White dots endless sequencer

Just wondered what people’s thoughts were on the white dots that create different rhythms on the endless sequencer. They seem like a great idea but I find the way they are placed a little random - so the rhythms they create aren’t that useful, also they make recorded sequences hard to loop. I’d love to hear If anyone has any tips or tricks, or interesting ways of using them.

i agree that they are not the most intuitive rhythms; however, i had my OP-1 for over 3 years before i discovered/realized that Shift+white knob “rotates” the dots/rhythms!

Most useful to me in adding variations to percussion or drum sounds, saves time when trying to peck out “interesting” rhythms. Also, they seem more useful when “multiplied”, that is if i want an interesting groove that’s 1/8 notes, changing Blue knob to 1/16 or 1/16T can be fun…

Best,
psound74

2 Likes

i use “random/step-component” for ambient noice. for example, i have one track rain sounds (activated at random) other track thunder and wind samples (activated at random) and than an other sample track with random bird sounds and cracking trees (activated at random).
…long sequence.
than if you play it, you will have a forest simulator.

1 Like

I didn’t know about the shift / white rotator trick! That’s really helpful, I don’t use a lot of drums in my tracks, so my interest is using it more with the synth engines.

2 Likes

the endless sequencer with the dots is brilliant for making basslines and chord progressions. The trick is to not enter any spaces. Let the dots make the spaces.

choose a pentatonic scale, say A minor. Enter A,A,A,C,C,D,E. (without any spaces). Set the direction to random. Now twist white and shift + twist to change the order of the dots till you like the pattern. or play the notes in the order you want, without spaces. set direction to forward.

Also works great for chords. Do the same as for the baselines, except enter chords instead of single notes.

if you want it to loop back around, just sure make there are 2, 4, 8 16 or 32 notes in total (both solid and transparent).

10 Likes

Ooh that’s a great idea, nice!

this shifted my timeline. lol.
thank you psound74 you angel.

1 Like

From what I understand, the white dots are the hidden Euclidean options - use them and Endless becomes your Euclidean sequencer

1 Like

They are great but they tend to make weird time signatures - ie I find sequences I make using the dot patterns will often loop on 5 bars - or 9 bars, or something strange, even with shift pressed. Maybe I should just embrace it. I don’t know if there is a way round it so they always loop on 4, 8, 12, or 16 bars?

I have found this as well.
Wondering if there is something we are doing our not doing to avoid this.
Hope someone here can provide some insight