Which field recorder?

Hi guys I would like to do some field recordings outside in nature and also city sounds.

Anyone have any recommendations?
Budget is pretty low…looking at the Tascam DR-O5 ($100)
Anyone using that?

Thanks alot
Remy Gold aka GLDN1

I went with the zoom H1 about a month or so ago… It’s been great so far. Whatever you go with, get a wind filter.

I went with the zoom H1 about a month or so ago... It's been great so far. Whatever you go with, get a wind filter.

Cool thanks will look into that one…defs get a deadcat!!

I’ve heard good things about the dr-05 too.

Unless you have specific features you need, either of these should be excellent.

I own zoom h1 too, have plans to swap it with h2n once i come across a decent secondhand lot as i want to have 4 tracks.

i’m pretty happy with h1 overall, however i’ve recently discovered that zoom got it updated - the new one is called h1n and, among other cool new features, it has build in limiter and can overdub. i’d probably recommend to go with h1n if you find a deal that fits the budget
I own zoom h1 too, have plans to swap it with h2n once i come across a decent secondhand lot as i want to have 4 tracks.

i'm pretty happy with h1 overall, however i've recently discovered that zoom got it updated - the new one is called h1n and, among other cool new features, it has build in limiter and can overdub. i'd probably recommend to go with h1n if you find a deal that fits the budget

Cool thanks for that…seems zoom is more popular

I’ve got DR-05 and I am happy with it. Especially if you pair it with a good external microphone.

I've got DR-05 and I am happy with it. Especially if you pair it with a good external microphone.

Ah ok so the microphone is not good enough?

Ive owned the dr-40 (which was killed in action by exposure to water :frowning: and I currently own the dr-100 mk i. Both have excellent internal mics and are easy pz to operate. Ive no experience with the dr-05 but I would not hesitate to recommend Tascam gear to anyone! Hope this helps!

Ive owned the dr-40 (which was killed in action by exposure to water :( and I currently own the dr-100 mk i. Both have excellent internal mics and are easy pz to operate. Ive no experience with the dr-05 but I would not hesitate to recommend Tascam gear to anyone! Hope this helps!

Cool thanks for the feedback…saw a zoom h5 on sale so might consider a bit above the budget but looks good and might also use it for other applications than just sampling

I love the H1 for its Simplicity and tiny size

Just a side note.

If anyone’s looking for relatively cheap but very quiet mics/small mics, take a look/listen to these.
https://lom-label.myshopify.com/collections/microphones-accessories

Although currently sold out.

Click on the photos and you’ll be able to hear some examples.

Another thumbs up for the tascam dr4.
Built in mics do a good job. It’s a little bigger than the other rascal recorders.

Just a side note.

If anyone’s looking for relatively cheap but very quiet mics/small mics, take a look/listen to these.
https://lom-label.myshopify.com/collections/microphones-accessories

Although currently sold out.

Click on the photos and you’ll be able to hear some examples.

These need phantom power, right? Would they work W/ the op1 input?

Yes they need phantom power. I haven’t tried plugging them into my Op-1, as I assumed they wouldn’t work. But i’ll give it a go tomorrow.

I have owned DR-05 for several years and I am very happy with it, especially now that Tascam added overdub feature in a software update. I used it as a field recorder, a line-in studio recorder and just bought a kit to use it as a camera mic. It has a solid build, simple interface, useful/relevant features and good sound quality.

Note that DR-05 has overdubbing, phantom power and multiple methods of peak control, which can come in handy if you want to also use it for studio/line-in recording. It has some other cool features too. If you care, I’d check out the manual. Oh, and it has a back-lit screen. So if I had to chose again, I would definitely buy it over Zoom H1.

That new Zoom H1N does seem like a solid competitor to DR-05, though. Most of the same features. More direct controls over menus. I wonder whether they fixed the USB issues. H1 worked as a USB mic, but the quality there was crap. (DR-05 does not work as a USB mic at all.)

Thanks alot guys for all your advice…I appreciate it!!