Would you purchase a 799$ software which has already been cracked?

I used to use hacked software, like a lot of us I guess, but I don't do it anymore for a simple reason: creative constraint. I'm too easily distracted and if I have too many tools, I always end up tweaking knobs and envelopes instead of moving on. I've bought Ableton by the past, sold it, bought Bitwig, sold it (was it a mistake??), and now I'm learning to love Reaper (<3). Limiting myself to the use of a carefully/consciously chosen software helps me focus on achieving things (as the OP-1 does, by the way).

Other reasons involved have been cited already: coherence (some of those software are niche products, support from the users is vital), security and reliability (big deal), ease of use (hail free software!).

Dude, I have been thinking of going all linux with my new rig. I’ll prob still keep ableton/protool/logic on a laptop but I can’t wait to simplify down the 'puter rig.

I’m from the old days when we recorded to tape and screens only showed tv. =]

Oh, for any brave souls who want free music/production software…
http://www.bandshed.net/avlinux/

That’s all you need plus a little patience if you are new to linux. The user manual is fantastic and it has, music, photo, and video production stuff plus lots more.

-FB

@flybry:
Speaking of free Linux DAWs. You should Check out Tracktion if you haven’t already. Version5 is free on all platforms. https://www.tracktion.com

@jjbbllkk:
Haha, to be honest, your video motivated me to buy the software. You should make a contract with iZotope. lol :smiley: Best purchase since buying Logic X.

@dschu I’m getting tracktion 5 for sheezy!

Lmms is like free version of reason (kinda-like). I also use Energy-xt a little at times. It was like $25 or so. I read a good Craig Anderton review and was sold on the efficiency and ‘lite-ness’ Seq24 is a marvel of minimalism coming from a former Alesis MMT-8 user.

Upgrade from Intro to Suite is currently on sale !

Speaking of freeware, I’ve been enjoying a homebrew sampling app on my DS lite :slight_smile:

$800 ?

are you sure ?
doesnt that price include the push2 device ?

software prices :-
intro 80eur
standard 349 euro
suite 599 euro

i use legal music software , when i was much younger i downloaded games/cd/roms etc , but now i buy music software/hardware and console games are largely hard to pirate now , luckily theyre very cheap on ios.

i wouldn’t walk into a store and steal an op-1 or an octatrack.

and most software has demos

my machine gets untidy and a bit glitchy with cracked software on it

Less, you’re asking an implied moral question and I don’t think this is a question anyone can really help you answer. We know about it exactly as much as you do and cannot provide some new insight. We can offer personal opinions, but why should they matter in informing your own actions?

I would check out open source tools before using closed source DAWs, though. Pirated or not. They will not have all the same features, but they might provide what you want and it might be a more gratifying experience to use one in the long run.

If you post the list of features you want, people might suggest you alternatives to Ableton that are cheaper of free. That will be a far more constructive discussion, I think.

Good idea. I have enjoyed reading everyones thoughts, tho.

Man! you mean Nintendo DS?

What’s that app? I once tried Korg DS-10, but the sound quality is a bit lowfi, now DSN-12 on 3DS has a huge progress, they even added an oscilloscope which looks gooooorgeous:)

Speaking of freeware, I’ve been enjoying a homebrew sampling app on my DS lite :slight_smile:

haha my bad, they are offering discount till Mar28th.

Maybe that’s the reason why TE produced OP-1 instead of OP1.exe, OP1.dmg.

O(∩_∩)O

$800 ?
are you sure ?
doesnt that price include the push2 device ?

software prices :-
intro 80eur
standard 349 euro
suite 599 euro

i use legal music software , when i was much younger i downloaded games/cd/roms etc , but now i buy music software/hardware and console games are largely hard to pirate now , luckily theyre very cheap on ios.

i wouldn’t walk into a store and steal an op-1 or an octatrack.

and most software has demos

my machine gets untidy and a bit glitchy with cracked software on it

Man! you mean Nintendo DS?

What's that app? I once tried Korg DS-10, but the sound quality is a bit lowfi, now DSN-12 on 3DS has a huge progress, they even added an oscilloscope which looks gooooorgeous:)
Speaking of freeware, I've been enjoying a homebrew sampling app on my DS lite :)

It’s actually a pretty shitty sampler… And it’s old… Like by maybe 10 years, but it only just occurred to me that there may be some homebrew music apps on the ds (I have one of those micro SD cartridge things)…

So I dug it out and went through every piece of homebrew I could find. There are quite a few, but many which seemed like a waste of time.

One of the best ones is called protein, or sample D’s (I think)… Seems to go under two different names…

Anyway, you can create up to two simultaneous sample loops, sort of poor man’s scratch with the stylus, bit crush, best stutter…

Kinda cool to just have a second battery powered sampler… The DS mic has its own character… And running it through my old kpmini is fun…

Another good one is called cells DS - it’s a pretty straightforward sequencer with built in samples and some extra functions.

Lastly there’s glitchDS - an annoying thingey that is actually kinda cool, but I can’t decide. It uses an algorithm called “the game of life” or something, it’s cool… Don’t know how useful… But I would like to put some nice samples in there and really mess them up.

The last two apps, both use .raw files, and protein uses .wav - this is annoying because you can save your samples in protein, and if the other two used wavs, or protein used .Raw you could potentially create samples with protein and open them in the other two… The other two do not have a record function, but in told you can import.

Not a lot of support around for these homebrew DS apps from 10 years ago… Wonder why…

I am using the activated Ableton Live suite Version Free. but facing some glitches that are not very bad but ignorable.