What is your OP-Z battery usage?

@Sully500 said:

@boe_dye said:
SO I too am experiencing less than 24 hours worth of battery life. I think maybe I got about 6 hours of time +/- sitting while I moved around and did some things. I hope nothing is wrong, and I hope it’s like the OP-1 where the battery can be recalibrated.

Nothing is wrong, that’s how long the battery is supposed to last, most likely that’s how long it was always supposed to last. They simply lied to add a phony selling point…

I know I’m being a whiner right now, I realize that. And maybe I’m viewing all this from the wrong angle…

It just feels like we’ve all been duped to me, and I hate when these big faceless companies get away with this stuff…

I mean, being advertised heavily is a bit of a wrong… but whatevs…

I did / am doing the whole “Leave it on till it dies, and then recharge it until it’s full” procedure, and so we shall see how it does once it’s done. I remember my OP-1 had a battery hiccup where it just died within a few hours, and once I did the recalibration, it went back to a proper 6 / 8 hours. I’d be satisfied with at least one JFK to Stockholm flight!

@Sully500 said:
I know I’m being a whiner right now, I realize that. And maybe I’m viewing all this from the wrong angle…

Battery half flat vs battery half full I guess :wink:

:smiley:

Anyway, TE could just make a large battery to be inserted in both the module slot and battery tray… and voilà - there is your solution for those moments when you really need 24h of battery life :slight_smile:

@Tanzaff That may not be possible at all, since battery power may need to go through voltage regulation circuits that are not wired to the module pins…

Edit: Ok, I think you mean a two-part interconnected battery… even if there is space for that, it does not seem a viable solution because it would require flat cables for that interconnect, which are very fragile. Also, doing that would be like a confirmation that you did a bad design in the first place…

TE, or someone else could make a superbattery module that completely replaces the bottom case and powers the op-1 and z for 4 trips across the pacific, on a boat!

Or you could just plug in any cheap USB battery…

Hi Everybody! Glad to be with ye holding the tiny beast of a Z.
Does everyone use computer usb for charging?
I’ve been using an iphone charging block, hasn’t reached 100%
Can I safely use an iPad charging block? or is that too much juice for the lil z?
thanks fresh people!

I’ve charged mine off of a Nintendo Switch dock with no trouble so far. I think the manual says any usb c will do.

I’m not sure I can get 6 hours battery live in standalone mode, a bit less seems to be more realistic. What’s interesting is that the battery loses power much quicker when paired with iPad through BLE.

Getting 3-5 hours on mine w/ latest firmware. My nintendo switch seems to last longer and that thing is rendering Zelda for $200 less. Left the op-z running last night when I fell asleep and woke up to a dead device, there isn’t software to turn the device off/idle it when not being used instead of just running to zero? Also on a tangent the volume knob direction feels counterintuitive every time I use it lol.

This is a hard turn from what the Op-1 offers and what I expected from the Op-Z. I’d take a larger device with a better battery any and every day. We never needed it to fit in our pocket, that’s why you guys made pocket operators?

@Evan said:
Getting 3-5 hours on mine w/ latest firmware. My nintendo switch seems to last longer and that thing is rendering Zelda for $200 less. Left the op-z running last night when I fell asleep and woke up to a dead device, there isn’t software to turn the device off/idle it when not being used instead of just running to zero? Also on a tangent the volume knob direction feels counter-intuitive every time I use it lol.

This is a hard turn from what the Op-1 offers and what I expected from the Op-Z. I’d take a larger device with a better battery any and every day. We never needed it to fit in our pocket, that’s why you guys made pocket operators?

@Evan said:
Getting 3-5 hours on mine w/ latest firmware. My nintendo switch seems to last longer and that thing is rendering Zelda for $200 less. Left the op-z running last night when I fell asleep and woke up to a dead device, there isn’t software to turn the device off/idle it when not being used instead of just running to zero? Also on a tangent the volume knob direction feels counter-intuitive every time I use it lol.

Im sure TE will flog a bigger batt (E40?) soon enough. That Atlantic-thang only makes me think they swapped it for a cheaper/shorter life one (hence wanting to know info from the beta testers;pre-release model). Ive not upgraded yet due to reading bug reports.

I adore that pretentious volume switch! You pull it towards yourself to turn it on, and when you have finished you turn itaway. Perfect. Not intuitive, true, but genuine.

Get Sparks on through Analog Heat for some real Metal Machine Music frenzy!

I am getting a 3-4 of use from full charge & I would agree that iPad pairing seemed to drain it quicker.

How much of a hindrance are you folks finding the (less than advertised) battery life?

This has put me on the fence, as my favorite thing about the OP-1 was the long battery life and I expected OP-Z to be at least as long.

But then I think that I have a 2016 MBP with different USB-C 60w and 87w chargers in a few rooms, plus a 45w USB-C battery pack. My next phone will probably be USB-C as well. So, perhaps the USB-C ubiquity will make it a non issue?

Also, I can’t seem to find this information anywhere, what is the max wattage draw that the OP-Z utilizes for charging? And under that maximum wattage, how long does a full charge take to complete?
Thanks! (love that this forum is Discourse, now too! Hi @LyingDalai !)

2 Likes

6 hours sounds good to me.

luckily the opz has a removable battery? in time I assume they will be very cheap and I would happily carry around an extra (in a good container)

True, but you have to unscrew the feet, remove the bottom case… at that point I would rather just bring along a small 10,000 mAh USB battery pack.

The op-z has a removable battery like your PC has a removable CPU, or like your house has removable doors. As @AdamJay suggested, an external battery pack would make more sense. Or not designing things to be so small that we need external batteries would make the most sense.

I wouldn’t go that far.

with the plethora of cables and whatnot that im sure will be come inseperable from my opz a small slim battery seems a smart addition. Maybe im showing my age with nostalgia for killing whole packs of batteries in my gameboy. prolly just a matter of preference though.

My desktop right in front of me has two screws to remove the panel. then a latch lifts the fan off and the cpu is held in with a lever. ehh I dont really consider either difficult… unless you dont clean your fans bleh. should prolly clean excess paste with isopropyl ehhh changing battery sounds way easier.

I recently read same pinout cpus should be hotswappable. should def unplug 24 pin and cpu power connector before doing that though. built some bottom of the barrel am4s recently… although they seem good.
anyhoo
6 hours is plenty>?

also maybe there will be many modules? i.e. hot swappable?

The Op-z requires loosening 4 “screws” to open – just like my CPU. I should have elaborated for people who don’t build PCs, but generally it’s about a ~2-5 minute process to swap or install a CPU. Bit of a tangent but wanted to be clear.