A website to turn any sound on the internet into a drum or synth patch

Congratulations on this work, great idea and execution, I’m impressed!

To my understanding, sampler synth metadata can also set the reference frequency for pitch (other than A 220Hz which I think is the reference). See this thread https://op-forums.com/t/root-of-user-samples-in-synth/2017/3

It would be awesome if we could set the “root note” in your tool for the sampler synth manually!

1 Like

@jsmonzani Love that idea! Wasn’t aware of the base_freq parameter. I added that in. Now you can download a sample that and set the “Root note”. The root note will map the pitch of the sample to the correct piano key. For example, this is a Bb sample of a piano mapped to the Bb key.

3 Likes

Wow, that was fast! Thank you,I will try it soon! Just bought my OP1 three days ago :sweat_smile: so I’m still discovering it!

1 Like

so I’ve updated the website so you can create equally spaced splice points in drum loop patches for the op-1 and op-z. I really wanted to do this so I could “sequence” sample loops in sync with a beat. i.e. make breakbeat type stuff with shuffled sequences of quantized portions of a drum beat. you can check it out here: https://teoperator.com/ its best used with a drum loop (< 12 seconds) that already set to the correct length (i.e., 16 beats @ 120 bpm should be 8 seconds) and then set the splice number to 16. then you can use “endless” on the op-1 at 1/4 speed at 60bpm or use the sequencer on the op-1 to play it back perfectly.

here’s a demo with a breakbeat being sequenced on the op-z (op-z track set to 1/4 speed, tempo set to tempo of drum loop, 174 bpm, and sequencing two tracks simultaneously hard panned with different step components):

and here’s a demo for the op-1:

the tool can also be downloaded so you can use it offline. using it offline will let you also make drum kits really easily, just by running things like teoperator drum kick1.wav snare.wav ...etc..... more info about that at the code repo: GitHub - schollz/teoperator: Make OP-1 and OP-Z drum and synth patches from any sound.

if you have any questions, I’m happy to answer / help. I think this changed my whole concept of what the op-z and op-1 can do (live shuffling of drum loops!!). hope someone else might enjoy!

3 Likes