0 Coast opinions

Have you had Neutron and 0-Coast? How’s the built quality of the Behringer? How long have you had it? Favorite features?
Can’t beat the price of goo ol’ Behringer :slight_smile:

Thanks for the info…liking that second song! Well done :slight_smile:

I hate that feeling…selling stuff and regretting it

I don’t mind as long as I got a decent price and can get again relatively easily.

i just tested the ocoast some years ago but at this time I wasn‘t into Eurorack and more focused on diff. Hardware…actually iam using two Neutrons stacked together, polychained them and can’t be happier. The Quality is top notch (metal shafts, wide oscillator range, well thought patchbay, third digital oscillator (lfo)) just to name a few settings.

the ocoast is a bit wobbly but would be a good addition later on but the neutron is a good receipe against Eurorack because all the functions you need are there and Patchable.

1 Like

That looks like fun!

1 Like

I agree with this - if you don’t want to learn to patch/experiment with breaking normalled connections - the 0-coast is going to feel really abstract / limited.

Most synth friends of mine love the sound when I patch it up - but when they try to figure it out they give up.

My issue is I think every synth has its place - so without knowing more of your style/flow/gear expertise, can’t recommend what you might be into.

The reason I got one is because I wanted more Make Noise ‘modules’ without needing more eurorack HP. It’s fully modular - so it gets really deep if you learn/know how to patch, or own other patchable synths to mix it with.

The build/sound of the Behringers are surprisingly good, however, at least in Canada - getting quick repair components via Music Tribe is near impossible/costly. Sometimes months to wait for parts depending on current stock.

If you end up having an issue with the synth - it may not be economical to have it fixed ($80/hr $CAD for most tech work + costly parts)

Just my opinion on them. Ide have owned a few of it weren’t for these caveats.

The 0_Coast is a lot fo fun and forces you to think a little differently about how you make sounds and what not. But I kept running into situations where I had a patch going that I was not done with, but wanted to try something different that night with it. Not having any sort of preset saving (duh, I know) sort kept biting me in the ass and I’d end up saving things I didn’t want to delete or start over, but never really got that interested in finishing. In the end I sold it.

These days I’d rather fire up the iOS app Ripplemaker, that way I can save my half done ideas and revisit them later. Same sort of West Coast modular vibe, but a little more practical for what I was wanting/

2 Likes

Thanks for the insight! That’s something I would definitely have to consider.

Had the o coast but sold it. It is a very nice box with every taste of a tiny make noise system. But I sold it because the midi settings confused me. I Adressbuch i would consider the mother 32 (still have it, excellently Moog sound ) or the malekko manther or one of the other little boxes around.

0-coast is a great showcase how every module in a modular system can be used for all kinds of other purposes, beyond its obvious/intended/labelled. For instance the clock output has its own sound. Slope is an oscillator or a clock divider. Not to mention the incredible waveform shaping options. MIDI on this thing makes little sense to use. It was made to explore sounds that only loosely correspond to equal tempering… I’m happier with it now than on the day when I got it, and on that day I was pretty happy already.

3 Likes

this.

1 Like