Which volca? Or an SP404...

Thanks guys. Would love to hear about any solutions to the vinyl sim problems that millbastard is having.

might be totally off, but do you have effect limit on by chance? should be plenty thump and loud.

@millbastard

also on the SX u can get the vinyl sim sound by resampling the compression and vinyl sim fx together.

might be totally off, but do you have effect limit on by chance? should be plenty thump and loud.

@millbastard

Hey man, not quite sure what you mean? I’ve assigned a pad, made sure effect is switched on, twiddled the knobbies. Can definitely hear it working, but just isn’t the smashing, thumpy compression I thought it was gonna be. Def volume drop.

hmmm a quick run thru of the 505 manual suggests that it may not have the global effect limit setting that some of the other SP’s have?

basically if you turn effect limit on, it limits the range of some of the params on the effects and even changes some of the functions. which might explain the weak compression? but i guess not if the 505 doesn’t have an effect limit setting somewhere…

def doesn’t always sound good on every sample. but its also far from rocket science. a sample with a healthy volume (not too low or too loud) should work.

have u tried applying it to more than one pad and having a jam w/ it?
also, have u tried just the plain compressor fx?

i’ve got a 303 (same fx as 505) that i can run something thru if you wanna send me a sample or some shit for comparison. volume drop and weak compression don’t sound right at all.

Ooh, I would love to hear the results of a shoot out. grabs popcorn

@docshermsticks sure! let’s do it.

I’ve just recorded a really quick little loop on the OP1 through the SP, with the rec level set to the “recommended” level, which is about three quarters the way up the input meter. P.s. I think I may have actually been setting the rec level too high before, as I got wayyyyy better results this time. Whenever I turned up the rec volume, sure enough the fx would have a volume drop. So, looks like mainly user error (n00b).

Anyway here’s the loop (excuse the out of time final bar lol) with a few different passes of vinyl sim.
It goes: clean > Vinyl sim on (all settings 12 oclock) > comp turned up to 3 oclock > all controls to 3 oclock > clean again

https://soundcloud.com/mlbstrd/vinyl-sim-drums-2

Feel free to run the clean loop thru the SP303 to see if you get different results?

Nice. Followed on SoundCloud

Iirc on the og there was a warble setting as well, that would add a slight lfo on the pitch…
Isn’t there such setting on the SX?

Damn, this conversation makes me wish I had a SP404 again !!
:smiley:

cool gimme a couple days or something i’ll follow what u did on the 303.

@lyingdalai yes wow&flutter is still there, but on the SX w/o the compression knob the vinyl sim fx sounds way different.
they replaced the compression knob w/ like a filter of sorts.

like i said u can get there on the SX by resampling the separate compression fx and the vinyl sim together.
which actually gives u a lil more control over the compression. makeup gain and attack or release.

the compression is really key to the warble effect imho

Looking forward to the results. It’s like an episode of survivor or something. Such cliffhanger. The main difference being that this is a show I would watch.

Just an update on this, I just received my 32 mb memory card and it is heeeeeeaps faster than the bigger 128 one. I would say 4x the speed. Which makes sense as it’s 1/4 the size of the other.

makes this sampler useful to my ADHD brain!

Thanks for letting us know. Definitely crucial to know if I get one.

Thanks for letting us know. Definitely crucial to know if I get one.

yeah dude, will let you know how I get on with it