You guys it happened!

Wow what a roller coaster.

So the previous owner tore the pads off the connector board, like GONE. The board was all mangled and burnt by the one pad too, what a mess.

Long story short I decided to dig thru the silicon to get to the other side of board sandwich and solder the jack terminals to that copper that I exposed and I kid you not IT WORKED. I now have a fully functional OP-1 without having to buy any parts lol

I am going to go to play with my new toy and will add to this when I can’t play with it anymore lol

6 Likes

Congratulations and enjoy it!

1 Like

Thank you, what a wild little machine! So much learning to do

Well to wrap this up, I reached out to TE and they sent me a link to buy the board! I ordered it, was pretty cheap actually. Well less expensive than I thought. Less than $130 shipped to my American front door.

1 Like

I am a new user as well. I love it, glad you get to have one too.

1 Like

New Connector Board kit arrived this afternoon. I live in east coast US, if anyone is wondering how long they take to ship one of these. I posted when I ordered it, so 5 days from when I emailed them asking them kindly for a board for my second-hand-purchased-broken OP-1 to having the part in my hand.

I’d say they have been stepping up their customer service!! Was a super smooth transaction.

And again, it was $99 + Shipping, I think a total of $127? Not bad!!

2 Likes

@sKyWhale congrats on the successful repair! do you have any pictures of your fix to the connector board? might be helpful for others looking to do the same thing!

1 Like

Good idea. I will attempt to remove the jack to show what it looks like. I have the new CB in, so I’ll try it in the name of science

1 Like

I unfortunately ruined the board for the demo here, but it is what it is. I wiped a surface mount diode off and cannot find it, not that I would know how to reattach it and in what orientation, so take it as a warning to be as careful as possible!!!

Also forgive the hideous state of this thing, I used a file to scrap the coating off to find tracings lol, a completely unnecessary step but it did lead me to thinking to dig thru the board.

Should I make this a separate topic?

Bummer about the diode. With a small enough solder tip you could probably get it back on if you could find it… but the orientation issue is a reason I like to take pictures as much as possible when working on these tiny things just so I hopefully have something to reference when a problem arises.

1 Like

I did have before pics, but this thing is sooo tiny, we’re talking like pin head lol.

I also had hit it with the file during the first repair, so I couldn’t tell orientation even if I found it. At least I have a new connector board already installed :sweat_smile:

1 Like

these things happen… sounds like you’ve got a good idea what you’re doing… and probably also adding to your experience of things not to do or be careful of.

Years ago I ran out of hands and decided to hold the soldering iron in my mount for a few seconds to readjust the angle on a wire I was trying to solder in place. For whatever reason my dog jumped up, caught the cable and the iron bumped my face for a split second. I haven’t done that maneuver since :smiley:

Are you going to keep working on this board, or time to give up on it?

1 Like

I was thinking of adding an fm transmitter, I ordered a few mini boards, but I’m not sure if I want to hook this up to OP-1 with that diode missing. I’m pretty sure it wouldn’t kill it, but I just don’t want to risk it.

Someone suggested using Captan (sp?) to protect the other components, I will for sure be picking up a roll of that for future projects lol

ok so i designed this board, the diode is just an ESD surge protector (PGB1010402KR), the orientation doesn’t matter and the OP-1 will work just fine without it (unless you zap it with some ESD, i guess) :slight_smile:

i think it’s great that you’re repairing this thing, i love seeing people bring dead electronics back to life. next time if you want to remove SMT parts without ripping the pads off, try chipquik desoldering alloy!
https://www.chipquik.com/store/index.php?cPath=200

kapton tape is great to have when repairing things too. and if you’re not already using it, some flux on the desoldering braid makes it work a lot better. especially for cleaning pads up so you can make a nice and tidy re-soldering.

5 Likes

Wow thank you Jon!!! That’s so helpful!!

I bought this guy with the pads/ jack already torn off, but I will also look into that suggested desolder alloy, in case I end up needing it for future repairs.

That’s a great tip for adding flux to my wick, I have not tried that but makes a tons of sense as soon as I read it lol.

Thanks again!

2 Likes

yea flux on the wick will make your life a million times easier
learned myself the hard way awhile back :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes