love making quick jams on the OP-1.

I briefly had 2 Op-1s.

I didn’t use one or the other for specific duties, just enjoyed having double of everything.

They looked beautiful together, but eventually i ended selling both & bought 2 Korg Wavedrums.

I no longer have the Wavedrums. I now have an MPC Live & a new Op-1, that i received today. I reckon it won’t be too long before i’ll want a 2nd Op-1 again.

That said, i now want 2 of those new Moog DFAM’s

Don’t get me wrong this isn’t gear lust or GAS at all. Im more than happy with my OT and OP1. It’s just I work away during the week and go home weekends. More often than not I only take my OP1 home with me and I find its all I need. Despite the OTs amazing sequencer I can do all I ever want just with the OP1 alone. I think it’s definitely to do with being ‘limited’ and as a result knowing the instrument inside out rather than always feeling like you’re missing out on something important. I dunno I probably won’t sell anything but it keeps crossing my mind!

When I sit around and play, I will usually have two op’s on one small table, and on another table an organelle, an sp-303 and an sp-404

I generally will go op > op > org > 303 > 404
If I’m using organelle as a synth I will go organelle > op > op > 303 > 404

I usually will keep my drums on the first op so I can overdrive it and put like filter on the kit and punch on the master. Synths/piano/arps whatever I do on the second op. Organelle is littered with cool fx and samplers, and I’ll keep the 303 on reverb or vinyl filter and I’ll use the 404 to gather pieces together and finish stuff up

I’ve never been more productive since I bought my OP1 a year ago. I think I’ve finished at least 5x the amount of songs than I did with all my other gear (Circuit, Maschine, Ableton, bunch of synths, etc etc).

I often tell people if my house burnt down (!) the first thing I would re-buy is the OP1.
When I sit around and play, I will usually have two op's on one small table, and on another table an organelle, an sp-303 and an sp-404

I generally will go op > op > org > 303 > 404
If I’m using organelle as a synth I will go organelle > op > op > 303 > 404

I usually will keep my drums on the first op so I can overdrive it and put like filter on the kit and punch on the master. Synths/piano/arps whatever I do on the second op. Organelle is littered with cool fx and samplers, and I’ll keep the 303 on reverb or vinyl filter and I’ll use the 404 to gather pieces together and finish stuff up

You seem to have the same idea as me mate. I was thinking of keeping my Heat and running 1x OP1 for drums through it. And having a second OP1 for melodic material.

What is sync like between the two mate? How do you sync? Does the PO sync work?

I've never been more productive since I bought my OP1 a year ago. I think I've finished at least 5x the amount of songs than I did with all my other gear (Circuit, Maschine, Ableton, bunch of synths, etc etc).

I often tell people if my house burnt down (!) the first thing I would re-buy is the OP1.

Wothout a doubt the first thing I’d buy again. Can’t believe I’m considering selling my octatrack as I’m a OT fan boy. But it’s just not getting the use it deserves

@lescour1 that’s interesting, I keep going to buy an OT for live use… It would be my first Elektron box - the MK 1’s have really dropped in price since the Mk 2 came out

@lescour1 that's interesting, I keep going to buy an OT for live use... It would be my first Elektron box - the MK 1's have really dropped in price since the Mk 2 came out

OT is a fantastic bit of gear mate and I’ve invested alot of time learning it so il probably keep it. But I certainly have more fun making music on the OP1.

More of a science project on OT, although the results can be deeper obviously

I would love a second OP1… and could have one because my Mpc Live went back with a fault and I can swap it for a second OP1.

Is it really that useful having two?
The biggest issue I see straight away is sync.

I briefly had 2 Op-1s.

I didn't use one or the other for specific duties, just enjoyed having double of everything.

They looked beautiful together, but eventually i ended selling both & bought 2 Korg Wavedrums.

I no longer have the Wavedrums. I now have an MPC Live & a new Op-1, that i received today. I reckon it won't be too long before i'll want a 2nd Op-1 again.

That said, i now want 2 of those new Moog DFAM's

How’s the Mpc Live going? I had to return mine because of a fault. Are you enjoying it with the OP1?

One thing I’ve always wondered - how well do 2 OP-1s sync together? Can you just plug one into the other?

I have always wanted to use the sequencer for both drums and synth at the same time :slight_smile:

I would love a second OP1... and could have one because my Mpc Live went back with a fault and I can swap it for a second OP1.

Is it really that useful having two?
The biggest issue I see straight away is sync.

People get too hung up on ‘sync’ with gear. How do a drummer and bass player sync together?

Lescour, exactly!!! I don’t sync any of my gear. Sometimes the OP will sync the organelle but yeah, I’m not trying to make syncey housey music sequenced music , a little life never hurt

Lescour, exactly!!! I don't sync any of my gear. Sometimes the OP will sync the organelle but yeah, I'm not trying to make syncey housey music sequenced music , a little life never hurt

Yes mate exactly

How's the Mpc Live going? I had to return mine because of a fault. Are you enjoying it with the OP1?

Because i’m a full time Dad i don’t get to use it often, so i haven’t really plumbed the depths of it. But from the limited time i’ve had with it i really enjoy using it. I love the form factor & unlike a lot of people i enjoy using the touch screen. & Whilst i never want to use a Computer DAW, i’m more than happy to have this little DAW type standalone workstation. I think it sounds great & i’m incredibly excited about the MPC/OP-1 combo.