Weird OP-Z Bugs - Corrupt Sample Kits and the Headphone Jack

Hi,

Ran into this yesterday and wanted to pass it along in case anyone else experienced it.

I am on the most recent firmware.

This bug occurred after loading a new drum kit into every available slot on the OP-Z. All drum kits were either created via:

• op1.fun patch creator
  • op-1 drum utility

Upon unmounting the OP-Z from the computer the device reset as expected. When I went to browse the new kits, I would get silence from a ton of them. I would then try the factory kits. Some of them would work and some of them would also be silent. Sometimes (I went through a number of factory resets during this process) a factory kit would work until I selected and attempted to play a custom loaded kit, after which none of the factory kits would work.

In addition to this, once the problem with the silent kits had presented itself, the headphone jack would no longer recognize an input (something plugged into it) and would never switch over from the internal speaker over to headphones.

A factory reset would make things normal again.

In the end, I went through and painstakingly loaded only one drum kit at a time until I figured out which one was causing the corruption (buffer overflow, whatever). The OP-Z has since worked (knock on wood) as expected.

There is one alternative possible explanation, and this would be behavior carried over from the OP-1, but without a screen, it’s impossible to get error messages. The other explanation is an error caused by a bad pointer in the OP-Z to a sample that it thinks is there but isn’t because it was deleted but the trash on your computer was not emptied yet.

1 Like

I have found with some op-1 samples that the adsr is all the way down making the sample sound silent. You should try pulling your system logs and sending them to TE. I had a few crashes with the last firmware and sent them my logs. It has been rock solid since the latest firmware has come out.

@kingof9x said:
I have found with some op-1 samples that the adsr is all the way down making the sample sound silent. You should try pulling your system logs and sending them to TE. I had a few crashes with the last firmware and sent them my logs. It has been rock solid since the latest firmware has come out.

Great idea on the logs, I’ll check that out.

This wasn’t an issue of sounds being silent because of settings. This crept into every other kit once the corrupted kit was loaded.

@jjbbllkk and I talked about this before, just to document for other users: I’ve had the same issue as well. In my case I’m pretty sure it wasn’t because of corrupt samples. It happened after importing a lot of samples (wiped all factory content and started from scratch).
Started with samples not playing (not an ADSR thing, I checked), then also the headphone problem. I checked the logs, there was nothing suspicious. Everything was listed as imported without any issues.
Then did a factory reset, then deleted 2 or 3 random samples and tried again, then it worked. The chances that I deleted one bad sample are very slim. I think it’s an issue with importing many samples in one go.

Scratch that. I had backups of both, corrupt and working samples and just checked them. One drum sample that I deleted was 35 secs long so obviously not ok for the OP-Z. That’s probably what caused the problem. Still really bad that it fails this way and the logs don’t say anything.