Who else is on the fence? (OP-Z)

I was looking at DMX-capable lighting stuff last night. I don’t know if this USB to DMX adapter would work with the OP-Z, but it’s only 66 euros: https://www.thomann.de/gb/enttec_open_dmx_usb_interface.htm. Then add a DMX capable LED bar for another 60 euros or so, or a cheap DMX LED spot, and you’re in the lighting sequencing business. =)

Then again, if you can solder, for $40 you can build one of these and just use any MIDI sequencer for DMX lighting: https://www.instructables.com/id/MIDI2DMX/.

Same thing goes for the Unity sequencing stuff. Based on the discussion at the lines forum, the Videolab package just receives MIDI.

So it all comes down to the sequencer. I guess I need to go and try it out when the local store gets them…

@vehka said:
I was looking at DMX-capable lighting stuff last night. I don’t know if this USB to DMX adapter would work with the OP-Z, but it’s only 66 euros: https://www.thomann.de/gb/enttec_open_dmx_usb_interface.htm. Then add a DMX capable LED bar for another 60 euros or so, or a cheap DMX LED spot, and you’re in the lighting sequencing business. =)

Then again, if you can solder, for $40 you can build one of these and just use any MIDI sequencer for DMX lighting: https://www.instructables.com/id/MIDI2DMX/.

Same thing goes for the Unity sequencing stuff. Based on the discussion at the lines forum, the Videolab package just receives MIDI.

So it all comes down to the sequencer. I guess I need to go and try it out when the local store gets them…

Oh, nice! I’m looking at starting gear myself, preferably something fairly simple and multi-colored that doesn’t break the bank. Was thinking I might be able to find a setup for a good price come black friday. Maybe we should get a dedicated thread going?

Yes :slight_smile: just yes to everyone.

imo you have to have an ipad(and ofcourse its gotta be the new 10in pro.) And gotta have that overpriced leather case. That puts the Opz at closer to $1500. With features announced and then relegated to being in the future modules for purchase Which will more then likely be $200+ the opz is looking hella expensive. Ofcourse I want one. I love TE’s charm. something about IOS integration made this suddenly seem like a luxury product. Ofcourse I guess the Op1 is too… I dunno I get the feeling that if the whole IOS part didnt happen I would already own an Opz. And comically I prolly buy an ipad before the OPZ which will only put me off to the OPz more as the Ipad is a great music device. I understand Android doesnt have audio stuff figured out but if they could just make the visuals work on android I will buy the opz. as it stand its just insanely expensive for what feels like less then the op1 which is expensive. Like most in this thread are lamenting, I will prolly eventually get an opz. But god damn TE wtf.

@pink sky great read. alot i did not know about opz! 5 hour battery life is low but the fact that its easily replaceable is amazing. possibly you could carry around multiple batteries like some of us do for phones with removable batteries.

I agree with 100% of what you have said. and No you dont sound like a shill. I think most of us who Like TE’s products are pretty enamored with them. Given that sentiment you were still very direct with your opinions of the OPz I really appreciate it! great glimpse into a device that for most is still mysterious.

I kinda fear the modules are gonna pidgeon hole peoples use case. Like I have the cv module in but O shit I cant sample without the sampling module. Sure you could swap and Im sure some will own every module but kinda lame. The oplab seems like it was a failure>? why go that route again. I could be wrong though

@masterofstuff124 said:
I kinda fear the modules are gonna pidgeon hole peoples use case. Like I have the cv module in but O shit I cant sample without the sampling module. Sure you could swap and Im sure some will own every module but kinda lame. The oplab seems like it was a failure>? why go that route again. I could be wrong though

Yeah that’s one of my main curiosities/potential disappointments. Having to switch modules between a cv/gate module and sampler module just seems like such a wasted opportunity. Besides the fact that it’s kinda tedious/interruptive to have to switch modules, it means you couldn’t for example sequence your modular and sample it in to the opz at the same time :frowning:

Line-in built in to the unit’s design would have been a no-brainer for me in terms of making the op-z super functional/hassle free. I guess maybe that would have eaten in to op-1 territory… but a line-in module would do that in any case… So maybe there won’t be a line-in module? God knows atm…

Honestly I agree with a lot that’s being said here, although I think from a design perspective the OP-Z, like the OP-1 isn’t meant to replace your gear, and if that’s the reason you’re buying it, I still don’t think you’ll be disappointed, but you may find that you’ve spent money on a niche product that you didn’t need. Although. It’s not going to replace your Sqarp or your beat step pro. What it will do on the other hand is put amazing, quirky and powerful music making potential in a very inspiring small package. All of the complaints, concerns and predictions are valid, but they don’t bother me at all. Keep in mind that this is through the lens of someone who came late to the OP-1 party (even though wanted one from it’s early concept days just never pulled the trigger mostly because of the waiting list) and spends a lot of time away from home for work work. I’m a realist, and know that one device will never be the be-all-end-all-do-it-all device we want it to be, but that said, I know TE will update for years to come, and whether or not it’s in the precise direction I’d like them to, I know I’m going to enjoy what ever it is because I have 0 expectations, and just like mucking around with music and sound where ever I find myself and this affords me just that. When at home I do sync it up to a bunch of other gear, and agreed, there are many connectivity caveats that I look forward to seeing resolved. Honestly though, I’m not kissing TE ass, but anyone I know who’s sold there OP-1 felt nothing but instant remorse. I like being in on the group floor with this one, being able to enjoy each update, improvement and bug fix as the device evolved. I think they’re a great company, that makes interesting well designed products, but If I had a prerequisite list for all the must have featured I expected to see I wouldn’t have purchased it at all to avoid the inevitable cloud of disappointment that would surely be looming close by with every update. Anyhow, it’s unlike anything else, it’s far from perfect but unconcerned with the cost, I’m very happy with it… Waiting see which direction they take the device is kind of a moot point anyway. I’m assuming that if you aren’t at the top of some kind of preorder list at this point “waiting” is an inevitability without a fair amount of energy expenditure anyhow. It’s definitely not for everyone, that is certain, but I can’t imagine many people (cost aside) not appreciating the device once they have it in hand even with it’s current limitations.

Everyone seems to have forgotten that the headphone jack is TRRS, meaning you can potentially run a mono line in in future. Or did that go the way of the glow in the dark paint?

1 Like

@ludicrouSpeed It is there, the guide even shows how to connect a head-set, but it is a mic input, not a line input (the same as a phone, for example).

@ludicrouSpeed It is there, the guide even shows how to connect a head-set, but it is a mic input, not a line input (the same as a phone, for example).

Is there not a possibility that there is some type of switch to make it a line-in? I feel like this can be done somehow, but am not enough of a tech-boy to know…

The analog front end for mic and line-in are different, I think a sampling module would be more likely, but that depends on the module interface supporting a codec (A/D converter), which is a special type of high speed serial interface, not the same kind used for MIDI, for example.

@punji said:
The analog front end for mic and line-in are different, I think a sampling module would be more likely, but that depends on the module interface supporting a codec (A/D converter), which is a special type of high speed serial interface, not the same kind used for MIDI, for example.

Could be possible though ay? Like the original iRig for guitar with iPhone. It was an adaptor for the headphones. I’m pretty sure the quality was quite low, but to be honest I’d rather have low quality sampling than none at all.

I personally like the idea of being able to transfer samples directly from the PO-33.