10 Years with the OP1! A Decade later it's still one of the top selling synths worldwide

10 years with the OP1! :balloon: A decade later and there’s still nothing else quite like it. Here’s a quick overview of what it’s actually capable of and why I think everyone should at least try it out:

7 Likes

I don’t understand how it still has a mini usb jack… They could have gone to usb-c for the redesign… I hate mini usb and would never buy anything with it at this point… Usb-c is the new standard for a reason… Plus why not have easy change batteries if your cheaper device has it?? Stuff like that is just crazy to me and i feel the opz replaced the op1 for me… I know others swear by it but i can’t get into it.

2 Likes

Two different beasts IMO.

1 Like

Liam
Did you find any figures for sales of the OP1? just curious about many have been sold.

1 Like

i’m guessing something like hundreds of thousands but no I don’t know.

In the first 5 years (2011-2016), I estimated a long time ago, based on the original serial number format, that around 15000 units had been produced.

1 Like

thanks for that.
wow, that is a lot of OP1s sold. go TE!

I’m the only person I know personally that has an OP1. But a friend’s 12yo kid saw mine, and said his school had one. And I’ve seen the OP1 in the MOMA design stores in New York and Tokyo, which must give it a lot of exposure outside of just the music scene obsessive-types.

2 Likes

I have a feeling that it’s way more than that.

Apparently it’s a very common instrument in places like germany/sweden.

1 Like

As I said, that figure does not account for the last 5 years… it is impossible to say, maybe there was some huge increase in sales for that period, but for sure the last price increase has caused a negative impact on that.

1 Like