Last week I went down a rabbit hole trying to understand OP-1 patches. In the end I made some utilities to help my workflow - a tool to generate synth patches from any sound automatically, and a tool to generate a set of drum patches from several minutes of audio. I’ve integrated both these tools as website: https://op1z.com. This website is now in beta…meaning it works pretty well for me but I’m sure there are some bugs I haven’t found. It may not fit your workflow, but I’ve found it useful for some repeated patterns:
- I use it to make synth patches from things I find on the internet. For example: samples from UIowa electronic studio (e.g. this piano sample, this cello sample), from wikipedia (e.g. a didigeridoo), from youtube (e.g. as a joke this whistle)
- I use it to make drum patches out of spoken word. For example poetry from the library of congress, or poetry from youtube. Also drum beats from instagram. The website automatically splits these into key assignments.
When I say I’ve found it useful, I mean that I can process samples much faster. I use a lot of spoken word for my albums so I process a lot of samples. My previous method for getting samples to open the sample on my phone and use the line in to record it, but is slow for lots of samples. I don’t have a daw, so this website has been working well instead.
Also for those interested, the website is open-source.
I just wanted to put this out there as a resource. If it works for your flow, then great.
Edit: updated links