Venting 101

So I’ve been playing with ableton push 2 and damn… for me it’s almost an op1 killer. TE, fix the god damn clicks on the op1 and I’ll be a happy camper ( still happens). I’m using the op1 less and less and its depressing.

Clicks? Have you completely deleted the tape folder? I’ve heard only wiping/erasing can result in “digital deterioration” but users reported a fresh folder to fix some artifact issues.

Double post

There are tricks to get around the pops and clicks

I guess everyones working styles will have different amount of clicks.

Its not the smoothest audio editor looper to be fare.

Push2 and OP1 are not really in the same category :slight_smile:
Push is very powerful but it’s a controller and is not as portable as the OP1.
Both are great but they are so differents !
The pops and clicks are annoying, I agree, but as @grumpysnorlax said, there is many tricks to avoid them.
I’ve got to try the folder deletion mentioned by @Derne_Hahl, seems cool if it works great ! Deletion should be made each time we want to wipe the tape ?

I wanna try so much the Push 2, specially after getting Live 10. However, I’m fearful of getting it and Ableton announcing a Push 3 the next day :stuck_out_tongue:

Said that, personally I dont like this kind of comparison" “______ is a killer of ______”. Usually, different gears, different workflows and even different user styles.

It’s impossible to compare the OP-1 with Ableton 8/9/10 + Push 2.

yep, push 3 should be out November 2018

Go in the wood and record a track.

:slight_smile:

yep, push 3 should be out November 2018

Really?

Is this the old #rumourmill or for realises?

@aeoner I think push 2 is nearly perfect, it won’t be obsolete :). Maybe push 3 will be a standalone push ? This should be awesome but not sure they plan to do this.

Anyway I understand your fear, I got Live 9 and they released live 10 6months later… but I like it anyway, I’m waiting before upgrading to 10.

@quarantequatre I think that not exactly stand alone, but I hope that it comes with a audio interface like the new Maschine, making it even more portable for sampling duties :smiley:

But yes - the Push 2 is just too expensive for this risk. Hope that the new one will be released before my holidays! :slight_smile:

Push is never going to be standalone. It would need to run the Live software and the spec of the hardware (PC) inside would have to be adequate to satisfy the most demanding of users - anything less and it would be a waste.
You’d be wanting it to be futureproof so you’re talking needing to be running something like 32gb RAM with a 1tb SSD and i7 processor. That setup alone would have a starting price of well over £1k and thats before you even add the software cost and controller cost.

Like someone said earlier, Push2 is nearly perfect and it seems like it’s pretty futureproof in itself as it’s seen improvements from Live 9 to 10.

Do think there must be a 3 in the pipeline but wonder what it’ll bring/
Might be smaller, bigger screens, maybe we will see the timeline/clips onscreen.
More control knobs would be nice for assigning for performance.
Maybe it’ll be a smaller lighter version?
Push mini? :stuck_out_tongue:

An inbuilt audio interface is a must for me if/when there is another iteration. Really like the direction Maschine has gone. Controller, laptop, done.

Less wires is great, less boxes is better. Direct plug in of sampling source. Just my 2c.

@spacetravelmadeeasy said:
Push is never going to be standalone. It would need to run the Live software and the spec of the hardware (PC) inside would have to be adequate to satisfy the most demanding of users - anything less and it would be a waste.
You’d be wanting it to be futureproof so you’re talking needing to be running something like 32gb RAM with a 1tb SSD and i7 processor. That setup alone would have a starting price of well over £1k and thats before you even add the software cost and controller cost.

Like someone said earlier, Push2 is nearly perfect and it seems like it’s pretty futureproof in itself as it’s seen improvements from Live 9 to 10.

Might be smaller, bigger screens, maybe we will see the timeline/clips onscreen.

I see at least a version with an audio interface. 2 in, 4 out. Give you a headphone cue and balanced master outs. As @hindsite points out, controller, laptop, out the door!

you guys might want to check out the synthstrom deluge, then you don’t even need the laptop.

@spacetravelmadeeasy said:

Hmm, I´m not so sure that Push will never going to be standalone (although I do agree that this probably will not happen in an imminent Push 3), and I disagree with the idead that a standalone Push would have to be adequate to satisfy the most demanding of users.

Although it is a very reasonable perspective, other developers are doing quite the opposite - and even Ableton is absolutely ok in selling stripped down versions of Live.

For example, the Akai MPC Live is a fantastic standalone product which restricts the number of tracks to manage the unit processing/memory capabilities. I never installed the MPC 2.0 daw and I´m not planning to do :slight_smile:

I agree that 8 tracks can´t be enough for everyone, but as a “limited” (limited as flagship products as the Octatrack!) system and/or an advanced sketchpad, it´s perfect.

A similar logic could be applied to an standalone Push - and based on the fact that Ableton Live is the standard now in music industry (to self sustentable “underground” scenes to massive EDM acts and even hip hop), maybe it could be even possible to push (no pun intended) the price boundary a little bit higher to offer more memory and processing power. I really belive that it is just a matter of time to have Ableton in more different and portable formats, and the Moore Law + continuous downsizing/cheaper memories makes even more possible to have Ableton in a standalone unit.

Said that, I wound love to have a smaller version of Push too, like a little more “domestic” Ableton companion.

yea I think at some point push might become a hybrid standalone machine. They can implement some dsp into the push and have minimal devices/tracks available, cv/trig outputs and then when you connect to the computer you can refine the stuff you have created. Also my macbook pro is smaller than the push and sometimes I kinda see my computer as an external ‘processor’ for push and while computers get more compact and powerful there could be a point where they can make a mobile app version of ableton just for processing and it will make push even more portable. It all sounds similar to opz and how it connects to the phone etc.